“Should have been better”

Capital Suites - Iqaluit
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Iqaluit
Canada
“Should have been better”
Reviewed 27 July 2008

The Capital Suites is in a pretty good location, somewhat close to the main drag in Iqaluit but not right on it so you aren't listening to cars crunching by on the gravel. The room I stayed in was really nice - I stayed in a suite, with a full kitchen, and it was immaculately clean and quite well furnished. I was more than happy with the room itself, and the folks at the front desk were really helpful.

Really my only complaints are this:

after 11 p.m. there is no one at the front desk, and this is when people get loud in the halls. I stayed up until 1 a.m. listening to loud voices and crashing around in the hallways one evening. No one to call about it. To me, having to drag the pillows over one's ears at this ungodly time because of hallway rowdies is unacceptable. What's the point of complaining the next day?? After spending the late evening like this, one would inevitably want to sleep in the next morning - especially if it is a Sunday. Nope. Housekeeping pounds on the door at 9 a.m., and if you they don't hear you tell them to come back later (if you are if fact awake after the door pounding), then you get the pleasure of having to bellow it out yet again once they're in your room.

So, the hotel itself is great, but these things really take away from its potential.

• Liked — Nice rooms, great location
  • Disliked — Noisy at night and inconsiderate housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Littlebear0023

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto
Reviewed 20 December 2007

This is a little gem in the North. It's exensive, but not relatively. Everything costs about double up there.

We were travelling in a large group. I think we used about a dozen rooms, but they were overbooked and gave 2 people a hard time about getting a room even though we booked 6 months in advance.

The rooms were always clean. The staff were always friendly. There were plenty of bars around and lots of restaurants. Well everything in Iqaluit is within a 5 minutes walk. The town is itty bitty. (Compared to Toronto everything in Canada is small I guess)

I always had enough coffee and soap and clean towels. We were on an extended stay (one month) so they only changed the linnens twice/week to save on water/electricity etc. Thats still more often than I change at home.

My bathtub had a little damage to it, but mostly everything looked brand new. The damage wasn't even worth telling the desk staff. They have full kitchens with dishwashers too!

Food was stupidly expensive. At the restaurant, I remember seeing burgers for $35. At the grocery store, 2L of mik sold for $10. That's not the hotel's fault. Everything has to be flown in or brought in on the shiplift before the water freezes over.

A lot of the staff works on rotation and seemed to have a high turnover rate. I would suggest that a good half of the staff had just arrived a week before we did and had never been in Iqaluit before, so getting directions from them can be difficult.

All in all I think this was one of the better hotels I have stayed in. Although some of my co-workers had problems checking in, my check-in was flawless and easy.

• Liked — Full kitchen with dishwasher
  • Disliked — It was in Iqauit, which meant I was in Iqaluit. Too cold there in November! :) Warm inside though
  • Stayed November 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Lord_jag