“A Truly West Coast Resort”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nanaimo
“A Truly West Coast Resort”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have stayed here twice now. Once in January 2011 for my friend's wedding and again in January 2012. Both times I absolutely loved my stay.

We had the Studio Suite both times on the 2nd and 3rd floors facing the little cove that the resort is on.

The resort is amazing. The decor is perfect for the surroundings and is mirroring the environment right outside your window (which is what they were intending I am sure!). Soft greens and slate greys throughout. The lobby has to be my favourite room in the resort. Simply breathtaking. And when we were there for the wedding it served as a unique and wonderful spot for photos.

As you enter the Studio Suite there is a large closet with plenty of room to hang everything. When I was there for the wedding it was perfect for my dresses etc. There is an in room safe(if I remember correctly) that is in the same closet.

The bathroom is huge. Something that I quite enjoyed was the heated tile floors in the bathroom. Such a nice touch. There is a single sink with a make up mirror that lights up as well as a large mirror behind the sink. The shower is quite large with a rain shower head and a normal shower head. The bathtub is very deep (and does fit two) if you want to soak. Very relaxing if you open the sliding glass doors and watch the fire and listen to the ocean as you do.

The kitchenette is equipped with a microwave, bar fridge, sink, dishes, glasses and utensils for two. There are also cleaning supplies for the kitchenette items.

The king sized bed is quite comfortable and is placed (in our room anyways) beneath the flat screen tv and the fire place. There is a cute seating area just before the balcony. The balcony has seating for two with a small table.

We ate both in the lounge and the restaurant. We preferred the lounge for several reasons. Cheaper, more comfortable and food selection. We did have a wonderful breakfast and supper in the restaurant though. We did find that lunch was ok, but not amazing. If you are planning on using the kitchenette or eating at the local restaurants, I highly recommend the CO-OP grocery store deli. It is very tasty and we bought several items to put in the fridge to eat later. We also got Chinese take out which was quite good as well.

I also went to the lovely spa on site for a pedicure. I thoroughly enjoyed it and you have a view of the pool area/bay that the resort sits on.

We did use the hot tub the first year we were there and it was quite nice to soak and listen to the waves crash in.

The staff were friendly and helpful and answered any questions we had.

A few postive experiences we had while here for the wedding:

The staff were wonderful. Just amazing.

We had the Wine Cellar for the venue for the reception. The food was excellent and they had a lovely cake made and displayed for the evening.

The bride and groom had booked a large corner suite for themselves for the weekend and we had gone back there to enjoy the after dinner festivities. The staff instead of shutting us down moved us to an empty suite in a separate building (moved all of our stuff over for us!) and let us party there for the night free of charge. We of course tidied it up before we left, but we couldn't have been more pleased with how they handled everything.

I highly recommend this resort and can't wait until we stay again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skatchie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Our start at the Black Rock was actually fantastic as we were upgraded to a 1-Bedroom Suite. The suite was really great with lots of space; a great lounge with open plan kitchen, very nice bedroom and a cool bathroom with separate shower and bath. The partial ocean view was also magnificent.

When we got there the people at reception were friendly and helped us with any questions.

We also had a 60 minute deep tissue massage here which was very good. I can only recommend it.

The location of the hotel is also fantastic, directly at the start of the Wild Pacific Trail.

However, there is still room for improvement.
- We were told to book ahead if we wanted to use the Spa. But when we did so we had to chase the confirmation of our Spa booking. And then we only got it after about a week.
- Our suite was on both days made up at 6pm (even though we were out the whole day). At 6pm I want to enjoy my room and don't be disturbed by house keeping. And if I don't need house keeping I can book a cheaper B&B.
- When the rooms were made up you could certainly tell that they were close to the end of their day and we only got the quick service. For instance the bath tube (which was clearly dirty) was not cleaned.
- If you need blackout blinds to sleep in the morning this might not be a hotel for you. The blinds in this hotel are only a thin mesh which do not keep much light out in the morning.

