“True luxury and wonderful hospitality on a gem of an island!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ardtara Luxury Cottages

Ardtara Luxury Cottages
San Diego
“True luxury and wonderful hospitality on a gem of an island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

My husband and I travel to Bowen Island to visit family and since South Pointe Cottages opened, we have made it our yearly place to stay! Every detail has been attended to and the breakfasts are 4-star! We especially love the heated floors and walk-in steam room for two with aromatherapy. All the stress melts away! We have stayed in both cottages and each is charming in its own way. We felt very spoiled when Jackie brought us appetizers and drinks pool side. We would recommend this stay for couples looking for a boutique hotel type experience with the charm of an oceanview island property. A pool and croquet are on site and a spectacular 9-hole golf course down the street.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank sdartist

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

We had an absolutely awful experience at the South Point Cottages. The smaller details as to why are secondary to the main reason: I suffered a very serious second degree steam burn (the most painful kind according to the doctor) inside the steamroom/shower.

When we arrived I carefully read the notes as to how to use the cottage and there was NO WARNING anywhere about the extremely dangerous steam vents.

My husband and I showered with our 15 month old son and when my husband got out, I passed our son to him to dry off. My foot went back a little for balance and then suddenly felt a pain so intense it may have taken awhile to register as the depth of the burn has left me scarred for life.

The only reason I wasn't hysterical with pain was that it could have just as easily happened to our 15month old who was in the shower with us and I was grateful that it hadn't. There are two extremely hot metal steam vents at calf level. In a large two person shower (as we have at home) there are several metal nozzles and hooks and I had no idea the steam was coming from there; I assumed it was coming from above. It was an awful way to find out.

My husband went to get a band-aid or polysporin from the lady who owns/runs the place and she had neither. Apparently $175 a night doesn't get you access to a first aid kit. Nor did she ever stop by to see how I was doing (the cottages are in her back yard).
In an effort to not upset my son any more, I went outside and tried to “breathe” out some of the pain. The owner was riding her mower and eventually had to pass me when she was done. She said “I heard you burned yourself”. When I showed her the burn she said I must have left my foot on it a long time for it to do that. No. I wouldn't have left it a millisecond longer than I had to. When I mentioned there was no warning and it could have burned my child who was in the shower with us, she said that she thought everyone knew what steam vents looked like as they have them at the “Y”. I don't go to the “Y”, my apartment building doesn't have a steam room, nor does my gym. If it was common knowledge that something so dangerous would be right underneath the taps I wouldn't have let my son in there. I distinctly said to her before we went up that it would be nice to try the “steam room” as a family and never did she mention the vents. She chose to ignore us the rest of the stay and we never got so much as an apology.

I was unable to shower or bath the foot for 4 months. I had to change the bandages and gauze at least daily for a month. I had to be extremely careful with my son's nighttime baths as I couldn't put my foot in the tub not to mention my inability to wear most shoes for several months.

The emergency doctor I saw when we got back to Vancouver suggested I take her to court. I would like my medical expenses taken care of so I have phoned a few times and asked to have her medical insurance information. She has repeatedly ignored my calls and emails. I am shocked this person is allowed to run a Bed & Breakfast.

I am a very busy professional mom so I haven't had the time to address this sooner but travel season really reminds me how important it is to research the places you are traveling to and the people running them.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank jil8
Richmond, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

My son (who is 8 yrs old) and I spend one night at the South Pointe Cottages this past weekend. We both really liked the experience. We stayed in the Napa Cottage.

The cabins are the perfect mix of city luxuries (iPod stereo, flat screen TV and DVD player, heated bathroom tiles) and forest surroundings. There is a good selection of DVDs or you can bring your own. No cable in the room which was fine by us.

The cabins are located behind the owners house at the back of the property. Yes, all the window are clear (including the bathroom window) but it is very private. You can sit in the clawfoot tub and look out at the forest around you. It would be a shame to block this view with frosted glass. There are plenty of curtains on the the other windows to provide privacy from the neighbours.

The breakfast was excellent and served in the cabin. Home made crab quiche with blueberries and yogurt.

Bowen Island is a great place to spend one night or a few nights. It is a great getaway without going to far from Vancouver.

I will definitely be back with my husband to try out the other cabin.

• Liked — Luxury while still feel like you are getting away from the city
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
#10 of 13 in Bowen Island
Horseshoe Bay Motel
Horseshoe Bay Motel
#1 of 1 in West Vancouver

Been to Ardtara Luxury Cottages? Share your experiences!