“Improved”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Haven't been to The Green Man for about 4 years, as it was falling behind the competition. We went there last night and was pleased to see that it has had a nice makeover and the food was acceptable, the staff were very good and it has a lovely garden,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This used to be the casual, reliable place to take visitors for lunch. However, I will avoid in future. Food was uninspiring. I had a jacket potato which must have been cooked hours before. The poor lady behind the bar was run off her feet and was obviously stressed but very friendly.
Sadly, I will not be returning in a hurry.

1  Thank cahow
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Beautiful building inside and out. Cosy and warm nostalgic even as it is surely a couple of hundred years old.
The menu is well put together with choices for all, obviously the food is made on premises and not bought in from brakes or 3663. We had the seafood pie, beef cheek pie and the calves liver. And all 3 of us have travelled and worked in the hospitality trade and agreed the food is the best around by a country mile, for the price and its not a red star or Michelin stared eatery.
The reason it does not get 5 stars is for the same reason most posters say. The service is in dire need of structure and doing the basics correctly. The thing is its a pub with exceptional food, if I want spectacular service I would go to somewhere where I know I would get it.
I have not posted before because I do not like to be negative as everyone has faults. But please people if you want good food at reasonable prices go there, but don't expect silver service.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Is this a pub or a restaurant? Went in for a few drinks with friends only to wait at the bar whilst staff served food to the tables, then a further wait as they served drinks that people ordered sat at other tables, this place needs to decide whether it is a pub or a restaurant. If it is a restaurant then fine but if a pub then service should be ordered and served at the bar or get more staff. No atmosphere as no locals use the pub and the preference to food is obviously the reason, with no drinkers it may soon be under new management again

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I went to the Green Man with some friends and had a very pleasant evening. The staff and the service were excellent. The food was very good quality and very well cooked. My only reservation is that the vegetarian choice, although very nice, was very limited. However I am not surprised as most pubs/restaurants are not very accommodating. Vegetarian options are generally added as an afterthought. I had a vegetarian curry which I have to say was very tasty, so compliments to the chef for that one.