“Seinfeld: "you just can't KEEP a reservation....."” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandman Suites Surrey-Guildford

Sandman Suites Surrey-Guildford
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Surrey
Saskatoon, Canada
“Seinfeld: "you just can't KEEP a reservation....."”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I arrived at the hotel last night / this morning (2am) and was told that the hotel had been overbooked and so they had thoughtfully arranged for another room in the Sandman in Abbotsford.
"Really? Just for tonight or for all 4 nights I had booked?"
"All 4."
"If I had wanted a hotel in Abbotsford, why would I have reserved a room at a hotel in Surrey?"

They were going to pay for a cab ride to Abbotsford, once, which was less than useless; not having rented a car, how am I supposed to get around in the area I wanted to be, which is why I chose the hotel in the first place......

The front desk clerk expressed puzzlement, since "it shows the reservation was made in June," and I had received the email notification that the reservation was confirmed.

Anyone thinking of staying here had best cover their bases by calling any friends in the area to arrange to stay with the friends first, and then if all goes well the reserved room will actually be available but if it isn't, at least you have a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank 2112Rush2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My family is booked into these suites for another 4 nights and for the most part really enjoy the hotel. They have lots of room and are well laid out. The only disappointing parts are the air conditioning and wifi. Our air conditioning has been running for 36 hours straight and cant keep the main area let alone the bedroom cool. The wifi is for the most part useless. My wife and I both work remotely and have to use the wifi hotspots on our phones to get a reliable connection. As a previous reviewer mentioned - they do not have a pool/gym but if you ask the front desk they will give you a pass so that you can go to one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Quakertown, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here recently and found the hotel staff to be very nice and the price is great. However, there was AC only in the living room area and not in the bedroom. We kept the bedroom door open and cranked the AC to lowest temp in the living room, but it was still warm in the bedroom at night. For some reason, we were given an accessible room (we don't need and did not request it), so there was no desk and it seemed some furniture was missing. The kitchen was unnecessarily huge - most of the cabinets were empty and there was no dishwasher. If we had been staying for more than one night, we would have requested another room. I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'm writing this as a current guest and have two more nights booked here. Overall, I would say this hotel is quite nice! The location is ideal for local business travel, the rates are reasonable, and having a functioning full kitchen is pretty wonderful. I really like my room and the rest of the stated amenities. That said, the *only* reason I'm writing this review is because of the wi-fi. I'm not sure if it's better throughout the lower floors of the hotel, but I'm up on the 11th and am having the darndest time maintaining anything over a weak and shaky connection. When I called the front desk to inquire, the attendant suggested I call their internet provider to speak to them directly. I was shocked by this. I understand she was trying to be helpful, but the last thing I want to do after a day of work is sit on the phone with my hotel's internet provider to troubleshoot their wifi issues. I should also include that I noticed this primarily on my Apple devices (I went through all recommended troubleshooting steps to improve the connection on my iPhone & iPad with little luck)--my PC is getting a mediocre signal that keeps disconnecting sporadically well. In fact, it cut out three times in the time it took me to write this review. Pointedly, it is 2014--internet access in hotels should be a non-issue.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rachel B
Vernon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've stayed several intermittent weeks over the past 5 months and been very satisfied. The elevator is secure with a key card & all rooms are actually one bedroom apartments with full kitchens...ideal for business and longer stays. I have always found the staff friendly and helpful. A little known secret (not advertised): because they don't have a gym, you can request a day pass and walk to the public rec ctr just across the street. They stock Seattle's Best coffee in the rooms. There is coffee and muffins in the lobby in the morning but I never availed myself of those. Beds and bedding are awesome and I used the in suite laundry as well. Close walk to Guildford mall - there is a liquor store and Wal-mart for groceries. Already have my net stay booked!

Room Tip: You have to switch the breaker to use the dryer (can only run the dryer or the range at one time, no...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jo_VV
GMSandmanSurrey, General Manager at Sandman Suites Surrey-Guildford, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. The suites are often very handy for guests travelling on business. Having the kitchen to cook your own food and the washer and dryer to wash your own clothes is a real plus and a great way to save money. I am happy to hear you will be staying with us again. If you require anything please do not hesitate to contact one of our guest services agents as they are always happy to assist you. Sandman Hotels have over 46 properties throughout BC and Canada with many different room types.
We truly appreciate your business and feedback.

Caitlin
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Love this place. My fiance and I come here for a quick staycation. We live in the area so its nie and close. Wont lie, we bring a suitcase full of laundry and throw it in while we go for a nice dinner. We dont have laundry in our house, and its perfect here! Beds are great and love the kitchen and patio. just wish there was some patio chairs! Only complaint is no pool!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelAgent604
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Lovely hotel, spacious suite, attentive front desk staff -- for check in and check out. However, quite unfriendly if just passing through the lobby. No 'good morning' when I went out for my morning walk, no 'hello' when I went through the lobby at end of day.

Would I stay there again? Yes.

Room Tip: Free access to Surrey rec centre -- but only if you ask!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo