“Excellent Dinner - Thank you !”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Price range: US$14 - US$28
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Crown Inn Chiddingfold, Condé Nast Johansens Most Excellent Inn in Great Britain 2010 and awarded Recommended Status for 2011. An idyllic English pub, The Crown Inn nestles in a quiet corner of the picture-perfect village green of Chiddingfold in Surrey. Totally refurbished, the olde world charm of the property has been lovingly maintained and sympathetically blended with a more sophisticated and contemporary decor. Beautiful stained-glass windows provide a stunning backdrop to our dining rooms, whilst our downstairs bar has an informal ambience. Our AA coveted 5 Stars has been awarded again in 2013 with the added bonus of a yellow star award, to sit alongside our 'Highly Commended status' for 2013. We are proud to be in the top 10% of only 11 Inns in England.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Can't wait for Steak Night again on July 12th. My T-Bone last time was just perfect. I thoroughly recommend The Crown to anyone wanting quality food and a warm welcome.

1  Thank SWT217

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Having had my worst dining experience ever at The Crown last year I thought I'd try them one more time on one of their themed 'Steak Nights'. They had offered me £50 compensation because of last time if I identified myself, but I decided to remain anonymous and get a feel for the place without getting 'special attention'

What a disappointment again!

Under-trained, nervous and inefficient staff serving the smallest steaks I have ever seen....not that the price reflected the size, mind you. The steaks were bought round on a baord for us to see them and I chose the New Your Strip Loin ( a Sirloin to us Brits ) as it looked adecent size, but what I was served was minescule!

OK the meat was dry-aged, but it was too lean and they cut it so thnly it dried out in the cooking and the beast it originated from was just so small. We have the most highly awarded Aberdeen Angus herd in the country in this area( The Rosemead Herd) and instead they buy in poor quality meat and sell it at top prices.

I felt badly enough about my tiny dry 5oz.Sirloin steak at £18 plus another £6 for a tiny plate of fries, some grease-laden greenbeans and one mushroom and one tomato ( yes, seriously! ), but I felt really sorry for the romantic couple who splashed out on expensive champagne and then ordered a whole Chateau Briand....at £50 ...and recieved a small piece of mid-fillet about the size of a cricket ball. The waiter should have worn a mask at such a robbery.

Then a table for 15 arrived and we asked for our bill quickly. No extra staff appeared despite this being a book-only evening and we waited and we waited.......

In the end we went into the pub and paid for our meal there........

That was your last chance Crown Inn....we won't be back. Pop down to Lurgashall and see how it should be done......

OK this place has its fans.....but I can't see why.

3  Thank NobbyTheAngler
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Came here as part of a drive to 3 villages in Surrey. Stopped at The Crown for a meal and turned out to be an excellent choice. The meals were superb. We shared a baked camembert and then had our main meals - chicken breast, cannelloni (delicious) and crayfish/avocado salad. Service was good and ambience beautiful. Hope to return again

1  Thank lezlih
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Charming building with friendly staff. Food was simply excellent, I can't imagine having a bad meal here as others have mentioned, glad I hadn't looked at tripadvisor before visiting as I may not have gone. So happy with our meal, great for kids too.

2  Thank Elmidds
thecrowninn, Public Relations Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

The staff at The Crown Inn are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were given a £50 gift voucher to spend at the Crown so decided to head there last Friday night. The place was busy however we got a table outside. We ordered food to the total of £34 and handed over the gift voucher. This was 'snatched' away from us and placed in the till and the server started serving someone else. We were quite taken aback as we wanted to know what would happen to the remaining £16 on the voucher and no explanation was given (would we get change? Could we order desserts later? Or more drinks later?) When we (had to interupt) and ask about this we were simply told 'no'. So I requested that I got the voucher back then and we would pay by card if we didnt order more or we may get desserts and pay with the voucher if it came to £50 or more. We were given the voucher back and also got comments from others at the bar that it seemed ridiculous to think that we would pay £50 for something that was only £34 - I think they were as surprised as we were with the attitude and non explanation. Now I understand that we weren't going to get 'money back' in terms of change - however this was not explained or was the server helpful in telling us our options. We said we would pay later and decide on method depending on if we ordered more. We headed outside with our cutlery and drinks to wait on our food. We waited. And waited. For 45 mins and nothing. I went back inside to find out where our food was only to be told the order had been cancelled! What?! Not happy. We raised it with the manager and he didn't seem to 'get it' either - by repeating that you don't get change on a voucher. Yes we get that - which is why we would pay on a card if we didnt feel like dessert or use the voucher if we did order more drinks/food! Cos why on earth would we give £50 for £34?! Needless to say they gave us our cokes for free as a gesture however we got no food as it was getting late and went home for omlette. We still have the £50 voucher to spend....

3  Thank Poptarticus