“A honeymoon to remember”
Review of Mill River Resort

Mill River Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in O'Leary
Ottawa, Canada
“A honeymoon to remember”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I had had a failed honeymoon attempt in Nova Scotia in 2002, and decided to book the Rodd Mill River. We pulled in the afternoon of our reservation and saw a limo and a bride with bridesmaids standing around outside. I went in after driving all day to get there and tried to check in. The clerk apologized, and said that because of the wedding, they were overbooked and they had no room for us. I advised the clerk that this was our honeymoon, and that it was completely unnacceptable. The Manager on duty made it very clear to us that they had a wonderful alternative location for us to stay in the northern tip of the island, and said he would take care of the booking. I didn't know what to do I was so upset, but, we were on P.E.I. and would need to sleep somewhere. So off we went.

The place he sent us to was an old church or nunnery or something converted into an Inn of sorts. It took us a while to get there. It also was evening there when we arrived. My wife and I were starving, as we skipped all the meals that day in anticipation of an incredible meal the Rodd Mill River. We checked in, and I asked the clerk, what is the best restaurant in town? She told me that there weren't any. I asked her, what time does your dining room stay open until? She replied that they had no dining room. I asked her very curtly, where then, can we obtain food? There is nothing open here at this time of day she said, and politely showed us the nook where they serve continental breakfast in the morning. I took one of those little childrens boxes of cornflakes and went to bed. ANGRY.

We returned to the resort the next day, and were advised that we could stay that night, and that was it, but they would cover the room cost for us. I should have just gone home, the mood was ruined, the trip was ruined, and we had spent the whole weekend driving around checking in and out. I got a free nights stay for all that misery. It wasn't even worth the fuel it took me or the ferry fees from Cape Breton Island. Brutal......

3 Thank jon_beks
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your review ,at your convenience I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your stay and experience with us .I can be reached at larsenault@roddhotelsandresorts.com and look forward to the opportunity to talk with you personally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Beaufort, SC
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the staff and their friendliness. However, while the public areas have ben maintained well, the rooms were decorated in the '80s and are still stuck there. They are bordering on shabby. And in our room the housekeeping staff seemd to forget how to use the vacuum or sponge. We arrive to find someone else's corn chip crumbs on the floor and on two tables in the room. When we turned down one of the beds we found someone else's hairs on the the sheets--yuck! If it weren't for the magnificent gold course I would have rated this place even lower.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and I will pass on to the team .I will review your comments with our housekeeping team and I can assure you this is not common practice with our housekeeping standards .We are always working toward upgrading and improving the facility and I do hope we will have the opportunity to have you as a guest again while enjoying the wonderful golf course .
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My girlfriend and I booked for two nights,but only stayed for one.The first night the weather was bad,so we went to the pool and it was full of people.We then went to check out the game room,it had two pool tables and a ping pong table,they were all broken.The next morning I went to the front desk and asked about kayaking and horseback riding.She told us that they don't offer kayaking anymore and that the closest place to go horseback riding was Charlottetown.The restaurant was being used for a wedding,so we had to eat breakfast across the hall in a loud room.
So if you are a couple that doesn't golf...go someplace else.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your comments .I am sorry to hear your visit to Rodd Mill River was not as expected and we did not meet your expectations .If possible I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your stay personally with you .At your convenience if you would like to contact me at larsenault@roddhotelsandresorts.com so we can arrange a time to call or discuss through email your stay I would appreciate your feedback .Thank you once again for your comments and we will utilize your review to improve our guests stay here at Rodd Mill River Resort.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We arrived at Rodd Mill River and were immediately impressed with the staff, they were very friendly and introduced themselves and chatted with the kids. We stayed in room 324 which is at the top of the stairs in the centre of the resort. It was a 3rd floor suite with a full livingroom and a separate bedroom with two double beds, there was lots of room to spread out. There was also a common room across the hall with a large screen television and the staff had hooked up a Wii for the kids to use if they got bored.
The indoor heated pool was excellent! There is a portion with zero-entry which was great for our 5 year old and a deeper portion with the 90' waterslide which our 8 year old loved! We played for almost two hours in the water and only saw one other family.
We ate supper at the Hernewood Dining Room and the food was amazing. We ate out on the deck overlooking the golf course and it kept the kids entertained during the meal. We have been to many 5 star restaurants in Calgary and the food was just as good if not better. Our kids can be picky when it comes to meals, but one had noodles and the other had grilled cheese and fries. I had lobster stuffed chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled veggies, my husband had a 6oz. sirloin steak with the same sides. It just melted in your mouth. The boys didn't want any of the desserts from the kids menu so the waitress asked if she could take them to the gift-shop so they could pick a frosty treat from the cooler. The cost was very fair considering the quality of the meal.
We were nervous that it would be a long night because we noticed a wedding taking place just outside the resort...just outside our window. We were pleasantly surprised to not hear a thing all night and we slept great. The sunset coming up over the golf course the next morning was a bright orange and the fog made everything seem so peaceful but it could have been because the kids were still asleep.
We ate breakfast in the dining room and the food was great again and the staff was still being very attentive. Shortly after we checked out and continued on our trip.
The kids are still telling us that we should have stayed at Rodd Mill River for the whole trip and are asking when we can go back.