Minor details:
- It would have been great if the light, particularly in the bathroom could have been a bit brighter.
- We had quite a bit of fog during our stay and the fog horn was going all night (not too loud, but still). It would have been nice if the hotel would provide ear plugs for these cases.
- This might sound very trivial, but there were only light switches at the suite entrance for the lounge and kitchen. That meant every time you went from the bedroom into a dark lounge (or when you wanted to switch the light out in the lounge) you had to tap through a dark lounge/kitchen. That's quite a design error if you ask me.

So, all in all this is a very nice location and hotel. But for that price I would have expected more.

Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We picked the hotel after debating quite a lot of the accommodation in Ucluelet and Tofio.

We stayed for three nights and wanted somewhere a bit quieter to relax - this place was fantastic for that. We were lucky to get upgraded to a 1-bed suite which had loads of space and a nice view out to the ocean. The furnishings were very modern and great quality (lots of good German kitchen appliances).

We were a bit worried about the service having read some poor reviews. It was ok - though we thought the room cleaning was very odd - after a long day kayaking we got back and only at 4:50pm the maid stopped by to do the room. As we were showering we asked if she could wait 30 mins, but was told service finished at 5pm. We did ask reception a couple of times and they did find someone to clean later on. It would have just been nice if they could have done the room during the day when we were out. Not what we expect at this price point, but hey ho.

The spa was very good! We both had massages and they to a very high standard. I was totally chilled out mine. So would definitely recommend one of the spa packages!

All in all a good stay in very comfortable surroundings with a great spa experience.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just spent two weeks touring Rockies and Vancouver Island, staying in different places every night and this was by far and away the best hotel. We loved the room with a wonderful view across the Pacific, even the bath had a view! I liked the way the hotel was in harmony with the surroundings and the restaurant, although expensive, was positioned high on the rocks looking out across the ocean.

Christine and Charles

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
2 Thank Christine C
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We did a family (of 3 couples) getaway to this resort. It is a little out of the way without anything in walking distance but there is a restaurant and lounge there as well as a pop machine.
The front staff were very friendly and helpful. The 1 bedroom suite were very large and had a convection microwave that you could cook in, however it isn't all that easy. The kitchen was well equipped with all the needed utensils etc.
The view from our room was of the black rocks and you could hear the ocean- which was great!
The decks were quite large however, they were immediately attached the next room with just a glass 1/2 wall to separate. The door to the patio was a little odd but there are instructions written on them and there is a screen door so you can hear the ocean without being eaten by bugs at night, however the windows in the bedroom do not have screens.
The bathroom was huge (with heated floors) with a large rainshower and a separate very deep tub. There is also a window the looks from the tub into the bedroom and out the large picture window (there are shutters to close this off if you wish).
The place does have rooms that allow pets and they set out a little bed (so if your dog is medium or large they won't fit on it!) and food dishes. I believe they put all the animals in one area of the hotel and we were able to hear dogs barking/howling from the floor above.
There is an area with computers (and free internet) and I believe there was free wi-fi as well. Along with the computers were quite a few lounge chairs and there is a cabinet with family board games as well as books for children.
Although I didn't use the gym it looked decent. There was a small outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs outside as well.
The loung had a very nice large fireplace with views of the ocean. The restaurant also had great views of the ocean and an out door deck. The dinner was very good- I highly recommend the restaurant.
There decorations and artwork are very interesting to look at too.
overall, had a great experience the 2 nights we spent there and I would recommend it!

Room Tip: Only some have ocean view and some are partial, would clarify before you book.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travellingtammi
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed at the Black Rock Oceanfront on a Friday night in late June 2012. I booked through Expedia just a couple weeks before our trip, so the more "economical" (if there are any that could be considered economical) rooms at the Black Rock were booked, meaning that I ended up selecting one of the high-end and therefore expensive rooms. I was actually ok with that, as I knew the location was going to be excellent and I thought that it would be the best night to "splurge" of our four days on the island. We weren't in the most expensive rooms in the hotel, but it was one step down from that.

I really struggled with how to rate the Black Rock. Overall, we really enjoyed the hotel, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and the location is top notch. The problem is that if one is going to pay for luxury, the expectation is for flawless or near-flawless accommodations. The room was definitely good, but there were several things that kept it from meeting or exceeding my expectations.

