“Classy Inn with classy food”

The Swan Inn Chiddingfold
Ranked #2 of 5 Chiddingfold B&B and Inns
“Classy Inn with classy food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

It's been a while since I last ate here and that was on a dark winter evening. Arriving for lunch in the bright sunshine with an old friend brought home how stunningly well fitted out is this Inn. First impressions count and the quality interior of the Inn made a good one. We had made a reservation for a table out in the back courtyard and were shown to our places by a very friendly and professional waitress. As we walked outside the back of the Inn our impressions were only enhanced by the attractive layout, the summer plants and garden furniture. Sitting with a good mate under parasols in the warmth of early July sunshine and in a decidedly upmarket situation provided an intense feeling of well-being. Being pleasantly surprised by the ambiance of the place, I was bracing myself for an expensive menu. However, when the menu came I relaxed. There was a lunch menu and a la carte to choose from, neither of which was overpriced. We both selected crayfish tail and avocado salad, which was deliciously dressed with an interesting and tasty variety of leaves and perfect for the day. Not being over-faced by the salad we both finished with the double espresso, biscotti and ice cream combo from the dessert menu. All in all, highly recommended for well prepared food, friendly service and a sophisticated dining experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
West Malling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My friends and I travelled from Plaistow, where we were staying for the weekend, to visit the Swan. We had a fabulous evening. We all had very tasty and well presented food, the atmosphere was lovely and the waitresses were attentive without being too much. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Expat in Spain
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I found the room and bathroom to be above average for a "pub". The bedroom was beautifully appointed, in neutral colours and provided everything required though I didn't find the hair dryer, if there was one.
Sky TV and a DVD player were provided, with a library of DVDs available if required.
The bathroom was large and airy with double sinks.
I prefer to have a dark room or I tend to wake early so the amount of early morning light did spoil it a little for me but it was not an issue as such.
I would highly recommend this as a lovely place to stay, in beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed just the 1 night here but will definitely return and recommend to others. Very helpful owners and staff. Food was amazing. Room was very comfortable.
Such an amazing place, a little gem in the countryside.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Wales
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The Swan Inn is a delightful country pub in a quintessentially English village which has been transformed into a lovely place to stay and eat. The public rooms are very well designed and furnished in a clean modern style with good quality fitments and nice touches that aren't "twee" - the whole is welcoming as well as functional. The bedrooms are equally well proportioned and fitted with everything one would want for a comfortable night's stay but, if you do not want to be kept awake or woken in the early hours by lorries etc thundering by a few feet from the windows then request a room at the back or the inn. Dinner choices are good and varied as is the wine list and service is both professional and personable. Pricing is acceptable for the quality of dining. Breakfast during the week is continental style and although quite adequate one is not allowed to linger due to the somewhat over-anxious desire to clear away the crockery (whether one has finished or not) I'm told that full English fare is served at weekends from a slightly later time so perhaps there is a more relaxed approach to one's first meal of the day? Overall, a nice place but positioned right on a very busy road.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the inn unless you don't mind loud traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank konnosir
scotland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Yes the food was good......tasty...nicely served.....but small portions,

I did not like the atmosphere.....this is an old building which has been depersonalized....and assaulted by modern piped music. I don't object to music but I found the insistent presence just plain annoying.

This is not a place to go if you want to bask in discreet unhurried meal eaten in charming atmosphere.......but I have to say the food is good.....

Room Tip: I just ate ,,,not slept....hopefully they don't have the infernal music piped into the bedrooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Swan last Wednesday. Our room was lovely and clean and the bed comfortable. Tea/coffee facilities were provided. We really enjoyed our stay and were made most welcome. Four of us had a delicious meal in the bar/restaurant that evening. We couldn't fault it.
Our son lives in the village so we shall be staying at The Swan again and next time I shall book a superior double room with less stairs to climb for access!

Room Tip: Book a superior room and try and get one at the back of the hotel. Well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiddingfold
Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa

Been to The Swan Inn Chiddingfold? Share your experiences!