A few extra points.
The resort is older and there is the odd stain here and there but it is only a 3.5 star. We typically stay in 5 star hotels and they didn't even come close on the service. It really made our trip. We didn't have good experiences on PEI away from the Mill River area and found most of the people very rude. We will be returning to Rodd Mill River but we will not be venturing to far East from there.
Mill River Fun Park is literally minutes away from this resort and it is geared for kids aged 5 to 12. There is a playground in the shaded woods, bumper boats, a large twisty waterslide for older kids and a steep luge that our 8 year old loved. The main attraction was the waterpark area with smaller waterslides. We had trouble getting the kids to leave. The cost was only $9 per person over 5 years old and was a great deal!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trudi W
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your stay with us here a Rodd Mill River .The staff in all departments do take a great deal of pride in providing professional and friendly service and very much enjoy hearing such wonderful feedback .I will be certain to pass on your comments .We look forward to having you and your family return to our resort in Western PEI .
Hubley, Ns
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed here for a night in July. Was busy because of a couple of weddings, so the service was a bit slow.

The rooms were OK, but were very basic. Nothing flashy.

Not much in the area, except for the resort. Thankfully, the food at the restaurant at dinner was outstanding. The breakfast buffet was somewhat overpriced and fairly standard, however.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the golf course if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit at Rodd Mill River .We are continually working on improving and upgrading our facilities here at the resort and will be working toward that in the future .We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your dinner with us and I will pass that on to our Exec. Chef and staff .I will also look into your breakfast comments and look at opportunities for improving our offerings .We appreciate you sharing your experience with us ,as all management and staff use our guests comments to improve our services and make visits to Rodd Mill River comfortable and enjoyable when staying with us .
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent 2 days at this resort and really enjoyed every minute we were there. We found it very relaxing there. The staff were excellent. They treated us very well. We enjoyed our meals in the Dining Room. Our food was fantastic and we enjoyed the view of the golf course. We had alot of fun at the pool and the waterslide was great. Our room was neat and clean and we slept well as there was no noise at all. We will be going back again next summer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for choosing Rodd Mill River as your vacation getaway .We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us .I will be certain to pass on your comments to all our staff. Thank you for taking the time to write the review about your stay and we look forward to having you and your family stay with us again in the future .
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Relaxing get away, attention to personal needs was excellent. This is a hidden gem at Prince Edward Island. Everyone at the resort and golf course provided superior service and attention to specific needs. We are definitely going back next year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Rodd Mill River Resort . I will be sure to pass on your comments to all staff ,they will be pleased to hear you were happy with your experience . Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay and we look forward to having you return on your next vacation.

Been to Mill River Resort? Share your experiences!