“Not quite up to Sheraton Standards”

Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Reviewed 24 November 2009

As a frequent traveler I depend upon tripadvisor, but till now have never written a review on here.

I traveled on a month long road trip for vacation, and stayed at many Starwood Properties across the Western US and Cananda. We stayed at this hotel for 1 night.

This hotel was among the middle of the road Sheratons I have been in ( I have stayed over 100 night in Starwood Properties.),

It is a subyrban location that charges for parking. I have Platinum status with SPG, but were not placed ont he Club Floor. I was told the Club Lounge was closed for cleaning, so we could go to the bar for evening apps. Once we got there we were told that we would not get a choice and we would get a sampler plate from the chef. It consisited of a meatbal, a chicken nugget, and a carrot stick, we had to wait for this so has to order 2 drinks each while we waited. Would have been much cheaper to just go elseware. Rooms were dated and worn, elevator not working, Think the next life for this place is a Ramada..

Very noisy thru the hotel as there was alarge wedding going on, would I go back.... NEVER!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 September 2009

I have stayed here many times before, found it pricey but decent, the most recent stay in August was a disappointment, will not be coming back. Charged for parking, charged daily for Internet, $4.00 bottles of water in the room, $15.00 dollar breakfast that wasn't that tasty. Save your money there's a Walmart & Timmie's across the street. Extremely loud & drunken wedding party in the halls at 2-4 am. Not impressed with the service at all, wan more than happy to check out

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank choochiegirl
Reviewed 30 August 2009

The hotel staff was very nice. The rooms were very clean & large. The only thing that bothered me was I had stayed a week earlier when I arrived In Canada, and was not charged for parking in the underground parking, but the second night I stayed a week later I was charged $6 for parking. Why should a hotel guest pay to park in the parking area? The hotel was not low priced, so they should give guests a break on the parking. Nothing was noted on the hotel website about parking fees.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I stayed here with my husband on a three week trip to Canada last month. We were heading out of Vancouver and were late finding somewhere to stay. The friendly and helpful receptionist offered us a good 'walk in' rate, and upgraded us to the 17th Floor with the complimentary breakfast. The room was huge, and the staff in the Club Lounge were really welcoming. We enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed there again on the way back. Would recommend to anyone. And, as another reviewer said, it's convenient for a great mall and lots of strip restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Spacious room with a gorgeous view of the mountain - everything was as expected here. Nice modern decor with clean lines and warm wood furniture. Flat screen TV. Spacious bath with tub/shower combo. Convenient parking in basement garage. Helpful staff. Didn't get to try the room service, restaurant or fitness center this time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I booked here through Priceline and obtained a good rate.The rooms were not exceptional, but the staff was friendly, everything was very clean, and the food was delicious. I had a good view of the mountains (be sure to ask for the mountain view when you check in) and checking in/out was very easy. Also, although it's not located in downtown Vancouver (you should know that before you book!) it IS right off the highway and very easy to find. All in all, a decent hotel for the one night I was there; I would come back and for a longer trip!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2009

My friend and I stayed here February 20-22 while visiting some relatives in Greater Vancouver. Now, please be aware this hotel is a bit far from Vancouver itself. My friend and I were aware of this when we booked, but if you are looking for a place close to or near the city, then you may want to consider another place. This property is easy to get to, and near a few shopping and major roadways. You can see it easily from the roadway, but it’s a tight turn into the driveway from the road. The parking is $9.00/CAD per night and underground.

When we checked in, we were warmly received by the front desk staff. They were so enthusiastic to have us there, and gave us good recommendations on places to eat, things to do, and good maps and directions.

We stayed on the 12th floor, on a Preffered Guest floor. The room was clean, large, with comfortable beds covered crisps linens and pillows – and a great mountain view. The bathroom was spotless, and the maid service was good, and the thermostat was adjustable. However, the room we stayed in did not look as bright and fresh as the ones shown online. We had a nice large-screen LCD TV, but it stood on worn and scratched furniture. The room looks like it could stand some modernization, the carpet was outdated and worn, and the layers of old paint on their hollow metal doors were cracked and peeling.

The hotel, for the price of the room, seemed to charge for every little thing. I was annoyed that they charged for Internet ($9.95 CAD/day), bottled water and phone service were ridiculously pricey. There was no refrigerator in the room (although the staff did gladly hold our leftovers in the hotel fridge for us). Hallway noise could easily be heard, and the elevators were very slow.

This wasn’t a terrible hotel and the stay wasn’t bad, and the hotel staff was super. Most of my gripes are with the high prices of things that should be much cheaper or even free. The Quality Inn offers free Internet and cheap local calls (this hotel even charged high tariffs for local and 800 number calls). I can’t comment on the prices of the restaurant, bar, or spa since we didn’t visit any of those. However, I don’t think it’s a great value given what we paid. I don’t plan to stay here again, but I think with some further renovations, and modification of charges for amenities, this hotel may fall more into line of what I have come to expect of a Starwood Property.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends