The Crown Inn
US$132
US$119
US$99
US$95
All reviewsfour poster bedkings suiteold world charmsteeped in historythe pubfull englishvillage greena lovely stayvillage churchbed and breakfastnewer partroll top bathstopping off pointlast saturdaylovely old buildingsloping floorsstayed one night
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The Crown is certainly worth a visit for the ambience and the history - but I wouldn't go any further than that. Calling in on the off chance for a bar snack and a pot of tea, we did have high expectations, seeing the character and charm of the building. However the staff have some serious attitude! The menus were practically thrown at us, and my polite enquiries on the menu were met with some patronising answers. We politely asked for chips, not fries with battered fish (this is normal, surely?) and the staff were unhelpful and rude, taking a further 15 mins to return the dish. We were brought the wrong bill, and felt that we were more a nuisance than valued customers.

It is a lovely place - but I wouldn't bother again. Such a shame!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed there with my husband on 28th December for one night. Very nice pub with open fires and food was very nice.

The room we stayed in was a little noisy as you could here the pub downstairs until closing which was okay but the noise in the car park after closing carried on into the earlier hours.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cornelia-HA
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked a Saturday night stay at the Crown for my birthday in January 2013 . I was very pleased to find that the Inn met with all my expectations , a cosy place with character in bucket loads. Staff were friendly and effcient and the bar area , restaurant and bed room were all beautiful spaces . Not the last word in luxury but completely satisfactory for any reasonable need .On the main "b"road but quiet and very comfortable Menu was compact but the food on it was very well cooked and delivered and the Englsih breakfast was better than one I had recently at the Connaught ! Heartily recommend it .

Room Tip: Ask for a 4 poster at the back .
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 31/12/12 because we were going to a wedding that evening. The lady at reception could not have been any more helpful. She called cab companies and tried to get us a cab to take us to the wedding and pick us up. Obviously being New Year's Eve we should have really pre booked but this lovely lady found someone for us. We had done lunch before we went and I must say the food was lovely but the bar man could have been a bit friendlier! We asked him if he was still serving lunch and he replied "I think so" and then didn't even bother giving us a menu, we had to ask a waitress for one. We loved our room, lots of character. If your looking for modern mod cons then this isn't for you but it is historical. The bed was the most amazing four poster bed which had little carved characters in. We did also gave breakfast the next day and the lady that served us was sooo lovely, she couldn't do enough for us! We will Definetly be back.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We recently enjoyed a mini-break-honeymoon at the Crown Inn and I would absolutely recommend it for several reasons.
The aesthetic and historical delight of The Crown speaks for itself. Above and beyond these obvious charms were the willing and smiling staff, and an evening meal in the restaurant which was of outstanding quality. The steak was excellent.
The bar was full of friendly locals, and the room itself (particular the bed and bath) were truly decadent. Warning: If you're of above-average height be prepared for bumping your head on the gorgeous (but very low) beams!
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Tudor Room has an enormous claw-foot bath and a gorgeous oak canopied bed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple