“Not worth the money”

X2 Kui Buri
Singapore, Singapore
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We stayed here during Christmas 2010 with friends and family. Location is abt 100 km south of Hua Hin and it takes about 4 hours to get to the hotel by car from Bangkok.

* Hotel: the (four) beach villa's are located almost on the beach and you hear the sound of the waves. This is the most positive factor of the hotel. The other villa's are at the back and almost every villa is fenced all the way around. This can make it very hot during the day. If you like to be completely secluded it could be of interest but so is prison.

* Spa: There is a small massage villa but the level is not better then any spa in Thailand and not representing a five star resort.

* Service: alhough the local employees are doing their best they lack education, experience in service and knowledge of the English language and simply common sense. Only one gentleman could speak english well and he only arrived just before Christmas. Before that it was difficult to explain and get what you like. Furthermore, on the morning of the 25th around 06:00 am the hotel decided it was time for some maintenance. When we informed them with our half sleepy head that maybe this was not the best time of the day the only reply we received was Yes Yes Yes and they continued 40 meters further. Same thing happened the next morning AND evening again. Besides that this is not comprehensible for us it is not serious for a resort in general and especially one which claims to be five stars;

Restaurant: One of the things we enjoy most in Thailand is the local food. FORGET ABOUT IT. The menu consists of burgers, sandwiches, microwaved pastas, canned soup / tuna and Vietnamese (!) springrolls which actually came closest to representing Thai food. Another small example: four km away, along the main road, there are many fresh fruit stalls with great mango's etc. We were not able to locate them in the restaurant so at some stage we bought them ourselves and asked the restaurant to clean & serve them.

Pool: The pool area is nice although no jacuzzi etc available;

Gym: We are still looking for it;

Beach: with high tide impossible to walk on, lots of jeylly fish and stone / rock formation in the water.

Location: if the service would be better and with a normal Thai restaurant the location might be nice if you like to be far away from the rest of the living world. In this case you are more or less stuck in the hotel and you do not have possibilities to walk to another restaurant or any shops. There is a small village abt 25 mintues drive to the south where you can buy sun cream, hats and try some real thai food.

Understood that in the past this hotel was under different management and that the service / quality was a lot better. In the rooms is a lot of information about participating in new hotels / rooms (better give your money to the locals) from the Centara group which shows enough and the way the hotel is managed now is destructive.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthijs1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Thai first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This is my first day at X2 Kui Buri. I have heard lots of good things about X2 as my fiance stayed at their Samui Resort. I will list out the problems and have a long description below.

Negative

- location way too far
- sad looking beach
- a/c not working when we first arrived to the room
- rooms way too small for a resort that is out of nowhere
- outdoor furniture old and some parts are moldy... DISGUSTING
- lack of activities
- food sucks and portions are minuscule

Positive

- completely out of nowhere if you want to hide from the world
- quiet
- swimming pool looks half decent

First problem is the location. In their website they state that it is 3 hours away from Bangkok and 30 minutes from Hua Hin however it is actually 4 hours from Bangkok and 1 hr from Hua Hin. First thing I noticed when I got to the room was that it is very small for a resort that is out of nowhere. It is the size of a Bangkok boutique hotel or smaller. When we got to the room the a/c was not working and the maintenance crew had to go put freon inside. Next I take a look at their cheaply made resort booklet. The cover is nice however the inside is made from cheap photocopied paper that is falling apart. Also their landscaping is a mess. The grass is dying in many parts of the resort, plastic is showing where rocks are supposed to cover the grounds. The cheap outdoor furniture looks like it is going to fall apart in a few years and the large beach umbrella next to our outdoor lounge chairs outside our room is completely full of mold... DISGUSTING!!! Also they are really cheap with their food. The prices are far from cheap but the amount of given is the same size of a meal you get from 7-11. I ordered a prawn tom yum goong spaghetti and only had 2 shrimps in it. It is a shame that they call themselves a luxury resort. Overall I would NEVER waste my money going to this X2 resort at Kuri Buri again. This may be an exception compared to other X2 resorts however it was such a disappointment I would rather take my money elsewhere. I have another 2 nights here with nothing to do and nowhere to go except drive an hour to Hua Hin to find some better food. I will add photos soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charlesreviews
Lisbon
Reviewed 20 November 2010

The resort is one of the most beautiful places i've seen. Found it on designhotels.com and dreamed about staying there for a few days on a escape from Bangkok.

During booking and some light research I got the ideia that the resort wasn't so isolated as I expected. It takes about 4hour drive from Bangkok and 1hour drive from Hua Hin.

When I arrived I was really surprised how far away I was from everything. I was sort of chocked because I don't like to be confined to just one place, and i like to have independent options aside from what an hotel or resort can offer. X2 is 90 to 100km from everything. I think this should be clearly stated in the hotel web page. Also, I wanted to get some sun liyng on a sandy beach...I found no beach...yes there is a pool,even my room had a pool, but I wanted a beach also. The hotel staff told me that the monsoon washed way the sand...I wasn't convinced, and if that happened I think the the reservation center should advise clients about this fact.

During dinner at the resort restaurant (no other option) a saw a scorpion on the wall. I asked if it was venomous, and they told me it was. That is ok for me, and acceptable because you are in the wild, but at that moment e didn't felt safe...if I was bitten by the scorpion it would take me about 2 or more hours to get medical help.

The resort, rooms, design are really amazing and breath taking, but the hotel needs some maintenance, the wooden floor is getting a careless look, and for me that is completly anti-design. In my room, the parasol in the private pool was all drilled by moths and dirty...it shoud be replaced long time ago, or it shouldn't be there at all...again a careless and sloppy look in a place like this shouldn't be tolerated.

I was supposed to be there for 4 nights, and check out the next morning.

The hotel staff were very cooperative and understanding. They understood that the resort didn't fulfill neither my partner and my needs.

If you are looking for a place to relax away from everything and all you want do is to sit down and relax by a pool or the quiteness of the surrondings this is the place to be.

A recomend a one night stay just for the sake of design vs nature...but that is more than enough.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PiresDeAzevedo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 November 2010

It’s easy to see why Thailand makes a regular appearance in Wanderlus+. Perhaps coming from a faint lineage of Thai bloodline has fostered an affinity between us.

On 9 acres of land, once owned by a Thai royalty, the present owners of X2 Kui Buri fell in love with the site and bought it almost immediately and scouted for an architect right away. Tucked away in seclusion, its original site housed a small fishing hut and the owners tried to conserve it but to no avail, due to age, the hut was crumbling apart.

X2 is owned and managed by the Centara Hotel & Resort Group and is a member of more well known, The Design Hotel & Tablet Hotels. X2 Kui Buri is designed by Duangrit Bunnag Architects and is made up of 23 semi private villas that come with their own terrace, garden and private pool.

When I came across X2’s site, it was a tough fight because they have several other properties scattered throughout Thailand. But I finally settled for Kui Buri because of its architecture, secluded location and the fact that there were very little reviews about the place.

Simply said, I like, I see, I go.

Call me shallow but I have a weakness for all things beautiful. This contemporist cave was put together with a combination of indigenous materials (native; produces, growing, or living, naturally in a country or climate; not exotic, not imported) ,modern lines and with each villa overlooking the seafront. I have always liked the look and usage of raw materials and X2 has carved its distinctive use of locally quarried rocks as their wall exterior, wooden boardwalks harmonizing with its natural peace. Little did I know about the advantages of using stones is that they increase the thermal mass of a building, giving increased comfort in the heat and cold, making it heat resistant and that it is a good fire protection. The skillful masonry is heavyly emphasized throughout its property, making X2 a clear distinction from its competitors.

What makes Kui Buri special, is the absence of local beach boys, parked jet skis, tourists parasailing and ladies touting their wares. I came not expecting top notch five star service and cleverly answered by the owner in a recent interview, that it is not a place for distraction, diversion but simply a hideaway. That being said, I wanted a place where I could wake up, take a dip in the pool, wade till my skin wrinkles, climb back up and find myself asleep on the deck chair with the abundance of sunrays. Luxury is the ability of waking up in the morning with no desire of getting out of bed, rolled up into nicely pressed comforters, starring into a bed of clouds and drifting in and out of sleep.

When residing in X2, it is made known that the nearest local town is not just a stone throw away and getting out of the gates, mean hiring a driver to take you down town. I chose the easier way of dining in. Since it was my birthday, my partner and I decided to dress up and brought our own bottle of Oyster Bay, and like most places, the corkage fee was 500 baht, pretty much the standard around the world. I must give the restaurant 4K (pronounce as fork) the highest deserving commendation during our stay. Not only were the cocktails and food fabulous,each dish served was beautifully styled in their platter with the right amount and beautifully garnished. The manager of the place, Chat, seemed to be the only guy from Bangkok who spoke decent English and he made this joyous occasion even more special when he presented my birthday cake in darkness.

X2 is definitely a hideaway. An unpretentious spot for all who love nature, seek solace and just away from entertainment and shopping. It was a luxury to wake up in a contemporist cave to chirping birds, pine, eucalyptus and tamarind trees and spend late mornings after our breakfast playing the French game, pétanque, under the shady pine trees and afternoons sipping down cocktails while enjoying our reads.

Since its opening, International acclaimed DJ, Tiësto has graced his presence by spending 3 days, in the villa, with the accompaniment of waves and recorded his album, “In search of Sunrise 7”. He sure has his way of getting away from the fast paced cities and sought tranquility in this hideaway, just like I did.

To wrap things up, X2 is a 5 star design hotel but I hope that in time, they would make it mandatory to have their service staff trained towards excellence so as to aim towards holding on to a four or five star title. Unless you are a seasoned traveler of all sorts, Kui Buri town isn’t set-up for tourism yet. My partner and I were certainly put at ease with the warm smiles of teh staff working there. We were both reluctant to leave and felt it was definitely a place etched in our hearts.

To view more of my personal photos, visit http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126582294023079&ref=ts or search for Wanderlus+ in blogspot.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 October 2010

This resort is catered to young adults given the modern design of the rooms and premises. The site has a large pool, a comfortable lounge/eating area and a small bar but that's about it! If you were to pay the rack rate ( which is similar to other boutique brands), it would definitely be poor value for money. Though the rack rate almost suggests them to be among the leagues of Alila, Evason, Como, Banyan, they fail for the following reasons: i) I had difficulty asking simple questions such as "when do you have free slots for a massage today?" I had asked the reception, operator as well as the staff at the spa and no one could provide us with an answer , ii) the F&B selection was very limited for a resort so isolated, iii) there is no real spa facility. The 'spa' is one room and staffed with one male and one female staff neither of which could speak English. I was uncomfortable having a male masseuse in the room (he gave my boyfriend a foot massage) however I would have been unable to communicate this so I just surrendered to him being there.

On the positive side, there was a "manager' on the premise that could indeed speak some English and was very helpful when we were trying to book a car to Bangkok. We were initially booked to stay for 3 nights but given we craved Thai food and a proper massage, we left a day early to Bangkok to fulfill our cravings.

If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful getaway and don't care much for food and spa (it wasn't "bad" it was just not among the likes of other 5/6-star resorts), this is the resort for you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
San Dimas, California
Reviewed 19 September 2010

One of my favorite hotel in Thailand now. Going forward i will be using this X2 brand by centera more often. Lovely hotel, awesome service. All the staffs here are well trained and super attentive. our family pretty much do not have to ask for anything at all. it seem like the staffs here are trained to read our minds. The room here is super cool my wife love the design of it. We stay at the pool villa with a beautiful setting and super private atmosphere. The location is a little off but this resort didn't take advantage of us by overcharging food and etc. They price their food and drinks just about right.
I would like to compliment Ra and lek our server here at 4K restaurant these frontline workers make or break a nice resort, two big thumbs up for them. Overall i would not hesitate to recommend anyone to come here and enjoy their holidays just like us. for now let me go back to my lovely wife and baby AAron and finish our super tasty breakfast here again at the 4k restaurant right in front of the beach in X2 resort.. Cheers

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fay747400
Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We holiday twice yearly in Thailand and try to visit a new destination at least once a year. This year it was Kui Buri that won out. We had just spent new year in Chiang Mai and flew in Don Muang where we were met by the hotel Car.

The Mini Van was spacious and if my memory is correct, was set up with 6 seats, rather than the usual 9 - allowing more space. There were towels and water on board and the driver stopped twice for us on the way down.

The resort is fantastic - The team were so enthusiastic - especially the manager Mak and the F&B manager Aon. They did so much to make our stay perfect. Being an Irish man I do like a my food served very hot and on hot plates. After one false start the F&B team made sue everything was exactly as I wanted it for the rest of the vacation.

We stayed in a two bedroom villa - My 10 year old daughter snagged the upstairs one as soon as she saw it. The rooms are the best I have stayed in. Very spacious, well appointed, very very comfortable beds, and looking out onto our private pool and the sea beyond. The bathrooms are very very spacious with great toiletries, and a standard and rain shower (which had a clothes line option too - one of the nice touches). The internet is great - fast and reliable and free. Fantastic in room entertainment and floor to double cieling height french doors that opened up fully exposing the whole room to the private pool and sea.

The location and view are one of the things that make this resort - but there are several other things aside - including the staff, the design, the attention to detail and some of the nicest touches that seem unique to this hotel. (for example it is assumed that you have a DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door unless you ask otherwise).

The food is fantastic and there are great daily specials and promotions - for example they had a 3 hour cocktail buffet for 480 baht ++ and a TAB menu including wine, Both the western and Thai food is excellent and the choices are good.

There are many things to do close by - within a ten-15 minute drive - The beautiful beach of Ao Manao is probably as nice as the best beaches in Krabi, but without the crowds of farang - It is a very Thai resort and under the control of the military. This beach was the landing post of the Japanese WW2 invasion of SE Asia, and there is a nearby air and military base and museum. There is also a fantastic indoor aquarium - about 30 times bigger and 50 times better than the one in Siam Paragon - and only 20 baht entrance! There are also island tours, squid fishing (great fun for all the family), temples and a dozen other activities.

THere is a nice food court across from the beach and vendors will bring food and drink to you on the beach. Food and drink is very cheap at beach as are deckchair and tables - some of the cheapest I have found in Thailand.

I would recommend a car - but the hotel provides a car and driver (and guide if required) on a daily rate, and also provides bicycles for free,

Its a great place - very very well worth the price

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family