“In the middle of Surrey...”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Oak Harbor, Washington
“In the middle of Surrey...”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

if there is such a thing because I am not even sure where I was. I do know that it was only 14 miles from the Peace Arch Border Crossing and that made it convenient coming from the States. It was also right around the corner from the Guildford Town Centre mall, which came in handy for shopping and a change of pace food court. There is also a host of multi-ethnic dining and shopping marts in the immediate vicinity to choose from, along with the standard fast food outlets.

The room was a little larger than I expected with a couch and adequate table space. It would have been nice to have a refrigerator. The accommodations were clean, bright and certainly worth the price. I could have upgraded and gotten the free breakfast and access to the VIP lounge on the 20th floor. If it came with a few other freebies it might been worth it because it seems you pay for everything, one way or another. I never understood why a moderate priced hotel can afford to provide free internet and parking but the higher priced outfits feel a need to charge for it. But that is another subject.

Parking was in a garage under the hotel but be forewarned that the height limit was only 6 1/2 feet and my pickup truck barely cleared it. Or you can do the valet parking for a little more. The lounge and restaurant were combined and a very pleasant place to relax. The food was very good but be prepared to pay for the ambience. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive, especially the gentlemen manning the bell desk. I was there for a conference and the meeting spaces and banquet services certainly met all our needs.

Room Tip: Think seriously about upgrading to get access to the VIP lounge, especially if you are traveling as...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Korean first
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Comfortable bads. Great linens. Gym was new and everything worked ... they even had cold face cloths... that part was great. The location of this hotel is very handy as its close to a lot of descent restaurants and a huge mall.

Downsides? Unfortunately there were a few. The most aggrivating was a $10 charge for wifi in the rooms. You have a hotel attracting business people, and you want to gouge an extra ten bucks a day? Forget about it. $26 for an omlette in the restaurant is also a little excessive. Does Bev Oja stay here?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

Charging for wifi?
This seems like a petty thing to do to guests.
We tried to use the gym at 6 am and absolutely every cardio machine was used.
All hotel guests? Not so sure.
That was the negative.
Decent room, great view of mountains.
Comfy beds

• Stayed March 2013
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
We appreciate your review and want to thank you for choosing our hotel for your most recent stay. Sheraton Fitness has a popular following with our regular guests, and although we don’t have non-guest users, it’s a very popular place in the morning, especially during the week. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are awesome and the mountain views are even better, thanks for noticing. Safe travels and please connect with us should you need assistance on your next visit to Surrey.
Edmonton
Reviewed 19 February 2013

The bed was incredibly comfortable. The room climate control worked perfectly. Coffee maker made decent coffee (Starbucks), a tea kettle was provided. The room was spacious.

The bathroom counter was covered in a layer of white powder, the shower and bath a bit tired, the towels generous and fluffy.

The food served during our conference was fresh, delicious and generous. The breakfast especially was remarkable! However, attempts to manage a large group in their restaurant at lunch time failed in an epic way on two occasions. Both times just getting ready to walk away after a 50 minute wait for lunch, and both times, having lunch served at the last possible moment (still food was fresh and delicious despite the wait). Staff on day one quick to blame kitchen staff. Second day the hotel promised an Express Menu to resolve Day one issues, without much success.

Staff were friendly, thoughtful and helpful.

If traveling on your own with family or for business, would recommend checking to see if there is a large conference and avoid. Elevator line ups at peak times annoying, and slow restaurant service is almost guaranteed.

For a conference, I would recommend this hotel, but advise your group to not eat in the restaurant unless ample time (over one hour) is provided.

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room to catch of a view of the mountains when the mist, fog, rain breaks. If...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Ashley D, Manager at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for choosing to have your conference with us. We appreciate your feedback for our guestrooms, and our delicious culinary options. I have shared your comments regarding the wait time with our Food and Beverage team and we will look into expediting service when we have large conferences, thank you for that suggestion. Safe travels and please connect with us should you need assistance on your next visit to Surrey.
Prince George
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

The hotel is looking a little tired. Elevator to the parking garage was broken during my stay. Hair in sink and a few other signs of a rushed cleaning job. If you have to stay in Surrey it is still a good option but we will have to see how it goes; it may justify a commute to a better neighbourhood and hotel if it does turn around.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The hotel is not in the best location to visiting Vancouver as a tourist but it is only 35 minutes away on the skytrain which is a short walk. The hotel was clean and very good overall. I was staying on the Club floor and not unhappy with my room or amenities. The shower in the room was a bit weak but I was only there for the one night this time. The fitness centre and pool were very good and I had them both to myself. The staff was excellent. I have stayed here several times including for a large conference and have never been disappointed. The food in the lounge/restaurant is OK but I find it a bit pricey for what you get and there are better options within close walking distance. If you have business in the area or even a romantic get away this is a good choice, in fact it is the best choice in the area. Parking is $9 which is cheap for any highrise hotel although all the other hotels in the area do not charge at all; but this is covered parking.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator as the ice machine is also located there.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Francine W, Manager at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thank you for your great feedback, it always important for us to know how your guest experience was while staying with us at the Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel. We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments and concerns with us. We hope that the next time you are in Surrey you will choose to stay with us again.

Warm regards
Francine W.
Director of Rooms
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 January 2013

All in all, this hotel is an average stay. The staff was gracious and welcoming and the fitness room/pool was terrific. I also liked the fact that there was a metro stop that took me straight into downtown Vancouver nearby.

My room was kind of tired, though -- there were stains on the carpet and trim banged off the walls in places. That surprised me. I was also frustrated that there was no refrigerator in the room and ice buckets that held about 27 cubes total in the room.

Finally, I was frustrated by the lack of free Internet ANYWHERE in the hotel -- not in the guest rooms, not in the lobby, not in the Link business center. That was a pain.

I'd stay here again if I was on business and the client were paying. The location and the people are good. But I wouldn't spend my own money on this hotel.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel looks out over the Canadian Rockies. The other looks out over a car dealershi...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Francine W, Manager at Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear wferriter

Thank you for taking the time to post your remarks regarding your recent stay with us. I have forwarded your concerns to our housekeeping and engineering team. Together they will address all the issues you reported. We do apologize for the fact that the room was not up to the standards that you expected and we appreciate you alerting us to these issues.

I do understand your frustration with the lack of a refrigerator, it is true that not all of our rooms have small refrigerators, however we do have a limited amount available upon request. We also have some rooms that do have fridges and microwaves and this type of room can be requested when booking. Whenever you are staying and have any special requests please just call our Guest Services and we will attempt to meet your needs in order to make your stay plesant and comfortable. We do hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future and once again thank you for sharing your compliments and concerns with us.

Best regards