“Embarrassed!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keremeos
Cathedral Lakes Lodge
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had wanted to visit this area as the hikes there are highly rated, and having now been there, I would say for good reason. The area is quite unique in B.C. and although the forest has been hit hard with bug kill, it is still spectacular.
The Cathedral Lakes Lodge and operation are another matter. The visit starts with a one hour drive up a logging road in a dirty, beat up old Suburban. (We were lucky, others get to ride in open air 1960 vintage army trucks) These vehilces could not possibly pass any mechanical inspection and how they transport the public in them without being shut down is beyond me.

When you arrive at the camp you are greeted with a junk strewn yard littered with broken down old vehicles, pumps and other equipment. I have visited mining camps which were better kept.
The main lodge where we stayed was very old and I would best describe it as a fire trap. The Dining Room, Kitchen and Great room were all in reasonable condition when the location is taken into consideration, however, the bedrooms are located upstairs and are old and run down. The walls consist of 1960/70ish dark wood paneling with carpeted floors. Furniture is garage sale quality. The carpet was not in good repair and the bleach stain noted in another review was still there. The bathrooms are shared. As the lodge was not busy when we were there, they were easy to access. They were generally clean but poorly finished. Copper pipes are on the outside of the wall in the showers and the water goes from a normal temperature to full hot or full cold in an instant. I saw only one smoke detector; it was located in the narrow stairwell and it was broken. I have no idea how this building would pass a fire inspection.
On a good note, the staff were friendly. The food was great and plentiful.
Our stay was two nights in duration at a cost of around $1200 for my wife and myself. As a BC resident I am embarrassed that this accomodation is offered in my beautiful Province at such a ridiculous price. For this price you might assume you are getting first class accomodation...not the case here.
Bottom Line: I would recommend the area if you are into hiking, even with the bug kill. As they are the only game in town I would take the questionable transportation up ($100) if you don't feel like hiking a logging road for the first day. Once up top, stay in one of the many campsites and don't throw your money away on this lodge.

Room Tip: There are some cabins which you can rent apart from the lodge. You might have better luck there. I...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank ErnieR118
CathedralLakes, Owner at Cathedral Lakes Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your constructive criticism. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay, and we have noted several of your concerns. However, we would also like to clarify a few of your points.

We provide safe and reliable transportation to and from our lodge and the provincial campground. The vehicles we use are extremely rugged and dependable, and are inspected regularly by a professional mechanic.

We spend several thousand dollars every year on special equipment, labour (this includes the dangerous task of grading the road each season) and provincial permits to operate and maintain our 13 km private road to the lodge. The alternative for accessing the core of Cathedral Provincial Park (2000m) is a 16 km climb along the Lakeview Trail.

Our lodge was built in 1973. We have made several improvements over the years, and as annual revenue permits, we continue to make regular upgrades. This year we installed a new water pump and water treatment system. We also just started using a wood-burning water heater, and with the new system, are in the process of regulating the ideal water pressure and temperature.

With regards to our décor, we are a wilderness lodge. While our rooms and facilities are rustic, they are all very clean, and we make every effort to ensure our guests’ stay is as comfortable as possible. Because we cater to hikers, our carpets and floors do sustain wear and tear. They are vacuum-cleaned daily and steam-cleaned each season.

Our facility has a fire suppression system including a pump ready at all times. We also have working smoke detectors throughout the main building and cabins.

There are many extra expenses associated with operating a wilderness lodge including generators, fuel, road maintenance and water systems. While this cost is reflected in our rates, we strive to offer our guests the best value for their dollar. We are happy to say that many are returning customers, and recommend us to their friends and family.

We are proud to provide a safe, comfortable and authentic alpine experience surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery in the world.

We understand our lodge is not for everyone. For those looking for a more luxurious resort, we suggest Whistler or Banff.

