“Beautiful and Relaxing Hotel on the Ocean”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“Beautiful and Relaxing Hotel on the Ocean”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Stayed at Black Rock for a wedding and it was a beautiful venue for the wedding. The check in service was fast and efficient. Loved the 1 bedroom suite with kitchenette and large floor heated bathroom and comfy bed. Overall, very nice hotel and rooms, however the room lacked "freshness" and had a bit of stale air in the room. I was in other rooms in the hotel and they seemed fresher so maybe it was just my room. The other thing was opening the balcony door was a bit tricky and the instructions on locking/unlocking the door were poorly written. Ate at Fetch for breakfast and the food was great as was the service. However, tried to get a bite to eat at the lounge around 9pm and they had a very limited selection and did not have anything vegetarian and the staff would not even put together a simple salad. I had another friend who is vegetarian who had the same problem. So if you get there late or want to eat late and you are a vegetarian, make sure you bring some food with you. Also one night, the maintenance man was knocking at the room next to ours at 1am and the people in the room was not answering but their dog was barking loudly. It was very loud and disruptive that I went out to see what was happening. Apparently the room below was leaking water from the ceiling so he wanted to look in their room. Finally after knocking for quite a time, they opened their door and said that everyone was sleeping and there was no running water. The maintenance man was apologetic however it was loud and disruptive in the middle of the night. Other than that, I still think Black Rock is a very nice and modern hotel in a very relaxing setting and would recommend others to stay there. Also if you bring your dog, the trails are great and go to Little Beach as it is a small secluded beach and your dog can go swimming there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Port Alberni, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2012

overall a very nice hotel.staff was great and our room was terrific. the fetch restaurant however left a lot to be desired. for barely above average food one is asked to pay a kings ransom!! a $10 cut in the meal price would make fetch worth coming back to.great view good service but not worth it.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Had an absolutely amazing stay at the Blackrock. Everything from the room, to the restaurant to the views and the bathrooms was right on pointe. Had a gorgeous studio suite in one of the farther out buildings from the main building. Felt very secluded and was exactly what we wanted for a relaxing weekend away. The beds were soft and comfy, the food was so tasty and nothing could ever beat the views that we had.
Thank-you so much for a terrific weekend away.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of April/beginning of May. We loved it and will definitely be back - it was the ultimate combination of relaxing by the beach with the luxury of modern living! The bathrooms are amazing, I could have spent the whole time in the soaker tub and standing under the rainfall shower. The rooms were quite clean and housekeeping did a really great job of tidying up and replacing toiletries etc everyday. The only things that bugged me were the carpet didn't get vacuumed at all during our stay which would have been nice since we were staying for so long and the coffee maker and microwave weren't cleaned thoroughly if at all - minor things. Our biggest dissapointment was that the room is really unbearably stuffy and the windows don't have screens (contrary to what it says in a reply to a below post..) so we weren't able to have the windows open at night - it would have been nice to enjoy some fresh air and hear the waves crashing on the rocks as we went to sleep without having to worry about bugs. The other issue we had was that there was no table in the room (we had a studio). This forced us to either eat on the floor or on the bed which we hate doing. A table is definitely needed in here. There was also no type of tv guide or anything so you could never tell what was on when, you just had to channel surf to figure out. Not a big issue, it was just more annoying than anything.

As for the restaurant (Fetch)... I would say its mediocre at best. Lunch was the tastiest meal (go for the chowder!), breakfast was actually kind of gross (we both got bennies) and dinner was ok but not great value for the price. When we stay here again I will probably only go back for lunch... Maybe.

All staff are very friendly and helpful. Rustea in particular was very helpful in giving us ideas for things to do around town and always went out of his way to say hello and make sure we were having a good time.

• Stayed May 2012
Vancouver Island
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Our room was great, clean. Only negative if there was one, people next door were a bit loud but not for too long and were smoking pot on there balcony. Did not mind the smell but others might. Also a microwave in therooms might be a great idea.

Room Tip: Top end corner unit maybe?
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Carwinbruin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for the smoke you experienced from your neighbors. We are a smoke free property and do ask our guests to refrain from smoking anywhere in the property, including the patios.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your Black Rock experience regardless. We hope to have you back in the future,.

Adele
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2012

From the moment I booked my stay at Black Rock they took care of me [and my puppy!] with their online concierge service. When I arrived it was even better. The location is absolutely stellar. My room was absolutely luxurious and so homey yet decadent. I loved the heated slate floors in the bathroom; the floor to ceiling windows in the sitting room and bedroom... and having the windows open at night listening to the waves crash was amazing. The trail heads are all steps away and my dog and I loved running along them in the morning and making our way down to various tide pools to explore. I tried a the Drift Spa as well and a few services and believe me, they do NOT disappoint. Overall, I couldn't recommend this resort or Ucluelet more strongly. The town is quiet and the people friendly are super friendly. This is definitely my new favourite Vancouver Island destination.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear Paulabaker68,

Wow, thank you so much for your incredible review. I am so thrilled you enjoyed your experience and everything Black Rock has to offer.

Thank you... We hope you return soon.

Adele
Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Loved the room and our view was amazing. Very romantic setting. We had a wonderful stay and would go back in a heartbeat.

I would recommend staying in the pacific trail rooms (more privacy) closest to the ocean as possible. Request a room on the top floor for best views and less noise. The cooktop was not very great. Had to cook on high and could not fit 2 frying pans at once. Carpets need to be cleaned better as there was hair (dog and human) in it.

Fetch restaurant was a disappointment not for the food but the staff. The wait staff at dinner was talking very poorly about the town we live in to another table which was highly inappropriate and in fact very insulting to us. We live very close and would never speak of another local area that brings a large amount of tourism to the west coast and surrounding areas. The wait staff at breakfast was unapoligetic as my coffee was forgotten and I did not receive my toast with my breakfast, which when it did come I was done my meal and it was burnt and stone cold!

Spa was great aside from the fact that the rooms are poorly insulated leaving me to listen to the commotions from the area at the front. Hard to relax while having a massage and all you can hear is talking. Did not like how the changeroom was shared with the pool area and gym. No actual changing area in the changeroom just showers and a bathroom. Floors were soaked when I finished my treatments as other visitors and children were using the pool. Towel bin overflowing and all over the floor. Nothing compared to the Grotto Spa.

Small short comings but there is always room for improvement! We ate at a local restaurant one night for dinner with great prices and fresh seafood.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank SpoiledTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich
Canadian Princess Lodge
Canadian Princess Lodge
#11 of 11 in Ucluelet

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!