“Good Wave Pool in Sketchy Neighbourhood” 3 of 5 bubbles

Newton Recreation Centre
vancouver
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Good Wave Pool in Sketchy Neighbourhood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Surprisingly big waves in a medium size pool. 2 very long & fast waterslides. Water and facilities are clean. Lots of theft in the lockerroom and surroundings. High crime area surrounds the pool. Cheap admission.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank coalharborvan

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice pool. Poor customer service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Went there on a Sunday with my son, our first time.
I checked the site, it said open 8am-8pm.
It mentioned that they had waterslides, pool, and kids pool.
We get there to go on the waterslides, they had a height restriction. Which makes sense (48"), no problem, but then they said that he had to be 7 years old as well. I mentioned he will 7 be in 2 weeks, they said "sorry, not until he is 7". So they wouldn't let him on the waterslides, even though he is taller than 48".
So went to the wave pool, in there for about 15 mins, and they turned it off. When I asked why , they said that it's time to go soon, it was 740 pm. So all the waves and the kids pool and slides are shut off 20 mins before!
I mean if they shut it off 5 mins before 8, would be reasonable.
when I mentioned that if you are advertised to 8, then be opened till 8, I guess getting home 15 mins earlier is more important.
Just go much earlier than it has posted for hours and double check for all activities for that specific day. If case you could be excluded.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Kerry M
New Westminster, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Call before you go....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

So I went here last night for the first time with my boyfriend. We thought we would check it out so I can take my kids at some point (part time parent...).

We checked online before we went to see what time the pool closed. The schedule said 10:30 was closing time. We thought we had tons of time to relax in the steam room, hot tub, and wave pool. The pool was about a half an hour drive each way from my place, so we expected to stay a couple of hours. After an hour and a half, we were told that all men had to leave the pool (no, I am not kidding, unfortunately). This was quite shocking and very unexpected, and actually a little offensive to us both. When we asked if there was a mens only swim, we were told no. Hmm. I was quite bummed out because although I was in fact a female, my time was cut short because of the fact that I was with a guy (and isn't that discrimination??. Funny thing is there was a sign by the hot tub with a list of Rules. One of the rules was No Discrimination....lol). I wasn't going to make my boyfriend go sit in the car and wait, so it ruined both of our swim). When we paid to go in the pool, this was not mentioned, there were no signs up anywhere that were noticable, didn't see it on the website. Left a bad impression.

This is a fairly new looking complex. However, when going into the changerooms, it smelled very bad, I literally thought I was going to barf. It was very dirty, and there was random garbage everywhere. The pool itself wasn't busy, so in my mind there really is no excuse. The Steam Room also had garbage in it as well. When coming out of the pool (back in the family changeroom), inside the changing stall, there was blood on the wall. That did it for me. I was out of there as fast as possible.

Now you are probably wondering why I did not grade this Terrible at this point. I gave it a poor rating because the pool itself is quite nice and new looking, the water was clean in the wave pool, the pool deck seemed clean, hot tub was nice and big (but the floor of it had a lot of sand). The Steam Room was really big, there were 2 waterslides, a cool play area for kids with water cannons, the gym looked quite nice, they had an Aquafit class going on....the place has a lot of potential. I am not sure if I just went on an off night or what, but it was a really bad first impression.

Website: http://www.surrey.ca/culture-recreation/7325.aspx?viewTab=3&tabStartDate=Feb-05-2013&pageID=11976

Address

Monday and Wednesday: 6am to 10:30pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 6am to 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 6am to 9pm
Sunday: 8am to 8pm

Here is a link to the admission rates: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/UserReviewEdit-g183462-d3199415-a_placetype.10021-a_ReviewName.-e-wpage1-Newton_Recreation_Centre-Surrey_British_Columbia.html

They have cheap rates also at certain times called Value Drop ins. Cost is $2.50.
Drop in Value times are as follows:
Monday and Tuesday: 6am to 8:30am