“Clean, friendly, home from home”
Review of Ivy Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ivy Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Scotter B&B and Inns
Maidenhead
“Clean, friendly, home from home”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed two nights and enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was delicious. The proprietor, Pat, cooked exactly what we wanted. Everything was fresh and tasty, the bacon was the best I've ever had. Pat is very chatty but we enjoyed hearing her stories as we ate breakfast.

The room was fantastically clean with tea and coffee making facilities and biscuits. Lots of little extras were provided like soap and shoe cleaning facilities. There was good wi-fi available at no extra charge.

She recommended The White Swan for an evening meal which was walking distance from Ivy Lodge. We had a great meal there.

There was plenty of parking, always a bonus.

Room Tip: The blue room at the back is large and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SheilaMaidenhead
LincolnshireLucy2014, Owner at Ivy Lodge, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for this lovely review, having read the previous two you have restored my faith in what I do. Hay-ho! you can't win them all. The delay in responding has been due to me taking a break from business originally intending to retire for good. I have however had such a positive demand for B&B I am about to restart up again providing a lower intake than before so I hope we will see you again when you are in the area again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Idyllwild, California
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was the worst place ever. Exhausted from the journey to get to the UK, my husband, myself and our 12 year old daughter were crammed into a small room with very little space to walk, or unpack anything. The room was located directly above an obviously popular street and the noise was horrible. As the weather had just turned cooler the room was quiet cold and drafty from the window which was poorly installed. The beds were uncomfortable, and the only difference from staying at the Ivy Lodge and a park bench was a toilet. The owner was the rudest individual I have ever encountered, and she had the audacity to yell at us because we didn't say good morning when we left at 4:00 am or good evening when we returned at 11:00 pm. I was glad to get away from there and away from that wretched woman. Never Again

Room Tip: Don't, find somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Machelle M
LincolnshireLucy2014, Owner at Ivy Lodge, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Machelle M from California. How could one forget this family whose unsuspecting Father in law arranged their stay with us and was so looking forward to his Son’s and Granddaughter’s visit from the US. They arrived and transferred their belongings to the bedroom, this room is not huge neither is it small, we have had numerous comments about how comfortable our beds are so I am surprised by the comment posted. I am not surprised they could not find ‘space to walk’ as when I tried to service the room the next day I was completely prevented from doing so by their belongings all over the place, on the floor, the beds, and in a huge pile in front of the wardrobe approximately half way up the door and all across the front. The wardrobe and drawers provided were incidentally empty. Quite honestly I have never seen anything like it in 20 years, it looked like it had been ransacked.
The weather had turned cold but sorry I can’t do much about that, Scotter is not California, but the heating was on and I agree the window has had to have an adjustment made which I was not aware of at the time.
I am particularly puzzled by her comments about ‘yelling at her about them not speaking at 4am and 11pm,’ I did not see anyone as I was definitely in bed at those times and they let themselves in and out through the door we give guests a key to, that they can use at any time they wish. I certainly did not yell at anyone.
Unfortunately I am not the only person they upset whilst at Ivy Lodge. A guest who has stayed here on numerous occasions was woken in the early hours of the morning by shrieking and other noises at a very high volume coming from their room which went on for some time. He was quite astonished as they had their young daughter with them and the noise could be heard in most of the house. All I could do was apologise for the disturbance on their behalf. Consequently, she may have been glad to get away from here, we were sure glad to see the back of them I can assure you.
With regards to the location (‘on a popular street’) we are on a main A road and have been here since the 1850’s, there is little noise during the night but traffic does increase at times when people are driving ‘to and fro’ during usual work and school times. Most people can live with it but I can appreciate Machelle and family were used to a different time zone and maybe needed to rest during those busy times, may I suggest these problems are addressed next time they choose or are booked to stay in the UK but it will definitely not be here.
Dorking
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Unfortunately, due to traffic delays, I arrived late for check in (11-00pm) for a 1 night stay, full of apologies for the late arrival.

