“Such a pleasant surprise!”

The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Staxton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery & Coffee Shop offers high quality art in beautiful converted farm buildings as well as fantastic food and drink in the comfortable coffee shop and lawns.
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I've often driven past this Gallery withour realising what lay behind the barn-style door! It describes itself as "A Showcase for Northern Contemporary Art" and that is spot on. Really enjoyed the mix of paintings and scultures. Had tea and scones in the garden and came away feeling very relaxed. As the exhibits are changed quite regularly, this is a Gallery which should be experienced by a returning public.

3  Thank MedEngland

Reviewed 14 April 2013

A beautiful gallery with delicious coffee and extremely indulgent food in a gorgeous corner of East Yorkshire. If your in the area please try it, you will not be disappointed.

3  Thank bigm814
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We enjoyed an excellent quiche lunch, which set us up for the day, and the home-made chocolate cake was scrumptious! This place has real style, too, with a most interesting gallery displaying both pictures and ceramics. Anyone travelling towards the Yorkshire coast should give it a try.

2  Thank Robin S
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stumbled across this gallery when we were visiting our cousins in Scarborough. It is nestled on the top of Staxton Hill and it was pretty good views across the wolds. The cappuccino was fantastic and the consensus amongst the family was that the scone and carrot cake were the pick of the delicacies.
The art gallery was beautifully set out and there were some wonderful landscape pictures up. We even found a small sculpture to give to my cousins.

I will be visiting this hidden gem of a cafe/gallery many more times as I visit this idyllic area of the world.

2  Thank Family1955
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My wife and I ate there on a Sunday lunchtime. Very clean, good service, a nice setting and the gallery is fine.
However, the food portions are absolutely tiny. I ordered quiche and salad. "Salad" comprised a blob of unimaginative homemade coleslaw, but definitely not in my book. Where's the lettuce and tomato at least?
The quich was nice enough but tiny and shallow. It had probably been cooked in a pie dish rather than a quich/flan dish because it wasn't very deep.
I didn't expect to leave full, but not still hungry either, and I mentioned this to the waitress. If you go, stick to drinks and scones.
PS - I left a tip for the service.

3  Thank RayMilner
willerbywold, Manager at The Yorkshire Wolds Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

We are a Contemporary Art gallery with a Coffee Shop that sells 'Home-made Cakes' & 'Light Lunches'. These include 'Toasted Paninis with salad trim & Home-made Quiche with salad trim.
We do not describe our food as 'Fantastic ' in any of our publicity.