The Portway Inn
The Priory Hotel(Stretton Sugwas)
US$164
Rhydspence Inn(Whitney-on-Wye)
US$118
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Hereford Hotel(Hereford)(Great Value!)
US$72
PremierInn.com
The Swan at Hay(Hay-on-Wye)
US$153
  • Restaurant
Castle House(Hereford)
US$206
Hotels.com
All reviewshay on wyeresidents loungebeefsunday lunchsteak nightevening mealroad noiseincluded breakfastsloping floorsthe pubexcellent place to staydouble glazingsuperior roombread and butter puddingenjoyable staywell worth a visitbeautiful countryside
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The Portway Inn divides opinion and it's not hard to see why. It's an old coaching inn, but not in a twee, cute sort of way - more a rickety sort of way.The floorboards creek, the passageways are a warren of up, down and around, the floors are uneven and the ergonomics are not what they would be in a new build (stepping up or down into the bathroom in the middle of the night for instance).
The landlord is in the process of slowly upgrading the place, some rooms have been done, others haven't - another reason for the disparity of opinions.
We've stayed here the last 2 years whilst attending the Hay Festival (20mins by car) and it has suited us very well. Food is good (better than last year) but not cheap, breakfasts are good, beer is good, the place is clean.
The inn has a 'personal', almost B&B feel, nothing like the anonymity of a corporate hotel chain - some people will like this, some won't. They went out of their way to prepare a crack-of-dawn breakfast for us when we had an early start at the festival. It was very much appreciated.
I would stay here again, it's all we need - but it is a three and a half star sort of place that is slowly upgrading to a 4 star. If you are looking for an inn where you will spend most of the day you can find better, but as a base to explore the lovely surrounding countryside (Hereford, Wye Valley, Beacons, Hay etc) this is ideal and good value for money.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been upgraded and some have not (as of may 2012). Some are at the front a few yards from the road, others at the back overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed at the Portway Inn with my wife for a weekend and having read the reviews, I was not sure what to expect but I am very rarely put off by the bad publicity that some seem to write. I was met by the owner and then sat down with a pint whilst awaiting my wife. On her arrival, the staff had started a log fire and we sat down to a drink. Later that evening, we had a lovely bar snack and some more drinks. All I can say is that the service was lovely, the place was clean and the cost was very reasonable. I am not sure what people expect when they say the food is a bit on the tight side but the portions were certainly large enough for me and my wife. I would gladly recommend this establishment for a lovely weekend away and the restaurant is very nice.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine although the ones over the bar and restaurant are the warmest.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Well stayed at the port way about 3 times now, rooms not bad nice and clean.The food is not cheap and a bit on the tight side but you do get a good pint

Room Tip: Go for one at the back
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I have just arrived home after what I can only describe as the most restful week we have ever experienced in a hotel. This was our second stay at the Portway and we cannot fault any part of our week. From the welcome we received on arrival, the spotlessly clean linen in our room and the freshly cooked delicious choice from a menu that will please all. The staff are so friendly and obliging, nothing is too much trouble for them! We are looking foward to our next stay there!

Room Tip: You must try the rooms in the barn - superb!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I went with husband and our 4.5 months old daughter on valentine's day. The waitress was not friendly and welcoming at all. The food tasted like a canteen food, from starter to desert! Moreover it is expensive! So not worth it! I used to work in french hotel management company, if you wish to improve, please change your chef and waitress.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family