“Most beautiful place I've ever stayed with wonderful service & food.”
Review of Horizons West

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ucluelet
Horizons West
Ranked #9 of 30 Ucluelet B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Most beautiful place I've ever stayed with wonderful service & food.”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The moment we arrived and saw the beautiful Horizons West, the stunning views, and were given the sweet welcome from hostess- we knew would would love it.
It is clear that Horizons West is lovingly cared for by the owners, and their pride is evident in how they retain the natural charm of the building and ensure their guests have everything that they need. The deck has such stunning views, we really enjoyed just sitting, relaxing and watching the wildliffe -soaking in all that Vancouver Island has to offer.
The location was perfect for us. We could walk to the town for dinner, or to access any of the activities. And it was really nice not to be on the main street of the town and to have a sense of peace and tranquility.
The hostess makes the most gorgeous breakfasts - my tip is to make sure you don't sleep in. They are the best I have ever had. She is also the sweetest person and was always helpful in advising on the best things to see and do in the area.
I suppose the big compliment we can pay is in saying that we would love to return for a visit and would recommend to anyone who wants a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Culsons Cove where we stayed is very private with own entrance,. It is lovely but perhaps can be a l...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Toronto
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We spent 2 nights in the spacious Eagles Nest suite this past summer. We enjoyed our stay at this comfortable B & B. Jennifer is a wonderful host and will make sure you have a pleasant and relaxing stay.

Horizons West is located on a quiet street only a few minutes drive from the small town centre. The B&B is situated at the back of a sheltered cove that is protected by a couple of small islets.

The B&B is a remodelled\renovated cottage.
The main part of the building is all open concept. Dinning room, kitchen and lounge are all combined. Here you can relax on the sofa, enjoy a cup of coffee, admire the view, browse through the many books or chat with Jennifer in the kitchen or the other guests in the common area while waiting for breakfast. Makes for a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

“Rustic Charm” would best describe the décor and ambiance of this accommodation.
If you are planning a stay in Ucluelet Horizons West will not disappoint.

Room Tip: Eagles Nest & Den are upstairs on main floor with walkout decks. Coulsons Cove is on ground lev...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 19 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at Horizons in the Coulson Cove room in early September. We had a great stay - Horizons is beautifully designed and enjoys a fantastic view. You really feel like you are part of the landscape. We noticed a couple of mediocre reviews of the same room we stayed in and couldnt disagree more. Coulson Cove is spacious, has a great view and makes you feel like you're in a beautiful log cabin. The B & B served as a great spot for us to do some hiking and explore the landscape - including right in front of the home. Jennifer makes a fantastic host and couldnt have been more accommodating. On top of that my wife and I enjoyed our best breakfast of the trip at Horizons. Would highly a recommend a stay and that any negative comments be taken with a grain of salt.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Comox, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Onn our last trip we were treated to a super surprise when not only were the rooms perched over the Pacific Ocean, but there were three seperate decks we could sit on to stare across the big blue pond! Did I mention Jennifer, David and Wendy who look after this B&B and cook the most amazing breakfast!! Need to know about the local secrets and hot spots!! they know it all!!!! just a short walk to the new Ucluelet Aquarium and quaint fishing village... the shopping is amazing and unlike any shopping you would find anywhere!!! little local shops with local art, clothing, and lots more!

Room Tip: All awesome rooms!! huge rooms and so cozy in the wooden log cabin feel!!!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I know jenny will be disappointed but I must agree with everything "StanNorthants" has said. We were unfortunate to arrive moments after some other guests and were relegated to the downstairs room. Jenny was not there that evening. We were shown the sitting room the library and the other two rooms upstairs and they are beautiful as described by other guests. I am sure their reviews are appropriate for these rooms.
We were then led outside and down a damp dark passage to a room underneath. The contrast could not be greater. It was damp dark and dingy and had an untidy overgrown and uneven outside area with only a small glimpse of the sea. The description of Stan below is entirely accurate. This was the worst accommodation we had in Canada during a 3 week trip and we were doubly disappointed because of the good reviews and description given by our travel agent who I believe has since discussed this issue with the owners and local agent in Canada.
We decided to put up with it for the night and spent the evening in town. Next morning we met the host for the first time and told her our feelings, she was clearly upset at what we said and told us nobody else had said anything bad about the room, which in view of the review posted on 21st September-8 days before we arrived is puzzling.
We realised that one of the upstairs rooms would be free the next day and asked to move there to be told that those guests had prebooked that specific room(I wonder why!)
To be fair to Jenny she immediately arranged alternative accommodation for us in some nearby accommodation (The Cabins, Terrace beach-fantastic). We moved and were set up there within 2 hours, so some hassle but problem solved for us.
However jenny you need to sort out that room, its is not fit for purpose.

Room Tip: Important, specify Upstairs room only.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alpacasrus
Northants
Reviewed 21 September 2011

First of all, it has to be said that Jennifer is a lovely warm person and a good hostess. However, we chose bedroom Coulsons Cove to stay in for 4 nights and what a terrible mistake. It was located directly under Eagles Nest and you could hear everything going on above. The entrance to the room was down a dingy damp alleyway lined with shrubs which needed cutting back. There was just a glimpse of the ocean view and the room was so dark it needed bright lights, but instead had dim ones. The bathroom was so small it was difficult to dry oneself off after a shower which which was a very small cubicle. The bed was large and comfortable but the fittings tired and outdated. The bedroom was not absolutely clean. I dropped something which fell under the bed and it couldn't have been cleaned under there for years. Also the rubbish bins in the bathroom and kitchen area were not emptied during our stay. The guest lounge was lovely but our overall impression was that Jennifer needs someone to help with the cleaning and the gardening, which also needed attention. Far from luxurious as stated on the website. One other thing, why no conserves at breakfast?
We had great expectations of Horizons West but it was our most disappointing accomodation on our Canadian tour but with perhaps the best location.

Room Tip: The Den looked far nicer and appeared to have been updated
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank StanNorthants
HorizonsWest, Owner at Horizons West, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Response from Owner:

Thank you for your feedback. We are always striving to improve our guest experience and welcome constructive criticism as well as all of the wonderful comments that guests have taken the time to write.

I would like to respond to this post as I was heartbroken to read that these guests did not enjoy their stay at our home.

Horizons West Bed & Breakfast is a brother and sister team, which has been in operation for almost 9 years now. Over the years we have been so lucky to have met and hosted many wonderful people from all over the world. We have also come to enjoy the many repeat guests that stay with us year after year. Our single most important goal, is to ensure that each and every one of our guests are welcomed into our home, treated like family, and provided a warm, comfortable place to lay their heads after a long day exploring, enjoying and revelling in the magnificent coastline that is the Pacific Rim and the many activities and outdoor adventure that this area of Vancouver Island offers.

I remember these guests very well. I welcomed them into my home warmly and felt an instant connection as they had a great sense of humour. I gave them an abundance of information on what to see and do in the area, many recommendations on great places to eat in town, made dinner reservations, called taxi cabs to ensure a safe ride home as we had seen a cougar in the area!, ensured that I accommodated a medical condition that one of the ladies had for breakfasts and told them to please make themselves at home.

I showed them to their rooms and generally felt that they seemed happy with the house and especially with our open ocean views.

The room that these guests were staying in is on the lower level of our home. The picture on our website looks exactly as it does in person. It is a darker room, with hand split redwood cedar walls, a private entrance, private bath a king sized bed, kitchenette, and a view of Little Beach Bay and the open Pacific Ocean right in front of our home. We live in Canada’s only rainforest. Our home is an older home and rustic in nature, as the entire home is built out of cedar logs. The home was built in the 1970’s by Canadian artists. We are surrounded by Cedar trees over 70 years old, and those who live here know that our greenery grows twice as fast, and is twice as large, as anywhere else in the country. We just love the cabin in the woods feeling that home evokes. We live “on the edge” and the house reflects that.

The walkway down to the room is not a dingy alley as suggested; rather it’s a shortcut under the main set of front door stairs, down to the ground level of the home. There are front porch lights as well as a very large flood light right outside the room which I always suggest to guests to leave on when they leave at night so that they have no problems when they return in the dark. I have taken this comment seriously and have purchased new flood lights to light up the area under the deck which can be dark.

During our busy summer months, our area sees over 1 million visitors. We host a house of 12 people a night and we are very busy. We pride ourselves on making time for our guests and sometimes that comes at a cost of not having as much time to prune, garden and cut back trees on our 1 acre property.

We have started our fall cleanup and will be removing all trees and shrubs that have grown over the summer that could interfere with any walkways, or common areas of the home.
We will be putting in new light fixtures, new furniture and linens, and a brand new window to let in some more natural light. You are always at a disadvantage in terms of light, in lower level rooms on the west coast. Given that we don’t get very much sun to begin with, and in trying to maintain the character of the home (i.e., no drywall) this is a challenge. But we are always up for the challenge!

I cannot apologize for the bathroom size as I have stayed in rooms in very upscale, historic homes throughout Canada and Europe that are much smaller that this one. It has a 6.5 foot shower stall, a small vanity and toilet. The room is 300 square feet.

The linens on the bed are 1200 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, a feather/goose down duvet and the bed it fitted with lots of pillows and blankets for comfort. Because of the down feathers in the duvets, we do notice that the feathers after a couple of nights will collect under the bed. I am so sorry that these guests felt that it was dirty, but can assure all readers that it had certainly not been years since it had been cleaned. It is thoroughly cleaned after each and every stay. I can only hope that the other 47 guest comments will re-iterate the fact that the home is kept very clean.

I take much pride in keeping my home and guest rooms immaculate and cleaning is a top priority for me. In the 9 years in business, I have never had a guest complain about the cleanliness of our home. I am very picky about this aspect. If I had missed something, like the garbage in the bathroom, I would have really appreciated if these guests would have said something to me so that I could rectify this small problem while they were here.

As for the “conserves” at the breakfast table. We have always been noted as serving a beautifully presented, healthy; "good for you" breakfast. We serve soufflés, Scotties nest eggs, french toasts, quiches. It is rare that our breakfast dishes are served with toast as we do not do traditional bacon and egg breakfast.
Again, had these guests just simply asked for jam or jelly, I would have been more than happy to provide that to them. We did however; cater to a diabetic diet with specially bought syrups, yogurts and fresh fruit. In our small town of 1,500 people with limited resources, catering to special diets come at an additional cost to the innkeepers.

During their stay, these guests enjoyed the common lounge; I made a nice fire in the living room for them to relax by and enjoy the view, and remember our talks together fondly. I remember laughing and really enjoying their company. I thought that they were enjoying themselves as well. Upon checkout, I hugged the women goodbye and wished them all the very best on the rest of their Canadian holiday.

You can imagine how heartbroken I was when I read this terrible review.

As innkeepers, we strive to ensure and provide a phenomenal experience, with life long memories that they will remember and cherish for years. I sincerely wish that these guests would have said something to me, while they spent 4 days in my home laughing and chatting, that they were this unhappy. I wish I would have had a chance to rectify any problem they had, while there were actually here. It’s so unfortunate that they felt they needed to write a review here instead of talk to me in person so I at least would have had a chance to make things right for them.

We have just finished a very busy season; we ran a full house from May 1st to October 6th of this year.
I would like to thank you again for your feedback and to let you know that we are working very hard this winter to fix and rectify any problems with light, moisture and sound that this room may have. We also hope that all readers please take the time to read the many wonderful comments that our satisfied guests have made over the years.

We love our job and continue to do the very best to ensure a wonderful experience on Canada’s wild west coast!

Jennifer Nemis
Horizons West B&B.
Brunssum, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed in the cabin which is really spacious and well equipped. The breakfast was really great and despite the lost of power jennifer managed to make a wonderful breakfast. She is so nice and friendly and helped us with all the information we wanted. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011