My reception was to say the least, unwelcoming, unfriendly, arrogant, offensive and insulting!!!

Over the last 45 years, I have travelled the world and stayed in all types of accommodation ranging from first class to lowly 3rd world standard and I have never been received in such a shameful manner.

There is nothing wrong with the accommodation, I can't comment on the food as the proprietor refused to cook my breakfast (0730) when I enquired.

I was very happy to leave at 0730 the following morning. Needless to say, I told her of my feelings.

I was there on business, being employed in the travel industry.

For this reason alone, I cannot reccomend this accommodation.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dorking Lynne : reference the photo!, this person was very much a man but no gentleman. The reservation was made through Booking.com who invite reviews from people who book with them, interesting that it came through TripAdvisor. Our website and Booking.com booking confirmations did state the final checking in time was 10pm and Breakfasts at the weekends were from 8am (7am from Mon – Fri). The booking details gave only a landline telephone number and was guaranteed with an AMEX card, which it states we do not accept in our reservation details. Not very helpful from the start!.His reservation was made for Friday 27th September 2013.
Luckily for Mr P.S.from Dorking, I live on the premises, quite a lot of B&B owners do not and many are not around after 8pm. As I have to be cooking and serving breakfast on a weekday at 7am, rising around 6.15 I am usually in bed by 10.30 – .45pm, on this occasion we thought this person was not coming as it had got near to 11pm and I had locked up and put lights off but was not in bed when he arrived, at 11pm, he had a mobile and therefore was able to telephone to say he had arrived and could I let him in which I did.
I can assure you there were no apologies even when I asked him why he had not telephoned to say he was held up and would be late. I have run this business nearly 20 years and have waited up for people numerous times that have been held up in traffic especially on a Friday evening, but without exception I have always received a call to say they would arrive late as they had been delayed in some way, like an accident on the motorway or similar, and could not be here before 10pm. When I said to Mr Stringer couldn’t he have let me know he was on his way but running late, he said he had phoned when he got here at 11 o clock.
Yes I did refuse to get him a breakfast earlier than the published time for two reasons, one his reservation was for ‘room only’ so no booked breakfast and two, as he could not be bothered with a little courtesy to have phoned earlier I could not be bothered to do an early breakfast. I rest my case!!
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed for 3 nights, had the double room, which was nice, although you can hear the main road in both your bedroom and whilst having breakfast downstairs. Host was very accommodating, driving to messingham to pick up a bunch of flowers and generally being helpful with the local area. Location good, highly recommend eating in 'the swan' in particular which is within walking distance and was excellent restauraunt food. Good local pubs and takeaways in the area. Only issue we had was in our last night, we got back from walking round an agricultural show, which was the reason for our stay, change our footwear into clean trainers in the car and instead if ringing the bell, disturbing the host fairly late in the evening and waiting in the cold for her to let us in, we walked around and use the key provided to go straight in the other door and up to our room. We were then confronted and told to 'come and look at the mess on the stairs' which we were surprise at, mainly because we hadn't realised we were making marks on the carpet, although there was snow on the ground so it may have been mainly water..! Other than this a pleasant stay, full English breakfast not overly tasty, not was there a lot of it, but could be 'topped up' with cereal and yoghurt from buffet table free of charge. Overall an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 16 December 2012

this is one of the friendliest places I have stayed in, and I have travelled the length & breadth of the country staying in many places from top hotels to B&B's. I will also say that this is amongst the cleanest and maybe the cleanest of them all. the attention to detail is super and breakfast not to be missed! my room was comfortable and well equipped the free Wi Fi is a great bonus. I highly recommend this lovely little place to anyone looking for a place to stay.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Sunderland
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is an excellent B & B. Very Clean. Very comfortable. Excellent breakfast. Enough said

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Wakefield UK
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Very clean and quiet B & B -the single room I booked is small but everything needed is to hand and there was a nice view of the tidy back garden.
I had to leave very early but I was given coffee fresh orange and toast as I could not wait for the 7am breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Been to Ivy Lodge? Share your experiences!