“Relaxing hotel - even more so if using the spa”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We picked the hotel after debating quite a lot of the accommodation in Ucluelet and Tofio.

We stayed for three nights and wanted somewhere a bit quieter to relax - this place was fantastic for that. We were lucky to get upgraded to a 1-bed suite which had loads of space and a nice view out to the ocean. The furnishings were very modern and great quality (lots of good German kitchen appliances).

We were a bit worried about the service having read some poor reviews. It was ok - though we thought the room cleaning was very odd - after a long day kayaking we got back and only at 4:50pm the maid stopped by to do the room. As we were showering we asked if she could wait 30 mins, but was told service finished at 5pm. We did ask reception a couple of times and they did find someone to clean later on. It would have just been nice if they could have done the room during the day when we were out. Not what we expect at this price point, but hey ho.

The spa was very good! We both had massages and they to a very high standard. I was totally chilled out mine. So would definitely recommend one of the spa packages!

All in all a good stay in very comfortable surroundings with a great spa experience.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just spent two weeks touring Rockies and Vancouver Island, staying in different places every night and this was by far and away the best hotel. We loved the room with a wonderful view across the Pacific, even the bath had a view! I liked the way the hotel was in harmony with the surroundings and the restaurant, although expensive, was positioned high on the rocks looking out across the ocean.

Christine and Charles

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
2  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We did a family (of 3 couples) getaway to this resort. It is a little out of the way without anything in walking distance but there is a restaurant and lounge there as well as a pop machine.
The front staff were very friendly and helpful. The 1 bedroom suite were very large and had a convection microwave that you could cook in, however it isn't all that easy. The kitchen was well equipped with all the needed utensils etc.
The view from our room was of the black rocks and you could hear the ocean- which was great!
The decks were quite large however, they were immediately attached the next room with just a glass 1/2 wall to separate. The door to the patio was a little odd but there are instructions written on them and there is a screen door so you can hear the ocean without being eaten by bugs at night, however the windows in the bedroom do not have screens.
The bathroom was huge (with heated floors) with a large rainshower and a separate very deep tub. There is also a window the looks from the tub into the bedroom and out the large picture window (there are shutters to close this off if you wish).
The place does have rooms that allow pets and they set out a little bed (so if your dog is medium or large they won't fit on it!) and food dishes. I believe they put all the animals in one area of the hotel and we were able to hear dogs barking/howling from the floor above.
There is an area with computers (and free internet) and I believe there was free wi-fi as well. Along with the computers were quite a few lounge chairs and there is a cabinet with family board games as well as books for children.
Although I didn't use the gym it looked decent. There was a small outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs outside as well.
The loung had a very nice large fireplace with views of the ocean. The restaurant also had great views of the ocean and an out door deck. The dinner was very good- I highly recommend the restaurant.
There decorations and artwork are very interesting to look at too.
overall, had a great experience the 2 nights we spent there and I would recommend it!

Room Tip: Only some have ocean view and some are partial, would clarify before you book.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travellingtammi
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed at the Black Rock Oceanfront on a Friday night in late June 2012. I booked through Expedia just a couple weeks before our trip, so the more "economical" (if there are any that could be considered economical) rooms at the Black Rock were booked, meaning that I ended up selecting one of the high-end and therefore expensive rooms. I was actually ok with that, as I knew the location was going to be excellent and I thought that it would be the best night to "splurge" of our four days on the island. We weren't in the most expensive rooms in the hotel, but it was one step down from that.

I really struggled with how to rate the Black Rock. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and the location is top notch. The problem is that if one is going to pay for luxury, the expectation is for flawless or near-flawless accommodations. The room was definitely good, but there were several things that kept it from meeting or exceeding my expectations.

Our room (417, a one-bedroom suite on the top floor in the main hotel, what I would call "partial oceanview") was very clean and extremely well-appointed. The kitchen has a sink, dishwasher, dorm-sized fridge, and a high-end combination convection/microwave that took me a little while to figure out (and I'm "tech savvy").

The living area is also well-appointed, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. There are floor-to-ceiling windows (with nice shades) and a single hinged door that leads onto the balcony. The balcony runs the entire width of the suite, so it's possible to walk out of the living room, onto the balcony, and into the bedroom.

The bathroom was over-the-top. It was gigantic (nearly as big as the bedroom), had floor-to-ceiling dark slate tile, a huge glass-walled shower, and a tub that's on a raised platform.
I was impressed enough to take pictures, which I'll attach.

Even though I showered in the late morning, there was plenty of hot water, so running out of hot water shouldn't be a concern.

The bedroom wasn't especially spacious, but it was very tastefully decorated and also had windows, blinds, and a door onto the balcony, similar to the living area.

The initial impression of each area of the suite is very favorable and definitely imparts a sense of luxury.

As I said earlier, though, when paying for luxury, one has high expectations. There were a few basic issues that kept the room from really living up to the expectations.

