“Starting Afresh and waking up in the wilderness” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of X2 Kui Buri

X2 Kui Buri
Singapore, Singapore
“Starting Afresh and waking up in the wilderness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

It’s easy to see why Thailand makes a regular appearance in Wanderlus+. Perhaps coming from a faint lineage of Thai bloodline has fostered an affinity between us.

On 9 acres of land, once owned by a Thai royalty, the present owners of X2 Kui Buri fell in love with the site and bought it almost immediately and scouted for an architect right away. Tucked away in seclusion, its original site housed a small fishing hut and the owners tried to conserve it but to no avail, due to age, the hut was crumbling apart.

X2 is owned and managed by the Centara Hotel & Resort Group and is a member of more well known, The Design Hotel & Tablet Hotels. X2 Kui Buri is designed by Duangrit Bunnag Architects and is made up of 23 semi private villas that come with their own terrace, garden and private pool.

When I came across X2’s site, it was a tough fight because they have several other properties scattered throughout Thailand. But I finally settled for Kui Buri because of its architecture, secluded location and the fact that there were very little reviews about the place.

Simply said, I like, I see, I go.

Call me shallow but I have a weakness for all things beautiful. This contemporist cave was put together with a combination of indigenous materials (native; produces, growing, or living, naturally in a country or climate; not exotic, not imported) ,modern lines and with each villa overlooking the seafront. I have always liked the look and usage of raw materials and X2 has carved its distinctive use of locally quarried rocks as their wall exterior, wooden boardwalks harmonizing with its natural peace. Little did I know about the advantages of using stones is that they increase the thermal mass of a building, giving increased comfort in the heat and cold, making it heat resistant and that it is a good fire protection. The skillful masonry is heavyly emphasized throughout its property, making X2 a clear distinction from its competitors.

What makes Kui Buri special, is the absence of local beach boys, parked jet skis, tourists parasailing and ladies touting their wares. I came not expecting top notch five star service and cleverly answered by the owner in a recent interview, that it is not a place for distraction, diversion but simply a hideaway. That being said, I wanted a place where I could wake up, take a dip in the pool, wade till my skin wrinkles, climb back up and find myself asleep on the deck chair with the abundance of sunrays. Luxury is the ability of waking up in the morning with no desire of getting out of bed, rolled up into nicely pressed comforters, starring into a bed of clouds and drifting in and out of sleep.

When residing in X2, it is made known that the nearest local town is not just a stone throw away and getting out of the gates, mean hiring a driver to take you down town. I chose the easier way of dining in. Since it was my birthday, my partner and I decided to dress up and brought our own bottle of Oyster Bay, and like most places, the corkage fee was 500 baht, pretty much the standard around the world. I must give the restaurant 4K (pronounce as fork) the highest deserving commendation during our stay. Not only were the cocktails and food fabulous,each dish served was beautifully styled in their platter with the right amount and beautifully garnished. The manager of the place, Chat, seemed to be the only guy from Bangkok who spoke decent English and he made this joyous occasion even more special when he presented my birthday cake in darkness.

X2 is definitely a hideaway. An unpretentious spot for all who love nature, seek solace and just away from entertainment and shopping. It was a luxury to wake up in a contemporist cave to chirping birds, pine, eucalyptus and tamarind trees and spend late mornings after our breakfast playing the French game, pétanque, under the shady pine trees and afternoons sipping down cocktails while enjoying our reads.

Since its opening, International acclaimed DJ, Tiësto has graced his presence by spending 3 days, in the villa, with the accompaniment of waves and recorded his album, “In search of Sunrise 7”. He sure has his way of getting away from the fast paced cities and sought tranquility in this hideaway, just like I did.

To wrap things up, X2 is a 5 star design hotel but I hope that in time, they would make it mandatory to have their service staff trained towards excellence so as to aim towards holding on to a four or five star title. Unless you are a seasoned traveler of all sorts, Kui Buri town isn’t set-up for tourism yet. My partner and I were certainly put at ease with the warm smiles of teh staff working there. We were both reluctant to leave and felt it was definitely a place etched in our hearts.

To view more of my personal photos, visit http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126582294023079&ref=ts or search for Wanderlus+ in blogspot.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Thai first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

This resort is catered to young adults given the modern design of the rooms and premises. The site has a large pool, a comfortable lounge/eating area and a small bar but that's about it! If you were to pay the rack rate ( which is similar to other boutique brands), it would definitely be poor value for money. Though the rack rate almost suggests them to be among the leagues of Alila, Evason, Como, Banyan, they fail for the following reasons: i) I had difficulty asking simple questions such as "when do you have free slots for a massage today?" I had asked the reception, operator as well as the staff at the spa and no one could provide us with an answer , ii) the F&B selection was very limited for a resort so isolated, iii) there is no real spa facility. The 'spa' is one room and staffed with one male and one female staff neither of which could speak English. I was uncomfortable having a male masseuse in the room (he gave my boyfriend a foot massage) however I would have been unable to communicate this so I just surrendered to him being there.

On the positive side, there was a "manager' on the premise that could indeed speak some English and was very helpful when we were trying to book a car to Bangkok. We were initially booked to stay for 3 nights but given we craved Thai food and a proper massage, we left a day early to Bangkok to fulfill our cravings.

