“Top quality, creative Japanese food”

Zen Japanese Restaurant
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 22nd Street
Description: The term “edible art” is an appropriate way of describing Zen’s menu. Inspired by traditional Japanese cuisine, the inventive menu is heavily influenced by the abundance of wonderful West Coast seafood and produce. The premium is on quality, with the best offerings from Japan being served daily. Sushi and Sashimi creations are staples, but Zen has something special for any and all diners including a selection of highly innovative tempura, teppanyaki, and delicious robata (Japanese barbecue) highlighted by chicken yakitori, garlic short ribs, and simply grilled fresh fish. Adventurous diners can choose “omakase” and have our master chef put together the day’s finest selections. Zen’s knowledgeable staff will assist you in choosing the perfect beverage to accompany your meal from an unparalleled inventory of premium sake and specialized beer and wine lists. Zen is also a perfect venue for social and business gatherings
Reviewed 30 October 2013

A cure for the epidemic of ho-hum sushi joints. I live in this community and it is my wife's and my
new favorite restaurant in West Van. They are very welcoming and helpful with suggestions from their quite unusual and scrumptious menu items. If you are visiting this location, it is a must try!
Just finished our second visit this month and can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Extremely innovative sushi chefs, the food is intoxicating. A must if you love sushi. The food is presented with such creative talent, a visual and taste sensation.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We really enjoyed this west Vancouver sushi restaurant. Presentation was nicely done. Combinations of ingredients were special and different. The patio was nice on a sunny day. The drinks were very special but somewhat pricey. I had Asahi on tap, very nice.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Our entrance to Zen was a welcome from the chefs at the sushi counter, a good start. The hostess seated us on the outdoor patio and a wait person immediately wanted to know our drink order barely before we sat down. After a quick look at the menu we ordered a beer and a wine
as well as 2 soups and an appetizer while we were then going to study the menu. My husbands soup came immediately, wait, then the beer, wait, then the wine, wait a long time then my soup and the appetizer. After we enjoyed these dishes we waited ...finally asked if we could order our dinnner - there seemed to be confusion as to which of the 3 ladies would actually take responsibilty for our table - finally dinner arrived. The food was good, we enjoyed the miso,sunomono ebi, coconut shrimp, and teriyaki dinners. At no time did anyone ask if our food was fine or if we would care for anything at our table. The place was not busy as it was a Tuesday evening so this was not their problem. After another long wait, we finally asked for some tea, more wait and asked for the bill. I suppose at lot of people do not read their bill but I do and sent it back to be billed for the correct wine, 2nd bill, sent it back to be billed for the correct wine, 3rd time lucky, we paid for the items we did order. I think it was just pure indifference in the service - an almost oh well, shoulder shrug - is it because we were using a gift given to us by family in the form of Groupon?
Too bad because there are many lovely places to eat here in West Vancouver
I suggest some staff training in hospitality toward customers, (the chefs excepted) after all we are the ones who left you 15% on the total bill with tax before the groupon discount - even though you really did not deserve it

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Off to the side of a three story, modern and stylish office building, a corridor leads to a gem of a Japanese restaurant on Marine Drive in West Vancouver. Zen is a secluded and tranquil dining room with glass walls drawing the eye outside, through the trees and beyond the neighboring buildings to the Pacific -- even as cool rain keeps one cozily inside. My table's focus was the exquisite bonsai Japanese maple planted on the veranda that shimmered with the day's mist and then rainfall. I could have stayed in that corner all day, sipping perfectly brewed green tea and nibbling on warm and delicately sauced Prawn Dumplings...suggested by Sarah, my greeter and server, to warm me up on an unexpectedly chilly summer afternoon. Joined by friends in a gradual stream, and changing tables to accommodate all of us, my dining experience became "less zen" and more of a boisterous celebration. Our feast began, with Sarah again suggesting courses upon request, welcoming new arrivals and keeping us well served for three delicious hours. Our dishes included: the freshest sockeye salmon sashimi I have ever had...more of those delicate dumplings...yellowtail, California and spicy tuna rolls, a dynamite Dynamite roll wrapped around prawn tempura, an excellent Miso made of a lovely fish broth...more salmon...and lusciously simple desserts. Zen does have green tea ice cream, but we ordered for the table a molten brownie with coconut ice cream and a crispy and sallty caramel almond "pastry stick" with vanilla ice cream. Sarah kept our tea cups full and hot, our water glasses full and ice cold...our different beer and wine selections straight...and cheerfully and attentively kept watch over our needs. We had a restless teen with us who enjoyed the pace of the meal as much as we did. I would highly recommend this attractive and tranquil, stylish restaurant. I do not agree with one reviewer that it has the ambiance of a "movers and shakers" kind of place. We found it quietly friendly and relaxed with impeccable and gracious service.