“Relaxing place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bowen Island
Ardtara Luxury Cottages
“Relaxing place”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at this cottage for two nights recently. It was extremely peaceful and relaxing. Beautiful cottage, with heated floors in the bathroom. First time to the island, so our visit went well. We were looking for a oceanfront place, which this place did not have. There is no real oceanview either, which we did not mind after seeing our cottage. The drive to the nearest beach is about 5 minutes though. The owner seemed a little rude at one point, but otherwise we had a great visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jasmyn12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This is my second time at Ardtara and I love it. This place has become a haven for me. It is truly a luxury cottage experience as the classic cottage bathroom french door entry boasts a full soaker tub, lavender sea salts, and heated floors! This little cottage is spacious, equipped with flat screen for watching movies, and comfy chair for reading. Upon arrival we went directly to the pool where we were given a glass of wine to settle in and relax. The gourmet breakfasts and personal service are what make this B&B unique. We were able to communicate our food preferences in advance and were treated to lemon ricotta pancakes, covered in yogurt and fresh berries, a small glass of rich Mexican hot chocolate and cappuccino on our sun deck! Every morning we were thrilled by tasty new creations, fresh and organic. I sleep better here than at home, and always leave refreshed. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: keep in mind these cottages are on the south end, far from snug cove, so you would need a car to get...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladyJTM
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Excellent find on Bowen Island if you're looking for a quiet location with beautiful private cottages, a gourmet style breakfast and fabulous service. We rented both cottages and loved both of them in their unique design. The heated pool, heated bathroom floors and steam room were a treat as we stayed in a cooler month. The fireplace really came in handy as well. Super clean with the details perfected. I literally had the best sleep here. I travel frequently and stay in lots of different places but this is one of my favourites. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelforfunandbiz
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Very peaceful and private. Stayed two nights and will happily go again! The breakfast was not a continental juice and muffin, but a full, yummy gourmet spread. Only downside were the two small dogs..they jumped up on me and I don't really like dogs...but the Owner called them away and there were no more problems. The cottages were spacious and modern. Very comfortable. Had the best night's sleep I've had in years!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aztector
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We went across the ferry to Bowan Island with our old bikes and planned on cycling to this fabulous Bed and Breakfast to celebrate my birthday. Not realizing the upward battle and strain of such a hilly island we continued until one bike broke….then we walked the rest of the way….all uphill. We arrived desperate for something to drink and anything to eat, totally unprepared. One of the hosts kindly offered us ice cold beer and arranged (on the spot) some delicious Wild Salmon with the best couscous I’ve ever had. Fresh herbs sniped out of the garden were added to create an inspiring flavor; Inspiring me to start a herb garden of my own! We were excitedly greeted by Kika and Lucy, the resident dogs who enthusiastically let us play and pet them whenever we whistled. The surrounding grass and gardens are beautifully natural and radiant with colour. We stayed in the contemporary cottage decorated in unique talented paintings, complete with an aromatherapy steam shower! It was heaven! I think my favorite part was breakfast. Wow, I can still taste the divine frittata, decadent fresh made (yes I’m serious it was made that morning) chocolate croissant paired perfectly with a frothy cappuccino. Our Hosts were incredibly kind, inviting and glad to help with whatever we needed. They even had an old bike that they gave to us to make it back to Vancouver! This time we had the thrill of speeding down those hills, keeping up with the cars.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tessa_phillips
San Diego
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My husband and I travel to Bowen Island to visit family and since South Pointe Cottages opened, we have made it our yearly place to stay! Every detail has been attended to and the breakfasts are 4-star! We especially love the heated floors and walk-in steam room for two with aromatherapy. All the stress melts away! We have stayed in both cottages and each is charming in its own way. We felt very spoiled when Jackie brought us appetizers and drinks pool side. We would recommend this stay for couples looking for a boutique hotel type experience with the charm of an oceanview island property. A pool and croquet are on site and a spectacular 9-hole golf course down the street.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sdartist
Vancouver
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We had an absolutely awful experience at the South Point Cottages. The smaller details as to why are secondary to the main reason: I suffered a very serious second degree steam burn (the most painful kind according to the doctor) inside the steamroom/shower.

When we arrived I carefully read the notes as to how to use the cottage and there was NO WARNING anywhere about the extremely dangerous steam vents.

My husband and I showered with our 15 month old son and when my husband got out, I passed our son to him to dry off. My foot went back a little for balance and then suddenly felt a pain so intense it may have taken awhile to register as the depth of the burn has left me scarred for life.

The only reason I wasn't hysterical with pain was that it could have just as easily happened to our 15month old who was in the shower with us and I was grateful that it hadn't. There are two extremely hot metal steam vents at calf level. In a large two person shower (as we have at home) there are several metal nozzles and hooks and I had no idea the steam was coming from there; I assumed it was coming from above. It was an awful way to find out.

My husband went to get a band-aid or polysporin from the lady who owns/runs the place and she had neither. Apparently $175 a night doesn't get you access to a first aid kit. Nor did she ever stop by to see how I was doing (the cottages are in her back yard).
In an effort to not upset my son any more, I went outside and tried to “breathe” out some of the pain. The owner was riding her mower and eventually had to pass me when she was done. She said “I heard you burned yourself”. When I showed her the burn she said I must have left my foot on it a long time for it to do that. No. I wouldn't have left it a millisecond longer than I had to. When I mentioned there was no warning and it could have burned my child who was in the shower with us, she said that she thought everyone knew what steam vents looked like as they have them at the “Y”. I don't go to the “Y”, my apartment building doesn't have a steam room, nor does my gym. If it was common knowledge that something so dangerous would be right underneath the taps I wouldn't have let my son in there. I distinctly said to her before we went up that it would be nice to try the “steam room” as a family and never did she mention the vents. She chose to ignore us the rest of the stay and we never got so much as an apology.

I was unable to shower or bath the foot for 4 months. I had to change the bandages and gauze at least daily for a month. I had to be extremely careful with my son's nighttime baths as I couldn't put my foot in the tub not to mention my inability to wear most shoes for several months.

The emergency doctor I saw when we got back to Vancouver suggested I take her to court. I would like my medical expenses taken care of so I have phoned a few times and asked to have her medical insurance information. She has repeatedly ignored my calls and emails. I am shocked this person is allowed to run a Bed & Breakfast.

I am a very busy professional mom so I haven't had the time to address this sooner but travel season really reminds me how important it is to research the places you are traveling to and the people running them.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
#2 of 3 in Gibsons
Nectar Yoga B&B
Nectar Yoga B&B
#1 of 13 in Bowen Island

Been to Ardtara Luxury Cottages? Share your experiences!