“Bolivian Restaurant Pachamami's Worth a Visit”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pachamami Sabor Latino Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Located next to the Best Western King George this was a fun place that twice provided an entertaining evening for a guy stuck in Surrey on a weekend for work. A family affair, it was nice to hear about another place and the food was very good.

2  Thank Glenn P

Reviewed 9 October 2012

My father and brother live in Surrey, so had bought the Groupon and asked my spouse and I to join them. Neither my brother or my Dad are "ethnic" eaters, but both my spouse and I are, so we weren't sure how it would go. Well, it was lovely. The restaurant is owned/operated by a husband/wife team - along with their kids when their kids can help out - with the husband doing the front work and the wife doing the cooking. Can she ever cook!

The location of the restaurant isn't the best - but once you get in, they have done a great job making you feel like you are in a completely different place. They had bird sounds piped in and south american decor.

The Groupon came with a huge amount of food - we started with a shared plate of mixed appetizers and fries dish that the menu had described as fries with tomatoes, sauce and "hot dogs" - we were a little weirded out by the hot dog idea, but the owner explained that it was really a kind of sausage - they just call it "hot dogs" in Bolivia - and that it was a very traditional Bolivian dish. (We suggested he might want to change the hot dog references, as it is the first thing on the menu and starts you off with an "oh no!" feeling.) The fries were huge - more than enough for four of us to have shared as an appetizer, and delicious - we ate the whole platter full, "hot dogs" and all. The empanadas were in a delicious pastry and very flavourful and we also enjoyed the yucca fries and the dolmades-type rolls.

For mains and sides, we each ordered something different. Because the Groupon came with a main and a side for each person, we thought that the mains wouldn't come with a side, but nope, they did and so there was vats of food in the end. We tried the chicken in a spicy sauce, chicken skewers, sliced beef and a ground beef dish, all of which were really flavourful and interesting. Each entree also came with small servings on the plate of rice, yucca fries, fried plantains and salad. We really didn't need the extra sides, but it was nice to try them as well. There was a corn cake that was wonderful, refried beans and more yucca fries and fried plantains. For dessert, three of us had large portions of the home made tres-leches cake (we almost licked the plates clean) and the fourth had some home made ice cream.

Oh, and we also had traditional Bolivian drinks - horchata and something else that I can't remember the name of.

All in all, it was a great "Bolivian experience" and we will go back.

1  Thank Resipsa99
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My better half surprised me recently with a date night out for dinner to a Bolivian inspired restaurant called Pachamami Sabor Latino (newly opened in May, 2012), and we were both very impressed with the food! We arrived around 5pm, easily found parking and made our way in to the restaurant, where we were warmly greeted by 1 of the owners, Les, who told us to sit where we'd like. Les brought us our menus and took our drink order. As soon as I opened the menu I saw that they make fresh Ceviche $12.75, so our appetizer choice was quickly made. We chose our dinners, my wife ordered the Picante de Gallina $8.75, a spicy full dark quarter chicken, served on quinoa, a very tasty grain grown high in the Andes Mountains, way better than rice, with some delicious fried yucca and plantains, as well as a fabulous pickled tomato/onion mixture! I ordered the Saice, a deal at only $8, a ground beef based dish, with quinoa, yucca, plantains, and a pickled tomato/onion salsa on the side. We also ordered a side dish, a really tasty corn bread called Huminta $3.50, as well as a side salad. As Ceviche has to be made to order, it took a bit of time, but oh my, it was well worth the wait! Our salad and Huminta followed, with our entrees not far behind. ALL of the food was great, wait until you try. We left room for dessert and coffee. Les told us they had fresh tres leches cake $3.50, so we ordered 2 pieces, as well as a Bolivian coffee $2.50, and a glass of Horchata $2, an unbelievably tasty & sweet cold drink made of rice flour and cinammon. Lucky me, my wife couldn't finish her dessert (sad face for her) so I took a deep breath and dove in (happy face for me)! So, do yourself (& your tummy) a huge favour, and try this family run small business, you won't be disappointed.

4  Thank a k