If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful getaway and don't care much for food and spa (it wasn't "bad" it was just not among the likes of other 5/6-star resorts), this is the resort for you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

One of my favorite hotel in Thailand now. Going forward i will be using this X2 brand by centera more often. Lovely hotel, awesome service. All the staffs here are well trained and super attentive. our family pretty much do not have to ask for anything at all. it seem like the staffs here are trained to read our minds. The room here is super cool my wife love the design of it. We stay at the pool villa with a beautiful setting and super private atmosphere. The location is a little off but this resort didn't take advantage of us by overcharging food and etc. They price their food and drinks just about right.
I would like to compliment Ra and lek our server here at 4K restaurant these frontline workers make or break a nice resort, two big thumbs up for them. Overall i would not hesitate to recommend anyone to come here and enjoy their holidays just like us. for now let me go back to my lovely wife and baby AAron and finish our super tasty breakfast here again at the 4k restaurant right in front of the beach in X2 resort.. Cheers

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fay747400
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

We holiday twice yearly in Thailand and try to visit a new destination at least once a year. This year it was Kui Buri that won out. We had just spent new year in Chiang Mai and flew in Don Muang where we were met by the hotel Car.

The Mini Van was spacious and if my memory is correct, was set up with 6 seats, rather than the usual 9 - allowing more space. There were towels and water on board and the driver stopped twice for us on the way down.

The resort is fantastic - The team were so enthusiastic - especially the manager Mak and the F&B manager Aon. They did so much to make our stay perfect. Being an Irish man I do like a my food served very hot and on hot plates. After one false start the F&B team made sue everything was exactly as I wanted it for the rest of the vacation.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa - My 10 year old daughter snagged the upstairs one as soon as she saw it. The rooms are the best I have stayed in. Very spacious, well appointed, very very comfortable beds, and looking out onto our private pool and the sea beyond. The bathrooms are very very spacious with great toiletries, and a standard and rain shower (which had a clothes line option too - one of the nice touches). The internet is great - fast and reliable and free. Fantastic in room entertainment and floor to double cieling height french doors that opened up fully exposing the whole room to the private pool and sea.

The location and view are one of the things that make this resort - but there are several other things aside - including the staff, the design, the attention to detail and some of the nicest touches that seem unique to this hotel. (for example it is assumed that you have a DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door unless you ask otherwise).

The food is fantastic and there are great daily specials and promotions - for example they had a 3 hour cocktail buffet for 480 baht ++ and a TAB menu including wine, Both the western and Thai food is excellent and the choices are good.

There are many things to do close by - within a ten-15 minute drive - The beautiful beach of Ao Manao is probably as nice as the best beaches in Krabi, but without the crowds of farang - It is a very Thai resort and under the control of the military. This beach was the landing post of the Japanese WW2 invasion of SE Asia, and there is a nearby air and military base and museum. There is also a fantastic indoor aquarium - about 30 times bigger and 50 times better than the one in Siam Paragon - and only 20 baht entrance! There are also island tours, squid fishing (great fun for all the family), temples and a dozen other activities.

THere is a nice food court across from the beach and vendors will bring food and drink to you on the beach. Food and drink is very cheap at beach as are deckchair and tables - some of the cheapest I have found in Thailand.

I would recommend a car - but the hotel provides a car and driver (and guide if required) on a daily rate, and also provides bicycles for free,

Its a great place - very very well worth the price

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
tommy rasmussen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

We spend one week in X2 kui buri - went to evason, phuket - but had to go back to this fantstic place.
If you like design - aesthetic architecture - nice staff - relaxing atmosphere - and like the small details - this is where you want to spend your long missed vacations.

A small detail we liked very much was - as they write in theire in-room-booklet - "we think the internet is like the air we breathe - it has to be there..." - im so tired of spending $ on one-hour-internet-connection - so 1980 !

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank smussencom
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2009

Stayed here during mid November, visiting a friend in the area

Beautiful views, quiet beach..

You can talk to the fisherman, and the families..get a real taste of Thai life..

Restaurant had a good Seafood Buffet BBQ, very tasty..complete with curries, fried rice, etc.

Breakfast was also very good, great views in the morning

Nice pool area, well designed..nice to relax on the sunbeds

So yeah, if you want to visit somewhere serene, quiet, this is the place for you

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank TimmyTabasco
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

We stayed for 2 nights at X2 in Kui Buri about 2 weeks ago. It was one of the most pleasant hotel/resorts in which I have ever had the pleasure to stay. We had a 2-story Suite Pool Villa that was right on the beach. The resort looks as if it came from the Frank Lloyd Wright school of design. Quite minimalist and modern. The resort's goal is to give the guest isolation and peace while at the same time allowing any level of pampering you desire, In our case they succeeded. I would have been just as happy to have never left the room. The room was spacious, clean and provided most creature comforts you would desire. The location is not for everyone since the resort is the only thing around, on the end of a dirt road. But that is precisely why I loved it so much. No noisy night life to intrude on your peaceful holiday. The restaurant/bar is open air and had great food with a nice selection of drinks. the service was excellent but not intrusive.
We rented a motorcycle for the day and rode out to a small fishing village and the beach and town at Ao Manao, a historic location with many sights to see, including a splendid little temple up 396 monkey filled stairs that provides a great panorama of the area. There are many other places to visit in the area if your stay is longer. Highly recommended if you can afford the rather high (for Thailand) prices. I would definitely go back when I feel like pampering myself.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple