“Bad Service Experience”

Ranked #58 of 158 Restaurants in West Vancouver
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

When we arrived, we were lead to a normal table inside, we asked if there were any spots by the window free but there weren't which was a bit of a shame as we'd reserved. It was a public holiday and even though the pub was only about half full, it was clear they were understaffed. I can understand this as sometimes the unexpected happens. Unfortunately the server we had was absolutely awful and didn't deal well with the pressure. She was loud, patronising and rude to customers.

There was a fly in my drink but this got replaced quickly so that was fine. We waited half an hour to be asked what mains we'd like and at this point were told off for keeping our menus open as that's why our orders hadn't been taken. I would have preffered to walk out then but my aunt who we were with is elderly so it was a bit hard to move elsewhere. The food arrived in a reasonable time and was really nice for pub fare, everything went smoothly from there aside from being able to hear the server being rude to other customers! We know it was very unpleasant for others because we talked with customers nearby us.

This was the worst service I have encountered throughout the USA and Canada over the past three months of my travels. If the server had just mentioned they were a bit short staffed and she was trying her best, the experience would have been far more pleasant. I would never go back here and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Overall, the food was nice so if you do end up here, hopefully you get served by someone else (or you can ask)!

1  Thank NicH134

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Last week we took our adult granddaughter to a local pub - her choice - for a birthday lunch. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the menu included some items that were not deep fried. 2 of us had the special which was halibut fish and chips and the 3rd person had sauteed calamari. All 3 dishes were cooked just right. The outdoor setting was comfortable, service excellent, and the food good for pub food.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Whenever I visit my family in Vancouver I make a point of having at least one meal at this restaurant. I've done this many times and I've never been disappointed. This time I was. Maybe the cook and the bartender were having an off-day. I've always liked their fish 'n' chips but this time the portions were small and the batter coating was greasy. I ordered a Guinness to go with my meal and it arrived at the table way too soon for it to have been poured properly. On the other hand the hostess and server were courteous and friendly. Will I give The Red Lion another chance? Of course I will. One bad meal won't keep me away

1  Thank Dolores M
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I eat there twice a week and have been for almost a decade. Why do you think I keep going back - it's not rocket science!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We live in the states, but whenever we come to town, it's always a fun place to spend time with family. Comfort food to an extreme. Excellent, courteous service, and just a warm, comfortable atmosphere. Without hesitation, I always try the chef special. One night they offered chocolate salami for dessert. This was a little worrisome as we had no idea what to expect, but it was beyond belief... and more were ordered. I believe my last dish there was the duck. Exquisite. My parents are fans of the clam chowder, though admittedly I am not. Personal preference. This is a north shore gem.

2  Thank Trudy F