“Amazing Bed and "Breakfast"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowen Island
Lodge at The Old Dorm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Bowen Island B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing Bed and "Breakfast"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Dan is the amazing friendly owner of this charming B & B. The Old Dorm located 10 mins from the ferry by car. Great views of the bay and a lagoon are on the way to the lodge by foot, so it might take you more than 15 mins to get to the lodge. Breakfast is the highlight of our stay. Rooms are clean and comfy. Thank you Dan for the delicious breakfast!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

First of all I want to thank Dan, the owner, for an exceptional breakfast every day. They exceeded expectation each day :) The lodge was in a great location, an easy walk from the ferry (if you're fit and can drag your luggage on wheels you won't need a car) and a short walk to town. We were comfortable and it felt clean and bigger than we'd imagined. Very well insulated - we couldn't ever hear any other guests. A great price and worth every penny!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

The Lodge is a lovingly remodeled building—originally the dormitory for employees of the now-defunct Union Steamship Company—nicely located in a quiet, leafy neighborhood, near the ferry dock and village (a three minute drive or a five minute walk along a charming footpath across a small lagoon).

On entering the Lodge one finds oneself in a large, welcoming living room for the common use of guests, and behind it a casually elegant dining room where we ate our two excellent breakfasts, looking out onto the well-kept garden. (The latter offers tables and chairs for sitting outside in good weather.) All the rooms, including our bedrooms and baths, were comfortable, well kept, and tastefully decorated, without any of the cute, fussy, over-done decor of some B&B's.

A party of four, we were given two rooms on the ground floor, each with a large and very comfortable bed which even my touchy back found agreeable. Our bathroom was extraordinarily spacious and beautifully appointed. The huge tub (there's also a separate shower) easily accommodates two.

The full breakfasts were first rate: carefully selected ingredients, expertly prepared. Dishes included Eggs Benedict, a mushroom omelette (both made with exceptionally good eggs), homemade bread and granola and abundant fresh fruit.

Our host Dan was welcoming, easygoing, and attentive, without ever imposing himself. When we added a second reservation at the last moment he was able to accommodate us, and did so by upgrading us to larger, more expensive room at no extra charge (though the room would have been a good value even at the regular rate). I didn't see the upstairs rooms, so can't speak to them, but didn't hear any grumbling among the guests.

If there are any negatives to this delightful inn, I did not discover them in our two-night stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Four of us stayed at this lovely B&B for 2 nights, and I wish restaurants would serve the kind of breakfast assortment that we had here. We felt very well taken care of, Dan, the owner is kind, accommodating and the rates were very reasonable (the most reasonable we found on the island).
We met other travelers (and even walked to the beach and had a small campfire on a pebble beach nearby) who were equally kind, interesting, and joined in a great breakfast conversation.
I will be coming back to this place.
Thanks Dan!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Bowen Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

There are not many places to stay on Bowen, and one would think the lack of competition would bring high prices and mediocre digs.

Not so at the Lodge at the Old Dorm, which really was a dormitory for Union Steamship Company workers until the 1960's.

With an Arts and Crafts architectural vernacular and loving restoration work by proprietor Dan Parkin, the place is immediately appealing. That feeling is enhanced when one experiences the hospitality and enjoys the lovely facets of the place- terrific rooms and bathrooms, great shared common room, open 'snack' kitchen, and scrumptious breakfasts. Dan is a chef of local repute, who also caters events such as weddings and the well known 'Round Bowen Kayak Race', largest of its sort in the region.

Bowen is less than an hour from Vancouver. You can walk to the Dorm from the ferry, and there are great hikes nearby- half of Bowen is under consideration for a National Park. As well, lots of local artists sell their wares in myriad small shops, and there is always some music event going on.

For a weekend or mid week getaway, especially in the off season when the island is quieter, you will be charmed.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

My mother and I stayed at this B&B in July. I was looking for a room with twin beds that I could book for a night or two as I was helping my mother move back to Bowen Island.
We had the Lady Evelyn room for $95 a night. The bathroom (with toilet, sink and shower) was down the hall and I think this is reflected in the relatively inexpensive nightly rate for this room. We had the bathroom to ourselves when we were there but if the lodge is full there is the potential to have to share this bathroom. If you need your own private bathroom be sure to book one of the rooms that is advertised as having one.
This B&B had a large sitting area at the front of the house with various couches and chairs and a TV. On our second night here there was a couple watching TV when we arrived back for the evening. There was also a second comfortable and inviting seating area upstairs near our room. I also saw a small common kitchen area here as well but we didn't make use of it.
I always read Tripadvisor before I travel and I had read a review complaining about how noisy it was at this lodging and how thin the walls were. I was a little concerned about this but we had absolutely no problem with this. It was very quiet when we stayed and it was only when we went down for breakfast in the morning that I realized there were at least 4 other guests besides us each night.
For me the breakfast each morning was the highlight of this visit. Dan had very good coffee out by 8am. I would take some coffee and sit outside in the sun until breakfast was ready at 8:30am. I love food and the two breakfasts I had at this B&B were better than any breakfast I have had at the various Fairmont Hotels I have stayed at. Both mornings we had a splendid array of fresh cut fruit (in a salad or on our plates) there was yogurt out too. The first morning I had a very tasty version of eggs benedict and the second morning I had a warm, crispy croissant filled with an egg concoction that included capers among other things. There was always lots of fresh toast and homemade jam.
This is a great place to stay. It is a 5 minute walk away from a pretty public beach. It is also walking distance from the Snug Cove Ferry Terminal and the shops, coffee cafes and restaurants that are clustered in the cove area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

Great location just a short walk from Snug cove.
Rebecca was welcoming and friendly and made a delicious breakfast.
Only down side was that there were no locks on the bedrooms so we didn't feel happy leaving anything in the room -would be easy to fix!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Gibsons
Pinnacle Hotel At The Pier
#1 of 10 in North Vancouver
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,195 reviews
Best Western Capilano Inn & Suit...
#3 of 10 in North Vancouver
On the Sea B&B
#4 of 13 in Bowen Island
Alderwood Farm Cozy Cottage
#10 of 13 in Bowen Island

Been to Lodge at The Old Dorm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!