For as well-built as the hotel appears to be, I would have expected better sound insulation from the hallway. The bedroom adjoins the exterior balcony, not the interior hallway, yet I was awoken a couple of times by noise in the hallway. I'm not exactly a light sleeper and I was running a fan (kudos to the hotel for providing one in the room) to boot.

My girlfriend and I also both found the bed to be uncomfortably firm.

The trend in luxury hotels appears to be to only partially separate the bathroom from the bedroom. The bathroom in our suite was separated from the bedroom by a frosted privacy window, which was really more of a screen since there's a small gap most of the way around the glass. Noise from the bathroom carries into the bedroom, so it wouldn't be possible to take a shower in the morning or use the provided electric hair dryer without waking someone sleeping in the bedroom.

Despite several tries and what appeared to be straightforward instructions for operation, I wasn't able to make the heated tile floor in the bathroom work. I also couldn't successfully get both the overhead "rain" showerhead and the standard directed head to work at the same time. At this point I probably sound like your grandfather complaining about technology today, but I assure you I'm relatively young and well-traveled. The hotel does recognize that some of the modern accoutrements can confuse guests, as they provide instructions on how to drain the tub; they should probably provide instructions for the shower too.

My girlfriend liked the tub, but we were both surprised that it was just a standard tub and not a jacuzzi or jet tub.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there's very little that divides the balcony from adjacent rooms, which I also found off-putting.

The view from our room was partially obstructed by trees. I wasn't bothered by that, but it does go to show that even in a higher-end room, you're not necessarily guaranteed a full oceanview.

The hotel's location is fantastic and I really liked that the hotel is basically right on one of the loops for the Wild Pacific Trail (though the Lighthouse Loop, which it's not connected to, is better).

We didn't try the spa, but we did visit the restaurant (twice, loved it, separate review eventually) and the lounge. All of the wait-staff were friendly and professional. The food at the restaurant was fantastic, and the drinks and comfortable atmosphere in the lounge were a wonderful way to wind down after a day of hiking and sightseeing. I'm actually surprised to see other reviewers comment that they felt the restaurant was expensive. It certainly wasn't cheap, but unlike the room, I felt the restaurant was worth every penny.

I would have no qualms about going back to the Black Rock or recommending it to any of my friends. I hope to have a chance to visit the area again soon, and when I do I'll check for availability at the Black Rock first. I wouldn't, however, pay to upgrade to one of their higher-end rooms. They're certainly very good, but at the price I wasn't really wowed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our special Canadian holiday to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. The hotel is lovely and our room was well appointed with a very comfy bed and luxurious bathroom. My only very small complaint was that the balcony wasn't in any way private. As it happened, whenever we sat out on our balcony our neighbours weren't on theirs, so it didn't really matter. We are not anti-social, but sometimes you just appreciate a bit of privacy! There is a beautiful beach called Tonquin near Tofino, which is reached by walking through rainforest. This is worth visiting if you stay at Black Rock.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a better view of the ocean than others, so ensure the room you book will have the vi...
1  Thank Joan N
Reviewed 29 July 2012

After reading many positive reviews here, my husband and I stayed in Studio Wild Pacific Trail from 7/23-7/26. For the cost of over $300 per night after tax, we were disappointed. The studio is in one of many fourplex units sitting next to the main parking lot, not in a wooded lot as I expected. There is a row of units in front of our window so our ocean view is partially blocked. We were the only guests in this unit and that's a plus because we don't have to share stairs or hear noises from next door or downstairs. However, several utility trucks parked near us and I saw several workers in and out the unit next to us. Through a brief chatting, it confirmed my suspicion that they stayed here either with a freebie or with big discount for filling the vacancies. That made us feel like staying in a 2nd-rated motel instead of a luxury resort.

The size of the room is good and the bathroom is very large. However, the room was not prepped ready when we got in. There were dusts on the counter and the refrigerator was shut down. The housekeeping was sporadic during our stay. The maid just came in to fix the bed sheets and towels and no cleaning or vacuum.

The hotel lobby is pretty nice and maybe if we stayed in one of the few premium suites in the main lodge, we would have a better experience. But for the suite we stayed, we don't think it's worthy and will not stay again.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

A fantastic hotel on the wild pacific. The rooms are similar to CenterParcs - fridge, cooker, a couple of TVs but the views are somewhat better!

Ucluelet is a lovely little town - good restaurants, trips, etc.

My only complaint, we only stayed 2 nights. I recommend a minimum stay of 3.

The restaurant was very expensive but good quality, probably only go once then head off into town.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be ocean facing but request one just in case
1  Thank Nigel H
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Nigel H,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We appreciate your comments and your business. When you next come to Canada for a visit, we hope you stay with us again and enjoy even more of what Ucluelet has to offer.

Thank you and all the best...

Adele Larkin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
#7 of 11 in Ucluelet
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!