“Refreshing change”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Hart is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The newly refurbished (and reloved) White Hart at South Harting is one of few pubs remaining with traditional pub values, whilst providing excellent local and seasonal food and a warm welcome every time. Surrounded by stunning West Sussex countryside, nestled in the heartland of the South Downs; the White Hart caters for walkers, ramblers and all folk looking for a rest-stop along the way. Serving generously filled baguettes as well as high quality A La Carte meals, the White Hart is sure to satisfy the weary walker. A full selection of crowd pleasing Upham Ales is available as well as a highly regarded wine list. The White Hart at Harting is back, and we look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Visited for a meal again the other night & found they had a relief manager which was a welcome change as we always felt awful tension with the staff before. Food & service has always been good but the atmosphere needs to improve.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

No greeting, sticky table and dirty menu, salty soup and no check or asking how our meal was when paying means that I'm afraid this pub has dropped too low for us to return. No presence of management staff at all in fact that we could see! We used to love this pub when it first reopened, service was attentive and friendly and food was top notch. Management should be ashamed they've let it drop this far.

3  Thank JamesSam1
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Four of us arrived mid afternoon on a Sunday. The bar staff weren't very welcoming - you'd have thought it was 3am in the West End, not 3pm in the South Downs. I made it clear that my partner can't eat gluten - and we're both veggie. All the veggie options were off so I asked for the roast, without meat. I asked them check to see if the gravy contained gluten - if it's instant vegetable gravy it's unlikely to (and it's not big deal to make some up). Twenty minutes later our meals arrived. If I ran a pub I'd be embarrassed to put a plate holding some cauliflower, a couple of roast spuds, some seriously salty spring greens and a few air freighted green beans in front of someone and charge them £13, but they clearly weren't. No gravy. I asked if it had contained gluten and got a snidey 'it contains meat' response. Which is to be expected (the meat content, not the snidey ness) I realise but again, would it be so hard, for £13 a plate, to open a jar? Or do something, anything to cheer up a dry plate of veg?? Bung on some extra veg even?

The attitude of the staff, the poor effort of the chef and the lack of offer to knock (at least) a tenner of the bill gets this place a generous two stars (the garden was nice and the regulars friendly). More and more people can't eat gluten for whatever reason (in my partner's case, medical), so places like this need to sort themselves out.

2  Thank Rosie94
WhiteHartSH, Manager at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I am sorry to note that we failed to satisfy you on your recent visit.
I regret that our vegetarian options of gnocchi, vegetable gratin or wild mushroom risotto did not appeal. You opted for a meat free roast for which we normally charge the rate for a child’s meal. If this was not the case then we would happily refund the difference in price.
In the case of the gravy, all our gravies are gluten free, being made in house from raw materials. Once we had ascertained that fact it was pointed out, hopefully, courteously, that the sauce was meat based, which would be a reasonable warning to point out to a vegetarian. We do not use any manufactured sauces in our kitchen, so on this occasion we could not find an easy solution for you. We are very aware of the existence of different food allergies and intolerances and are equipped to deal with these on most occasions.
I again apologise if you found our waiting staff offhand and the kitchen unhelpful. If this was the case, it is not acceptable as we strive to provide a warm welcome and good service. Your comments have been shown to all our Sunday lunch staff and appropriate training will take place.
We would appreciate a further visit from you and if you make yourself known to me. I will ensure that your visit will be a pleasant one.
cliff Parry, Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I booked the White Hart over a month ago for a family get together following the scattering of my Dads ashes on the South Downs. There were 17 of us booked, so not as if it were a surprise to them. We all had roast, so nothing difficult there you would think!! I really had to hold back from walking out. The service was appalling and by the time we were served with our vegetables, which we continually had to keep asking for, the food was cold! I am sure that everything would have been fine if they had got themselves organised from the outset. We were going to stay for deserts and coffees, but couldn't bring ourselves to patronise the place any longer than we had to. Very very disappointed and to top it all the staff seemed to be totally oblivious to their complete foul up!! No apologies, just took our money (No Tip). If you charge premium prices we expect the service that goes with it (one word that describes this place is "Pretentious").

2  Thank Julesbarber
WhiteHartSH, Manager at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to The White Hart. I was very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our service levels on this occasion.

The main problem seems to have been that you were kept waiting for vegetables accompany your Sunday lunch. Unfortunately, it was not made clear to the kitchen by waiting staff that your party was sitting at separate tables, rather than all together. Due to the fact that all our food is freshly prepared to order and thus cannot be served instantly, there was a delay in getting extra dishes of vegetables out to you. I apologise for this delay.

After the meal, your party spent some time in the garden and after speaking to some of them, I felt that the mood was positive and they seemed to have enjoyed their meal. Had any issues been brought to my attention at that time, then maybe we could have reached an amicable resolution to them.

In any event, we take any complaints very seriously as we can only maintain high standards if our customers keep us informed of our performance levels. I am sorry that you found us ‘pretentious’ as we try hard to generate the relaxed atmosphere that a country pub should have. Once again, please accept my apologies if we had a negative effect on your important day. Please do call in again and I will be here to ensure you have a pleasant visit
Cliff Parry
Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Unparalleled views from the garden and tasty home-like food and feel. Highly recommended! Quite popular with the locals in the evenings, so better to book. Very atmospheric and cosy.