“Perfect spot for a relaxing break.”
Review of The Portway Inn

and 1 more site!
The Portway Inn
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed at the Portway for 2 nights on the 22nd + 23rd March as first time visitors to the area. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome thanks to the attentiveness and willingness to help out with local knowledge from the staff at the reception and bar staff etc.(Check out the fascinating story of the horses head set into the floor of the bar area, there's GOT to be a folk song in that somwhere!.) We dined both nights with friends we were meeting for a birthday celebration, who also stayed at the Portway. Both the bar area and the restaurant are available for dining by choice and both were very comortable, the bar with a fireplace and sofas.The beer on offer was from loacal brewers and could have been a bit more lively out of the pumps but I put it down to the inexperience of the relatively young staff. By the way, there's a good selection of single malts on offer and games,darts and cards for guest use. Our room (12) was spacious, clean and well furnished with a confortable sofa and chair and the bath/ shower room was very roomy and was complimented by a dressing area with a full length mirror and dressing table.The beams are incredibly atmosphericThe bed was fabulous. Super king sized and so comfortable that my parrtner and I enjoyed 2 of the most relaxing and restful nights sleep ever while away from home.The food was very good and except for one of our party feeling that his steak was slightly overcooked to his taste, could not be faulted. On the Friday Steak Night my thick cut and beautifully prepared (best I've ever had actually) Sirloin was cooked to medium rare perfection and almost melted in the mouth and went great with the hand cut chunky chips and excellent onion rings.My partner and 1 other friend's Battered Cod and Chips also got the thumbs up.Our second night food kept up to the high standard. Breakfast was top quality with freshly cooked local ingredients making it a great start to the day with regular top-ups of tea and coffee and toast from the friendly and cheerful staff.
We would recommend this fine inn to anyone fortunate enough to find themselves in the vicinity and we are sure that the welcome and great service that we recieved from Darren and his team will be appreciated by visitors to the beautiful Wye Valley.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rob_1956s

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel is a fantastic place to stay the staff are so friendly and the locals that come in are true characters the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. I must have stayed in every room during my 10 week stay.absolutely faultless thanks to Darren and all his staff.it's a shame to go home.good luck to one and all ill truly miss your menus.thanks again scott kme

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This Inn continues to improve .The warm welcoming atmosphere with log fire,friendly staff/owner set the scene for a pleasant lunch.The menu offered a varied choice but an offer of Cod & Chips for 2@ £11 was too good to miss.When the food arrived,having been freshly cooked,it was well presented with salad in addition to the mushy peas asked for along with a small pot of Tartare Sauce.We both had a soft drink and followed with Cherry Creme Caramel and Apple Crumble with custard respectively.
Total cost was £22.0.Excellent

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Having visited earlier in the year I was pleased to discover that the Portway has got even better. Had a great meal with my family. Served by incredibly friendly and helpful staff, although clearly new. We all enjoyed our dinner and whilst there was little room for desert we couldn't help ourselves! If I have one gripe it was a fairly meanly portioned goats cheese tart. Surprisingly good wine list too. Would definitely recommend this restaurant! The building is lovely, and the bathrooms we're immaculate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Passed this place many times and it always looked busy. The bar and restaurant is very well furnished and the staff were very helpful. Food was well presented but the quality of food was disgusting. The salad had been tossed in extra virgin oil and the chips had an awful taste (like old fat). When i passed the kitchen to go the toilet the smell was all around the place and the smell of air freshner from the toilets was too over powering. I don't know if i would visit this place again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank presario22
DarrenRawcliffe, Owner at The Portway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal. We do use extra virgin olive oil in our salad dressings but we are, of course, very happy to serve salads without a dressing if customers prefer. regarding the chips we serve, they are hand cut and triple-cooked in oil that is regularly changed. Many customers come back specifically for our chips and there have been no interruptions to their normal quality recently.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is our new local so did not stay overnight. The decor of the bars and restaurant is really well done. Light,well furnished and pleasant modern colours yet retaining a traditional pub atmosphere. The rooms ,I am told are fantastic and I can well believe it.
The bar has a wide range of beers and ciders , the Wye valley bitter was superb.
Only one waitress on when we were there and she also looked after the bar,very efficient and pleasant .
The food menu was fairly limited, too many meat dishes and only one fish dish. The "specials" board had an extra fish dish and a vegetarian one also.
The food was well presented and of good quality but there was something missing. Both my wife and myself came to the same conclusion , you just couldn't describe it as tasty,yummy or delicious it was, sorry to say, just bland . If it had been tasty it would have justified the £12.95 each dish cost. I had Tuna steak and my wife had Stuffed chicken breast both from the specials board.
We will visit again as we live just round the corner and I hope I'll have a better food report to give.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Really great stay good sized family room comfortable beds great food really helpful and friendly staff. Also located in good location to visit local area. Would stay again. Excellent value for money. One of the most enjoyable breakfasts we have had for a long time great local produce.

Room Tip: family room was excellent size number 10