We had an absolutely awful experience at the South Point Cottages. The smaller details as to why are secondary to the main reason: I suffered a very serious second degree steam burn (the most painful kind according to the doctor) inside the steamroom/shower.
When we arrived I carefully read the notes as to how to use the cottage and there was NO WARNING anywhere about the extremely dangerous steam vents.
My husband and I showered with our 15 month old son and when my husband got out, I passed our son to him to dry off. My foot went back a little for balance and then suddenly felt a pain so intense it may have taken awhile to register as the depth of the burn has left me scarred for life.
The only reason I wasn't hysterical with pain was that it could have just as easily happened to our 15month old who was in the shower with us and I was grateful that it hadn't. There are two extremely hot metal steam vents at calf level. In a large two person shower (as we have at home) there are several metal nozzles and hooks and I had no idea the steam was coming from there; I assumed it was coming from above. It was an awful way to find out.
My husband went to get a band-aid or polysporin from the lady who owns/runs the place and she had neither. Apparently $175 a night doesn't get you access to a first aid kit. Nor did she ever stop by to see how I was doing (the cottages are in her back yard).
In an effort to not upset my son any more, I went outside and tried to “breathe” out some of the pain. The owner was riding her mower and eventually had to pass me when she was done. She said “I heard you burned yourself”. When I showed her the burn she said I must have left my foot on it a long time for it to do that. No. I wouldn't have left it a millisecond longer than I had to. When I mentioned there was no warning and it could have burned my child who was in the shower with us, she said that she thought everyone knew what steam vents looked like as they have them at the “Y”. I don't go to the “Y”, my apartment building doesn't have a steam room, nor does my gym. If it was common knowledge that something so dangerous would be right underneath the taps I wouldn't have let my son in there. I distinctly said to her before we went up that it would be nice to try the “steam room” as a family and never did she mention the vents. She chose to ignore us the rest of the stay and we never got so much as an apology.
I was unable to shower or bath the foot for 4 months. I had to change the bandages and gauze at least daily for a month. I had to be extremely careful with my son's nighttime baths as I couldn't put my foot in the tub not to mention my inability to wear most shoes for several months.
The emergency doctor I saw when we got back to Vancouver suggested I take her to court. I would like my medical expenses taken care of so I have phoned a few times and asked to have her medical insurance information. She has repeatedly ignored my calls and emails. I am shocked this person is allowed to run a Bed & Breakfast.
I am a very busy professional mom so I haven't had the time to address this sooner but travel season really reminds me how important it is to research the places you are traveling to and the people running them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two luxurious 400 sq. ft. cottages situated on three exclusive acres with a heated, outdoor pool. Relax on the deck of your cottage, lounge by the pool, or watch the cruise ships pass below from our sunny front deck. Your private, boutique cottage has a gas fireplace, oak/maple flooring, plasma TV/DVD, iPod stereo, heated floors and walk-in spa steam room or soaker tub. Your stay includes a gourmet breakfast prepared by our resident chef and delivered to your cottage, or you can choose our “hotel-only” option. Golf course and hiking trails only one minute away. We also host special events and weddings! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- South Pointe Luxury Cottages Hotel Bowen Island