“Wonderful Staff”
Review of Mill River Resort

Mill River Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in O'Leary
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My four night stay in July was absolutely perfect. I checked in on Thursday for my sons wedding.The staff did everything possible to make our stay enjoyable. The wedding reception on Saturday featured great food and service. Thanks to all the great staff that made the Newman Ellsworth wedding Special.

Room Tip: Suites are very nice.View of the golf course worth getting.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay and experiences at Rodd Mill River .The staff are very pleased when they can make such special events such as weddings a great experience for family and friends .Thank you for your kind review and so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

There are newer reviews for Mill River Resort

Reviewed 18 August 2013

These people are the main three that we had contact with. My boyfriend and I were on a bike and it started raining. We went here, as it was the closest and upon arriving were told there were no rooms... a wedding was taking place. Well, after a bit Kevin at the front desk did find us a room, for which we were very grateful. But they also in the interim called to other places in the area to see if they could find us one. I thought that was above and beyond... Also Kevin helped my BF find a suitable spot for his bike (his bike is his baby). And Kevin also kept his eye on the bike to see no harm came to it for which my BF was very appreciative. I had no gear with me and I really needed contact solution... Kristin, who was our server in the restaurant actually opened up the gift shop to see if any was available.. no... but Krystal at the front desk did have some... her own! that she offered to me... I was very grateful. The room was very clean, no issues. The dinner was awesome and breakfast the next morning the same. I read CrystalRs review and I must say we did not use the coffee maker, pool or many of the amenities offered, so cannot comment on that. My review is of the staff - their professionalism and their personal commitment to caring for the needs of their clientele at Mill River is that they are awesome!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you so much for your review .I will be sure to pass on to all staff and especially the three employees mentioned .All staff at Rodd Mill River take great pride in providing professional and friendly service and it is a pleasure to hear we made your stay an enjoyable visit .Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review and look forward to having you visit us again .

Reviewed 17 August 2013

From the moment we pulled onto the property we knew it was not going to be a pleasant stay. the tennis courts looked as though they haven't been used or kept in good repair for a long time. The outside of the hotel showed its age. Upon entering the lobby area it was dark and dreary (not a good sign of whats to come). We checked in, got to our room and we were transported to the early 80's. defiantly not what the pictures on their site show. the bathroom mirror was completely covered in spots defiantly not cleaned. I took one look at the shower and tub and decided that i wasn't going to use that either, it didn't look clean. Coffee maker wasn't clean either. Old window air conditioners. It was a damp in the evening and i had decided to turn heat on but sat in my jacket for an hour until I inquired at the desk about it and they turned the heat on. (they turn the breakers off in the summer). The pool area was just okay. The game room had one stained pool table with no chalk. table tennis with ripped paddles. There were dehumidifiers in the hallway. Overall not a pleasant experience and Honestly I did not feel comfortable and could not wait to leave the resort. We were there for only one night and we just made the best out of a bad situation. The website for this property is seriously outdated. No part of the resort that i saw looked anything like their photo gallery.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank CrystalRs

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to Rodd Mill River .I am very sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations and would like to have the opportunity to discuss your stay .At your convenience I can be contacted at larsenault@roddhotelsandresorts.com.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

From the time we arrived with a welcoming smile from Duska at the front desk to the warm words "travel safely home" when we left. Great place for kids, very family oriented. It is all the little things that made a big difference,like a pleasant phone call not 15 minutes after we arrived to say welcome and asked how the room was and if we need anything... room was very clean! We stayed there because O'leary was hosting Softball nationals, Mill River Resort staff did an excellent job hosting the banquet. Wonderful place for families to stay for team events.Lots for the kids to do, pool, tennis, golf, volleyball and lots of green space for young children to play.Thank you Mill River Resort for making accommodations for U16 Nationals such a success! The girls made friends there from all across Canada to BC. Excellent friendly staff!

Room Tip: May want to consider suite if need more space for family!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review .I will be sure to pass on to all team members here at Rodd Mill River .The staff take great pride in extending hospitality to such events as the U16 Softball Nationals that introduce us to so many great people from across the country .
Thank you again for your comments and look forward to having you stay with us in the future .

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here while over in PEI for a friend's wedding celebration. The room was clean and the grounds were stunning (one star for each of those items). But it is in the middle of nowhere and the "resort" itself is EXTREMELY dated and in dire need of renovations. (Old television, air conditioner sitting in the window, everything about the bathroom was old). Shame on the Rodd chain for charging so much for a very dated location. They need to invest some of that money in renovations. We won't be back.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LouiseArsenault, General Manager at Mill River Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay .We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the grounds and cleanliness of your room .I will be sure to pass on your comments to all staff involved .We are continually working toward updates to improve our guests experience and hope that if another wedding or event brings you to this area you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife and I had had a failed honeymoon attempt in Nova Scotia in 2002, and decided to book the Rodd Mill River. We pulled in the afternoon of our reservation and saw a limo and a bride with bridesmaids standing around outside. I went in after driving all day to get there and tried to check in. The clerk apologized, and said that because of the wedding, they were overbooked and they had no room for us. I advised the clerk that this was our honeymoon, and that it was completely unnacceptable. The Manager on duty made it very clear to us that they had a wonderful alternative location for us to stay in the northern tip of the island, and said he would take care of the booking. I didn't know what to do I was so upset, but, we were on P.E.I. and would need to sleep somewhere. So off we went.

The place he sent us to was an old church or nunnery or something converted into an Inn of sorts. It took us a while to get there. It also was evening there when we arrived. My wife and I were starving, as we skipped all the meals that day in anticipation of an incredible meal the Rodd Mill River. We checked in, and I asked the clerk, what is the best restaurant in town? She told me that there weren't any. I asked her, what time does your dining room stay open until? She replied that they had no dining room. I asked her very curtly, where then, can we obtain food? There is nothing open here at this time of day she said, and politely showed us the nook where they serve continental breakfast in the morning. I took one of those little childrens boxes of cornflakes and went to bed. ANGRY.

We returned to the resort the next day, and were advised that we could stay that night, and that was it, but they would cover the room cost for us. I should have just gone home, the mood was ruined, the trip was ruined, and we had spent the whole weekend driving around checking in and out. I got a free nights stay for all that misery. It wasn't even worth the fuel it took me or the ferry fees from Cape Breton Island. Brutal......

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jon_beks

Thank you for your review ,at your convenience I would like to have the opportunity to discuss your stay and experience with us .I can be reached at larsenault@roddhotelsandresorts.com and look forward to the opportunity to talk with you personally.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the staff and their friendliness. However, while the public areas have ben maintained well, the rooms were decorated in the '80s and are still stuck there. They are bordering on shabby. And in our room the housekeeping staff seemd to forget how to use the vacuum or sponge. We arrive to find someone else's corn chip crumbs on the floor and on two tables in the room. When we turned down one of the beds we found someone else's hairs on the the sheets--yuck! If it weren't for the magnificent gold course I would have rated this place even lower.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and I will pass on to the team .I will review your comments with our housekeeping team and I can assure you this is not common practice with our housekeeping standards .We are always working toward upgrading and improving the facility and I do hope we will have the opportunity to have you as a guest again while enjoying the wonderful golf course .

Also consider these accommodations in or near O'Leary
Rollo Bay Inn
#6 of 8 in Cavendish
Briarwood Inn
Briarwood Inn
#3 of 4 in Alberton

Been to Mill River Resort? Share your experiences!