Richard Padmos
Cathedral Lakes Lodge

Reviewed 11 September 2013

My air mattress days are in the rear view mirror so it was a real treat to be able to hike the alpine meadows and crags without the 40kg pack, the powdered potatoes, and the bad sleep on rocky ground. My wife and I had a simple cabin with a queen bed, our own bath and a basic kitchen. Everything was clean and well maintained. The staff was great. The excellent cooking of Jordon Padmos deserves special mention. While we were there the main stove broke down, but the kitchen never missed a beat. Win, the souse chef and baker went above and beyond to make special items for my wife, who has dietary problems. Special thanks to our host Richard and the booking agent Glenda for the adjustments we needed to fit our changing travel plans.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BurlyBuddhist
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We spent 3 nights (August 16 - 19) and had the most amazing time. All the staff in this resort are friendly and so very hard working. We love this place and have returned every couple of years since 1977. Jordan is a terrific chef......his German themed dinner was outstanding. Richard is a fabulous owner/host and makes every guest feel very welcome. The location is beautiful and wildlife abundant. Mountain goats, deer and marmots could be viewed at very close range....less than 40 feet from the deck of our cabin. It's not necessary to be a hiker to enjoy this fabulous resort with nature surrounding you.

Room Tip: Cabin # 2 has a queen size bed
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank johnandjudy2010
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I spent the 4th of July (coming from Seattle) at the campground at Cathedral Lakes and on those particular days, we were the only campers there and we loved it. I'd heard about this place way back in 2008 and we finally made it! And we plan to go again...

We totally enjoyed the truck ride up to the Lodge at some 6000 feet, the lakes were beautiful, the hikes incredible (up to Lakeview Mt. with 360 degree views was amazing), the Lodge and ranger staff were super helpful, and next time we'll have dinner at the Lodge! Because there WILL be a next time!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at the lodge and loved the place. The staff were all friendly and helpful, the lodgings decent and the food was great. The scenery and hiking was fantastic. It is well worth the trip for hikers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen_S155019
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I spent a recent long weekend at this lodge. It is a great escape from the hustle/bustle of life for a weekend. I stayed in the main lodge and the room was comfortable and clean. It did get warm in the evening after hot days, not sure actual temp but felt like about 27C. There were no screens on the window (room 6), but I opened the window to help cool the room down in the evenings. I did end up with some mosquito bites, but I'm not sure if that was from sleeping with the window open or from lounging around the lodge (I don't use bug repellent). Also, the window didn't have any black out curtains, this didn't bother me to get to sleep after a long day hiking, but I found myself waking up at sunrise each morning.

The shower and toilets are shared facilities, but each of the main lodge rooms has a small sink - handy for washing hands, face and cleaning teeth.

The day hikes were great and the fishing was great too. I wasn't up to hiking the rim, but the shorter and lower elevation hikes were beautiful. My favorite hike was to Lady Slipper Lake. The lake was partially frozen and there were some snow drifts to traverse. But the views were spectacular.

The lodge staff were very friendly and the food was great - especially knowing that they bring everything up the mountain. Jordan was the main chef and he would delight us each evening while Wyn did dessert (yum!). During one evening meal, the guests applauded both chefs. This duo was great.

The lodge itself is 'rustic' and I can see why some reviewers would comment that it is run down. The season is a short one and the owners spend time working on the lodge while it is open to guests, so I saw all sorts of activity from painting to the installation of a new chlorinated drinking water system. I'm not sure if this was because I stayed there during its low season (early opening). My favorite time (other than hiking) was spent sitting on the comfortable deck chairs by Quinesco lake in the early morning and late afternoons.

I had hot water for each of my showers - I had a hard time balancing the cold and the hot water so found the hot water, very hot. The hot tub offered a relaxing soak too - but the jets were broken. So just hot water with some interesting conversations.

It is expensive to stay at the lodge, but if you consider that everything is trucked in, you can understand why it's pricey.

Room Tip: If staying in the main lodge, ask for a room that faces the lake. Cabins may also be a good alterna...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank waejae_jae
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I have been a back pack adventure type all my life. I grew up in the Sierra's around Lake Tahoe and traveled the world and most of BC from Haida Guai to Sooke, exploreing and sleeping rough. In my late 60's, the spirit of adventure is still strong, but the spine has lost a bit of its flexibility. I can't get a decent night's sleep anymore on a foam pad or an air mattress. I can't pack 40 kg uphill all day. The question is: How to experience the alpine, the magic of the mountain meadows and the restorative power of the wilderness without the physical and logistical challenges. The answer is Cathedral Lakes Resort. My wife & I go every year and are pampered by the amazing staff and renewed by our reconnection to the natural world. Take your partner, take your children, take your grand children... This is the stuff that lasting memories are made of. This is the real world that Disneyland and Las Vegas are just pale shadows of.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BurlyBuddhist

Been to Cathedral Lakes Lodge? Share your experiences!