“Definitely visit again!”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Price range: US$13 - US$27
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Crown Inn Chiddingfold, Condé Nast Johansens Most Excellent Inn in Great Britain 2010 and awarded Recommended Status for 2011. An idyllic English pub, The Crown Inn nestles in a quiet corner of the picture-perfect village green of Chiddingfold in Surrey. Totally refurbished, the olde world charm of the property has been lovingly maintained and sympathetically blended with a more sophisticated and contemporary decor. Beautiful stained-glass windows provide a stunning backdrop to our dining rooms, whilst our downstairs bar has an informal ambience. Our AA coveted 5 Stars has been awarded again in 2013 with the added bonus of a yellow star award, to sit alongside our 'Highly Commended status' for 2013. We are proud to be in the top 10% of only 11 Inns in England.
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Charming building with friendly staff. Food was simply excellent, I can't imagine having a bad meal here as others have mentioned, glad I hadn't looked at tripadvisor before visiting as I may not have gone. So happy with our meal, great for kids too.

2  Thank Elmidds
thecrowninn, Public Relations Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

The staff at The Crown Inn are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were given a £50 gift voucher to spend at the Crown so decided to head there last Friday night. The place was busy however we got a table outside. We ordered food to the total of £34 and handed over the gift voucher. This was 'snatched' away from us and placed in the till and the server started serving someone else. We were quite taken aback as we wanted to know what would happen to the remaining £16 on the voucher and no explanation was given (would we get change? Could we order desserts later? Or more drinks later?) When we (had to interupt) and ask about this we were simply told 'no'. So I requested that I got the voucher back then and we would pay by card if we didnt order more or we may get desserts and pay with the voucher if it came to £50 or more. We were given the voucher back and also got comments from others at the bar that it seemed ridiculous to think that we would pay £50 for something that was only £34 - I think they were as surprised as we were with the attitude and non explanation. Now I understand that we weren't going to get 'money back' in terms of change - however this was not explained or was the server helpful in telling us our options. We said we would pay later and decide on method depending on if we ordered more. We headed outside with our cutlery and drinks to wait on our food. We waited. And waited. For 45 mins and nothing. I went back inside to find out where our food was only to be told the order had been cancelled! What?! Not happy. We raised it with the manager and he didn't seem to 'get it' either - by repeating that you don't get change on a voucher. Yes we get that - which is why we would pay on a card if we didnt feel like dessert or use the voucher if we did order more drinks/food! Cos why on earth would we give £50 for £34?! Needless to say they gave us our cokes for free as a gesture however we got no food as it was getting late and went home for omlette. We still have the £50 voucher to spend....

3  Thank Poptarticus
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We enjoyed dining at the Crown Inn during our stay in Godalming. The food was delicious and fresh and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend this pub to anyone visiting the area.

The staff at The Crown Inn would like to thank you for visiting and we're pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Some friends and I gathered here for a meal after hearing many good reports...but I ended up being served the worst meal of my life ( I'm 60 years old! ) and for the first time ever I sent a meal back to the kitchen.

A friend and I ordered the steak ciabatta sandwich and were served a measly thin steak so tough it was literally inedible!

We both quietly tried to eat it but failed...it truly was that tough you simply couldn't chew it, neither was it possible to cut it...a steak knife making little or no impression. To add to it there was a funny taste..it was just 'wrong'. I've been both a chef and a butcher in my life and I've never before encountered that taste...it was most unpleasant.

Now I've never sent a meal back to the kitchen before and I'm not quite sure what I would have done had not my friend said " I can't eat this...it's simply awful" and we both plucked up the courage to send it back.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful....and were surely as embarrased as I was. I was offered another cut of steak from the menu and accepted that, but didn't expect to have to wait half an hour for it! By the time it arrived my friends were on their dessert courses and my embarrasment just increased.

What turned up was the smallest, meanest, sirloin steak I have ever seen. It was barely cooked...certainly not 'medium' as I had asked and I doubt it went to three ounces......

I assumed that a frugal chef had picked out the smallest sirloin he could find because he , as I had, thought it was to be for free....but why it took him half an hour to 'not cook' it is beyond me........?

And then to cap it all the bill arrived and I had been charged the full price for the measly little steak.

Appalling food, appalling slow service and appalling cooking .....for that matter appalling cheek too!

I won't be back...I hope you think it was worth treating me so badly.

2  Thank NobbyTheAngler
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was glad that we pre-booked as the restaurant was fully booked for lunch.
The old pub/restaurant is really charming and it has been well looked after. The staff are really lovely and polite. The food is delicious and would definitely go back when we are in the area.