“Very good value”

Ranked #7 of 14 Restaurants in Llandysul
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2017

It's a very long time since the Gwarcefel was the place for a meal - until Holdens have taken over the restaurant which now opens on Thurs, Fri, Sat and for Sunday lunch. The restaurant itself has had a well needed makeover and the menu offers choice of 4 starters, main course and puds - including vegetarian option. This gets busy - so vital to book. The wine list could be improved but all in all excellent value and very enjoyable food.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank yllaw

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Decided to go for a meal for Mother's Day on Saturday night instead of Sunday as it's too busy on a Sunday! Had a fantastic meal and it was by far the best food we have had from all the local pubs in our area! Am going to highly recommend to all friends and family as the food was spot on! Service was great, waitress was lovely! Definitely call here again!

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Fiona D
Reviewed 21 February 2017

Like previous reviews we booked as a party of 6 for a Saturday evening after hearing the good reviews being circulated about the place.
The Restaurant area has only been open for around three months and I think nothing has really changed in the makeup of this typical small village pub.
But, don't let that put you off as the proprietor informed us that converting the premises into a well presented surroundings is currently "Work in progress" and I don't doubt his commitment.
Anyway, we went for the food and my word we were not disappointed. The small restaurant area seats around 30 and was fully booked.
The staff were very friendly, polite and attentive to each tables requirements.
When you look at the menu, quality of the food rather than quantity of selection is the order of the day which I felt worked well. What was presented to our table was of a very high standard.
I can recommend the fillet steak, rump of lamb or for fish lovers the fillet of sea bass and loin of cod all served with home made potato gratin.
Don't forget to leave room for the home made deserts.
Make sure to book in advance, In my opinion you will be presently surprised.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Bergerac1025
Reviewed 20 January 2017

My husband and I ate at The Gwarcefel last night. It was a bit of an impulse but we were glad to discover that we were able to reserve a table for 8.30 p.m. at short notice. We certainly were not disappointed.
The staff were all friendly ,welcoming, polite and helpful. We were not rushed. It was a comfortable, relaxed experience.
My starter of warm figs with Perl Las cheese was amazing. The main course was a lamb dish which was perfectly cooked and the chocolate fondant with mint ice cream was dreamy
There was a deal available last night, offering a free starter or dessert. This just made the evening even more worthwhile.
I am sure that we will be visiting Holden's at The Gwarcefel whenever we want a treat.

Date of visit: January 2017
2  Thank Rhian62
Reviewed 3 December 2016

I was looking for somewhere a bit different to take a couple of friends visiting from Cardiff. I had heard the Gwarcefel Arms had a new chef and it was recommended by several people, so I booked and we went along.
One of my friends wanted the more traditional Sunday carvery-style meal, but his wife and I wanted more variety. D. and I had starters - a very substantial prawn cocktail in his case, and a mild but satisfying curried cauliflower soup in mine. Both came served with warm, crispy bread rolls.
D. then had the beef for his main course, which he found cooked to perfection, A. had the vegetarian goat's cheese and broccoli Wellington, and I chose the sea bream with parsley butter sauce. All were stylishly presented and ample portions. There were also plenty of vegetables to share. We then couldn't resist the sound of the creme brulée and were not disappointed. I couldn't even eat all of mine as the portion was so generous!
The service was prompt and pleasant, and the atmosphere relaxing. I would highly recommend it.

Date of visit: November 2016