“Portway inn”
Review of The Portway Inn

The Portway Inn
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Well stayed at the port way about 3 times now, rooms not bad nice and clean.The food is not cheap and a bit on the tight side but you do get a good pint

Room Tip: Go for one at the back
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Portway Inn

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I have just arrived home after what I can only describe as the most restful week we have ever experienced in a hotel. This was our second stay at the Portway and we cannot fault any part of our week. From the welcome we received on arrival, the spotlessly clean linen in our room and the freshly cooked delicious choice from a menu that will please all. The staff are so friendly and obliging, nothing is too much trouble for them! We are looking foward to our next stay there!

Room Tip: You must try the rooms in the barn - superb!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I went with husband and our 4.5 months old daughter on valentine's day. The waitress was not friendly and welcoming at all. The food tasted like a canteen food, from starter to desert! Moreover it is expensive! So not worth it! I used to work in french hotel management company, if you wish to improve, please change your chef and waitress.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I, together with our dog, have just enjoyed our second stay at the Portway Inn, Staunton (March 2012). Our second visit was based on our previous visit – that of good value for money, good beer (Hancocks), good food and the friendly welcome we were given. We were not disappointed and have booked again for another visit in October – we use it as a base for visiting Hay on Wye where we enjoy trawling through the bookshops. Hay on Wye is about 10 miles away and extremely easy to reach.

I understand that the Inn only changed hands in 2010 and the new owner is striving, successfully, to change the inn into of a hotel rather than a pub with rooms, which are currently being refurbished. The only thing which I found lacking was a shaver point in the bathroom of our room however that was of minor consequence as I had an adapter plug with me.

On a final note – if you take your dog with you, there is, literally, some yards from the Inn an orchard where the dog can run free.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Upon our arrival at the hotel we found the owner of the hotel to be very efficient and polite. We were promptly shown to our room and asked if we would like a cup of tea or coffee. Bearing in mind we had the facilities in the room I thought this was a very nice gesture.

The hotel has been newly renevated and all furniture and furnishings were excellent.

The downsides were that there was no hairdryer in the room, and it was on a main road so became noisy at 7.00 a.m. but we knew this when we booked it.

We went to the bar to have a drink and this was served promptly. A new bar person had started that day but the service was excellent.

The hotel is easy to find as it is on the main road into Hereford.

The breakfast could not be faulted it was cooked to perfection.

We booked the trip through laterooms.com and for the price was excellent value.

Room Tip: A room to the back of the hotel would make this quieter stay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

No one in bar on arrival, room not ready but the young lady did give us a room that was available, bearing in mind we arrived at about 1.10pm and it was freezing outside, shown to our room going along squeeky floorboards. Went to bar for a drink and was told that the door would be locked shortly as they were all going home and would be back later. Unfortunately there was no heating in the room at all and had to sit in my thick sheepskin coat to get warm, heating evenually turned on at 5pm, however the bathroom had no heating whatsoever, the sink area would have been ok for a child it was so tiny and I certainly didnt fancy taking a shower in the freezing cold! Had a meal in evening in their restaurant pork was fatty other people chose more wisely sticking to the fish, next morning had breakfast didnt fancy filter coffee after nearly choking on coffee grounds the day before so had tea, the pot only had 1 teabag in it! A very disappointing stay and will not repeat.

Room Tip: Lower rooms warmer!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lucky1127
Reviewed 22 January 2012

After finally settling on The Portway as a nice place to have Sunday lunch, the 4 of us with 2 kids arrived at about 12.45pm, looking forward to another nice meal as we had been there some years before, but had heard the place was being renovated since then (what they have done looks quite nice).
We went to the bar, and arranged a high chair, this came fairly promptly, and got the kids settled.
I then went to the bar to order drinks and food - with no-one else in front of me I still had to wait around 5 minutes to be served as the 2 female members of staff and the owner seemed more concerned about sorting out a till issue than taking more orders, but was ignored by all 3 even though the till was right in front of me...
The drinks were poured from a 2 litre bottle of Coke, over some ice in the glasses, by the time I carried the drinks 5 yards to the table the ice had melted - all being thirsty we had a sip at the same time, and all realised the drinks were warm...
While ordering the drinks, I asked for 4 Roast lunches, and was told they would come across and take our order.
5 minutes passed and no-one had come although there was comings and goings from behind the bar. This time my wife asked if we could order some food, and again, was told they would be right there. After another 10 minutes my brother-in-law asked and finally someone came over.
The order was taken from a friendly enough waitress, and before long the food arrived.
The beef looked ok, but all the slices were uniform and resembled a Bernard Matthews Joint rather than some of the great beef Hereford is known for.
We asked for some Horseradish and Cranberry sauces, which came promptly enough, but since there was one person eating beef, and three eating Turkey we had a huge pot of Horseradish and a very small serving of Cranberry.
The veg was lacking iminagination - 2 over cooked roast spuds each, and 2 small side bowls containing cauliflower, broccoli and carrots between all 4 of us.
The overall impression was they really did not mind if we had a good meal or not - we were never asked.
The salt and pepper they seemed to want us to have never appeared at the table.
On paying, the owner asked if we had any drinks with the food, and when I replied we had 4 warm cokes, just offered the rather lame excuse that they cannot keep the Coke cold, as they
get through so much so quickly, when I suggested they get a bigger fridge I was told that was impractical, so suggested getting more ice cubes instead, and was just told other pubs manage to keep the coke cold as they have the hose pumps, that they cannot have - due to lack of volume!!
But in his defense he did take the drinks off the bill.
The service overall was lacking!
Will not rush back....

#1 of 1 in Hay-on-Wye
Parliament Barn
Parliament Barn
#1 of 1 in Winforton

Been to The Portway Inn? Share your experiences!