“Good hotel, timing matters”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Surrey
Caledonia, Canada
“Good hotel, timing matters”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This is a good hotel which is convenient to TC highway 1. It was a little tricky to get to from airport area for us (but that could have been our GPS fault). The room was great and breakfast was nice. Staff were friendly. The wifi was pretty slow but my only real complaint was that the pool doesn't open until 9 which is a tough wait for kids who are up early. Also, when it was pool opening time they were working on the hot tub (this should be done when it is closed at night!). Overall a good stay with only minor disappointments!

Stayed July 2014
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the room and our friendly staff, however I am sad to read that we did not meet or exceed your expectations in a few areas. The pool hours are set so that proper, regular maintenance and chemical levels may be verified and completed prior to opening to ensure a safe environment for our guests, I am sorry if the 9am opening did not best suit your needs. I thank you for bringing it to my attention and we will discuss if there is a way to open the pool earlier during the busy summer months for our eager young guests. The hot tub did require extra maintenance that morning and I again apologize for the inconvenience. I am most curious about the slow WIFI issue as we have not had any complaints to my knowledge in that regard since late March when a considerable upgrade was installed at the hotel. There are a few WIFI options that pop up while at the hotel and I wonder if the connection was made through the optimum choice. If you stay with us again please notify the front desk of your issues and they will be happy to help you obtain the fast WIFI we have to offer all our guests.
I would love to hear from you if you wish to discuss this further. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we wish you a fantastic summer!

gm@hiesurrey.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Surrey
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel was great! the staff are very friendly and nice. The location and hotel itself is clean and well maintained. The rooms were cozy and clean. The food and especially the breakfast sausages were my favorite. The food was made right to my standards. I don't have any complaints. If you're looking for a great place with good service I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Give it a stay and you won't stay I'm wrong. :) -Sabrina

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sabrina1839
Osoyoos, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a really great stay, the lady on the front desk was excellent, she was friendly and welcoming. From there we checked in and had such a restful sleep, the rooms were so comfortable. Our stay was short but just perfect thank you so much for the great hospitality, and the morning breakfast was just right as well.
I will be returning when I have to be that way again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nmitchener
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellent hotel for the price. Staff are very courteous and efficient. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Beds are excellent. The Internet is fast and free. The business center is well equipped. The hotel has a small gym and a swimming pool.
Free breakfast is included and caters to a wide variety of tastes.

Room Tip: This is the second time I have stayed here and all the rooms appear to be good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MebsT
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you so much for your great review! What a great way to start a Monday morning, you made my week. This Wednesday we are celebrating all the hard work our staff does throughout the year and your review will be mentioned, they deserve it!
We hope to see you again soon!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Be Careful when you book in advance. They have a Terrible policy and will charge your credit card months in advance before your stay. You can try to get a refund, it just wont happen. I called and they weren't pleasant to deal with. Unfortunately, I have to stay there for 3-nights in July 31-August 2 because of the cancellation policy. I liked Holiday Inns as a general rule, but after this visit, I'll definitely remove them from my list of places to stay. KEEP THT IN MIND AND DON'T GET RIPPED OFF.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Pearlieman
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Please forgive the long-winded response and understand that this is not directed at this particular reviewer, this is an issue that comes up a lot and I am seizing the opportunity to hop upon the soapbox.

While I do recognize there is frustration felt when realizing that the restrictions on the discounted "Book Early and Save" rate are too rigid for changing plans, the consumer can alleviate all anxiety by reading the particulars associated with any discounted rates while booking and carefully selecting which rate and policy that best suits their travel plans, much like deciding whether or not to purchase cancellation insurance when booking an airline ticket.

This is how the rate in question appears online:
Book Early & Save - Advance Purchase
Non-Refundable
Deposit required
Breakfast included
Must purchase 7 days in advance

If one clicks on "view rate details" it further states:
DESCRIPTION:
Looking to stretch your travel dollars? Lock in special savings just by booking early and purchasing your stay in advance. Reservation requires full prepayment for the entire stay at the time of booking, and is non-refundable. Payment is charged to your credit card between the time of booking and day of arrival.

The "Book Early and Save" rate is the only rate offered by IHG with this kind of restriction for Holiday Inn Express hotels and there are always other slightly higher rates to choose from that allow full flexibility with cancellation, up to 6pm day of arrival at our property.

I sincerely thank you for posting your review as this is information that can spare future frustration for many guests. Those who do not understand the importance of reading and understanding what they are selecting while booking, or those who hold a belief that the "squeaky wheel" will dissolve all policies, become frustrated and feel slighted when things don't go as planned. I safely speak for all managers when I say we do not enjoy disappointing our guests. We are asked to maintain the integrity of this rate with all its restrictions, and we do so in order to keep the deal on the shelf for everyone. If it were cancelable and refundable its purpose would no longer be valid and it would be removed. This is actually a fairly new approach that many brands are implementing.

I make you my solemn promise that I will do everything in my power to ensure you are be pleased that you "had to stay" at our property. We do have an awesome hotel with fantastic staff and my favorite part of my job is delivering our guests a great experience, rather than defending IHG's rate policies, and I vow to do it to the best of my ability.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further.
We look forward to hosting your stay!
gm@hiesurrey.com
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was great!!! The staff was awesome!!! Great Service. Great Room!!! Very easy to get to the main highway.Breakfast was greati appreciate they say thank you for being gold member and gave me some treats or choice to change them for points

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just back from a weekend in Surrey and had a fabulous stay at this property. Chose this property as I had previously stayed at the Sheraton down the road and found the rooms dated, in need of repair and not very clean. I am so glad that I chose the Holiday Inn Express as I will absolutely come back here the next time I need to stay in Surrey. Our check in experience was fantastic, Jason at the front desk is a true gem and clearly "gets" hospitality. He was warm, welcoming, engaging, helpful and clearly having fun at his job. If someone from Holiday Inn is reading this...you need to give this man an award and have him train all your front end staff. The room was clean, spacious and well appointed. I wasn't expecting much of the complimentary breakfast in the morning, but was really impressed at all the hot and cold breakfast offerings. The breakfast room was comfortable and relaxed with lots of natural light. Trace at the front desk was also fantastic, very friendly and helpful when my friend needed some help with printing, scanning and faxing some business contracts. The only thing I could suggest is better WIFI - totally agree with other comments that the WIFI was not good, very slow and didn't work most of the time.

Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anita V
Cheryl_N_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Surrey, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
I struggle a little to find better ways to say "thank you", those words fall short of expressing how much we appreciate great reviews such as yours. Trace and Jason are true rock stars when it comes to sincerely caring for our guests and doing what they can to ensure their stay is successful, as do all our staff, thank you for the shout out to them and your review has definitely been shared along with a well deserved congratulations.
I paused to respond (hence the delay) because I wanted to wait until I could announce that the WIFI issues have been resolved. Faster, better coverage, and more stability, and we all could not be happier as we knew that was one area we fell short of meeting our guests' expectations. Internet delivery in hotels is a challenge at the best of times, but we are confident we are ahead of the curve in what we can now provide our guests.
Thank you again for your awesome words, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Cheryl N GM