“New and improved”

Price range: US$8 - US$16
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have lived on Bowen a long time and seen this wonderful little pub change hands many times and usually end up failing in service and food! In the summer the Howe sound brewery took it over and have worked very hard to bring it back up to scratch! I have been a couple of times since they have taken over and I have to say what a stellar job they have done. The food is great pub food and fabulous fish and chips, the service is fabulous and the brews are great! Well done you guys for turning this place around! Keep up the good work, and if you've tried it before and weren't happy- try it again- you won't be disappointed!!!!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

So lunchtime Sept 20th is way out of season but we received great service at this very relaxed establishment, it was warm enough to sit on the patio and enjoy the view whilst waiting for the ferry back to horseshoe bay. We shared a plate of wings as an early lunch but wished we had been hungrier as the fish and chips looked delicious, would highly recommend.

1  Thank nicole c
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We arrived for lunch at about 11:30am and it seemed like there were only 2 waiters for the large lower patio. The wait staff were pleasant but appeared very inexperienced and confused. She forgot to take one of our orders at a table for 4. There was confusion with the water and more confusion when we tried paying the bill.
The food (Cob salad, slaw, crab cakes, pulled pork sandwich and fries, and a Caesar Salad, chicken wings) was basically OK. If you sit on the patio make are to get an umbrella otherwise it's way too hot.

1  Thank brodie52
Reviewed 5 July 2013

A group of my friends went on a boating trip to Bowen Island this past trip and we were originally going to go to the Tuscany, but they were not accommodating when it came to seating us on a patio, despite having a reservation.
We checked out Doc Morgans nearby and were blown away by how quickly they were able to seat a big group of 12 and make it comfortable for us - umbrellas up, drinks in our hands and meals ordered in a pleasant and timely fashion. Meanwhile we had wonderful time on the patio and our server, Stephanie was very friendly and polite.
It has a great vibe for anyone and everyone, whether you're there for a boating excursion, a date, family meal, celebrations, casual get togethers, parties, etc.
We ordered 4 bottles of wine and 4 appetizers. I ordered the salmon burger without a bun and on a bed of fresh greens (highly recommended!).
All in all, it was an unforgettable experience and I would highly recommend Doc Morgans. Working in the wine industry means a lot of restaurant activity on my part, and with that I can say that Docs is truly a gem. I'll be there this weekend. See you there! :)

3  Thank VancouverBubbles
Reviewed 2 July 2013

6 of us arrived on Bowen in search of a Patio, cold drinks & food... Arrived at Doc's - great view - great location - 2 great patios... We lasted 5 mins on the upper patio - too hot & not enough umbrellas to go around - We moved downstairs to a picnic table that was covered...

We were greeted by Diego who was running this area - He was awesome! We all ordered drinks from him and sat back down looking for a menu... "Apparently" we were only "allowed" to order BBQ? I went in to ask for a menu (reminder - the restaurant was empty inside) I asked a manager for a menu & he bit my head off & went into the "RULES"... I mentioned to him that i didn't think anyone would be upset if they saw us enjoying a meal? I also asked him why he was being so rude? I was asking a simple question?? He said he was having a bad day & many people kept asking the same question?

First of all - i can't remember the last time I was in a restaurant where we had to try so hard to spend money?? Second of all - we were hungry & did not feel like a burger - So we asked Diego if he might be able to help us out? (Remember - all we were asking for was a menu & a couple of Ceasar's from the bar) The next thing we see is another cranky manager reprimanding Diego in front of customers explaining "The Rules" to him....

At this point - we should have left - but we were settled at our table - trying to enjoy the long weekend!! We really liked the attitude that Diego had - so why not stay!

You might be wondering by now what the “Rules” are?? Well – from what I could understand – if you sit in the beer garden – You can only order beer/cider/wine from the setup on the patio – You can only order a burger or ribs from the bbq – You cannot order anything from the restaurant – you cannot have a menu – you cannot order from the bar. As far as I am concerned – if you are going to have this many rules – have a bloody sign or note on the table... I am sure people will always ask the same question why? I do understand “The Reason for the Rules” when the restaurant is “Packed” the kitchen cannot accommodate everyone – so not a bad idea – HOWEVER – when the place is not packed – why not be able to accommodate paying customers – or explain in a better way – We tried to sit on the upper patio – but could not last in the sun without an umbrella – they explained that they are short of umbrellas & would be looking into getting more?? (guys – its the Canada Day long weekend – people want to be on a patio – poor planning)

Long story short. We did manage to get a few menu's - we ordered. Food was nothing special – Next time we dock at Bowen – we will stop by to see if Diego is working – say hello - have a drink – tip him well & move on to the place up the street!

A little note to the owners/managers - Don’t disrespect paying customers & don't dress down your staff - especially in front of us – we were a nice polite group looking to enjoy an afternoon – just because you have a convenient location & great patio - doesn’t give you have the right to be rude!!

6  Thank Kp33