Our room (417, a one-bedroom suite on the top floor in the main hotel, what I would call "partial oceanview") was very clean and extremely well-appointed. The kitchen has a sink, dishwasher, dorm-sized fridge, and a high-end combination convection/microwave that took me a little while to figure out (and I'm "tech savvy").

The living area is also well-appointed, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. There are floor-to-ceiling windows (with nice shades) and a single hinged door that leads onto the balcony. The balcony runs the entire width of the suite, so it's possible to walk out of the living room, onto the balcony, and into the bedroom.

The bathroom was over-the-top. It was gigantic (nearly as big as the bedroom), had floor-to-ceiling dark slate tile, a huge glass-walled shower, and a tub that's on a raised platform.
I was impressed enough to take pictures, which I'll attach.

Even though I showered in the late morning, there was plenty of hot water, so running out of hot water shouldn't be a concern.

The bedroom wasn't especially spacious, but it was very tastefully decorated and also had windows, blinds, and a door onto the balcony, similar to the living area.

The initial impression of each area of the suite is very favorable and definitely imparts a sense of luxury.

As I said earlier, though, when paying for luxury, one has high expectations. There were a few basic issues that kept the room from really living up to the expectations.

For as well-built as the hotel appears to be, I would have expected better sound insulation from the hallway. The bedroom adjoins the exterior balcony, not the interior hallway, yet I was awoken a couple of times by noise in the hallway. I'm not exactly a light sleeper and I was running a fan (kudos to the hotel for providing one in the room) to boot.

My girlfriend and I also both found the bed to be uncomfortably firm.

The trend in luxury hotels appears to be to only partially separate the bathroom from the bedroom. The bathroom in our suite was separated from the bedroom by a frosted privacy window, which was really more of a screen since there's a small gap most of the way around the glass. Noise from the bathroom carries into the bedroom, so it wouldn't be possible to take a shower in the morning or use the provided electric hair dryer without waking someone sleeping in the bedroom.

Despite several tries and what appeared to be straightforward instructions for operation, I wasn't able to make the heated tile floor in the bathroom work. I also couldn't successfully get both the overhead "rain" showerhead and the standard directed head to work at the same time. At this point I probably sound like your grandfather complaining about technology today, but I assure you I'm relatively young and well-traveled. The hotel does recognize that some of the modern accoutrements can confuse guests, as they provide instructions on how to drain the tub; they should probably provide instructions for the shower too.

My girlfriend liked the tub, but we were both surprised that it was just a standard tub and not a jacuzzi or jet tub.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there's very little that divides the balcony from adjacent rooms, which I also found off-putting.

The view from our room was partially obstructed by trees. I wasn't bothered by that, but it does go to show that even in a higher-end room, you're not necessarily guaranteed a full oceanview.

The hotel's location is fantastic and I really liked that the hotel is basically right on one of the loops for the Wild Pacific Trail (though the Lighthouse Loop, which it's not connected to, is better).

We didn't try the spa, but we did visit the restaurant (twice, loved it, separate review eventually) and the lounge. All of the wait-staff were friendly and professional. The food at the restaurant was fantastic, and the drinks and comfortable atmosphere in the lounge were a wonderful way to wind down after a day of hiking and sightseeing. I'm actually surprised to see other reviewers comment that they felt the restaurant was expensive. It certainly wasn't cheap, but unlike the room, I felt the restaurant was worth every penny.

I would have no qualms about going back to the Black Rock or recommending it to any of my friends. I hope to have a chance to visit the area again soon, and when I do I'll check for availability at the Black Rock first. I wouldn't, however, pay to upgrade to one of their higher-end rooms. They're certainly very good, but at the price I wasn't really wowed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim M
Gainsborough
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our special Canadian holiday to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. The hotel is lovely and our room was well appointed with a very comfy bed and luxurious bathroom. My only very small complaint was that the balcony wasn't in any way private. As it happened, whenever we sat out on our balcony our neighbours weren't on theirs, so it didn't really matter. We are not anti-social, but sometimes you just appreciate a bit of privacy! There is a beautiful beach called Tonquin near Tofino, which is reached by walking through rainforest. This is worth visiting if you stay at Black Rock.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a better view of the ocean than others, so ensure the room you book will have the vi...
1 Thank Joan N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!