“Tranquil setting, excellent food and the art gallery adds real style”

The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Staxton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery & Coffee Shop offers high quality art in beautiful converted farm buildings as well as fantastic food and drink in the comfortable coffee shop and lawns.
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tranquil setting, excellent food and the art gallery adds real style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We enjoyed an excellent quiche lunch, which set us up for the day, and the home-made chocolate cake was scrumptious! This place has real style, too, with a most interesting gallery displaying both pictures and ceramics. Anyone travelling towards the Yorkshire coast should give it a try.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank Robin S

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic gallery in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stumbled across this gallery when we were visiting our cousins in Scarborough. It is nestled on the top of Staxton Hill and it was pretty good views across the wolds. The cappuccino was fantastic and the consensus amongst the family was that the scone and carrot cake were the pick of the delicacies.
The art gallery was beautifully set out and there were some wonderful landscape pictures up. We even found a small sculpture to give to my cousins.

I will be visiting this hidden gem of a cafe/gallery many more times as I visit this idyllic area of the world.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Family1955
Scarborough, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Does a blob of coleslaw constitute a salad?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

My wife and I ate there on a Sunday lunchtime. Very clean, good service, a nice setting and the gallery is fine.
However, the food portions are absolutely tiny. I ordered quiche and salad. "Salad" comprised a blob of unimaginative homemade coleslaw, but definitely not in my book. Where's the lettuce and tomato at least?
The quich was nice enough but tiny and shallow. It had probably been cooked in a pie dish rather than a quich/flan dish because it wasn't very deep.
I didn't expect to leave full, but not still hungry either, and I mentioned this to the waitress. If you go, stick to drinks and scones.
PS - I left a tip for the service.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank RayMilner
willerbywold, Manager at The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
We are a Contemporary Art gallery with a Coffee Shop that sells 'Home-made Cakes' & 'Light Lunches'. These include 'Toasted Paninis with salad trim & Home-made Quiche with salad trim.
We do not describe our food as 'Fantastic ' in any of our publicity.