“GORGEOUS!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“GORGEOUS!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Wow. Probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. The hotel is gorgeous with every amenity you need including heated floors in the bathroom! I can't recall another hotel having that kind of luxury! The rooms are spacious, modern and very comfortable. The view, cannot be beaten. Just a sweet, sweet place to stay while travelling in the rugged coast. Rustee was very helpful in steering us to all the right restaurants on our way toward Victoria as well - just a good guy and someone who obviously loves his job.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - it's unbelievable.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The Groupon seemed too good to pass up, but after reading the reviews hear I had doubts about my purchase. This was also the first time I had bought a Groupon Getaway. Fortunately, our trip was wonderful and I can’t wait to return to the Tofino/Ucluelet area.

Our experience at the Black Rock was excellent, we had no problems checking in with our Groupon or redeeming the other included items (bottle of wine & $50 restaurant voucher). We even got a room with an ocean and forest view. And we had no complaints about the general state of the room. Though I do question the need for window from the bathroom to the bedroom - the bedroom had no view.

The food at Fetch was good, but their setting is the real show stopper. If I had to do it again, I would have gone for lunch to enjoy the dramatic and wild ocean view from a warm and comfortable table. We visited in March and it was already getting dark by the time we arrived for dinner.

During our stay, we found our way out to ‘the trail,’ which involved heading towards the gravel parking lot and heading left by the hotel’s service area (i.e. near the dumpsters) – this might be something the hotel should re-plan. Along the trail, with our hair flying in the wind, we enjoyed the rugged coast from numerous vantage points.

Would I stay at the Black Rock again? Probably, but as the area seems to have a lot of excellent accommodations, I would shop around first.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 1 September 2012

On a recent trip to beautiful British Columbia to combine a family vacation with our tenth wedding anniversary, my husband, preschool-age son and I booked one night at Black Rock. We stayed there the night before our actual anniversary. This was actually a last-minute booking, since our plans kept fluctuating, and I had been pleased to find out that Black Rock does not require multiple-night bookings during high season, in contrast to most of the high-end resorts in Tofino.

This is a tough review to write, because I really, really want to say this place is excellent and worth a rating of "5". Yet, I truthfully cannot rate it a "5" because my experience there did not justify it. It's still a "4", and I will try to explain below why I had to drop it down one notch.

Note that our expectations were very high due to this property having received many favourable reviews on this website, so the points below may seem picky, but ultimately, our very high expectations were not quite met.

Check-in:

We arrived at the property at around 2:45 pm and were told that our room was not yet ready, since it was not yet the guaranteed check-in time of 4:00 pm. The front desk clerk offered to take my cell phone number to call me if the room was ready prior to 4:00 pm. I gave it to her, and we killed time by going to a nearby playground to let my son burn off some energy after a day of sitting in the car. We drove back to the property at 4:00 pm. Once again, we were told the room was not yet ready. The front desk clerk gave us complimentary drink vouchers. I told her I needed 3, one each for my husband and me and one for my son, who was running around behind me in the lobby. She filled in the vouchers and then said we could redeem them in the lounge. I already knew the lounge was off-limits to children, and when I pointed this out, she said the vouchers could also be redeemed in the restaurant.

As soon as we finished this exchange, our room became ready, so we never ended up using the vouchers, but it was not a favourable first impression.

Also, check-out time the next day was 11:00 am. So in the end, we felt we barely had a chance to use our room.

Room:

We stayed for one night in a Wild Pacific Trail Studio. The room itself is quite nice. It has a king bed plus a pull-out sofa bed, as well as a large flat-screen TV, fireplace and small kitchen. There is also a small balcony with a table and two chairs. We could see the ocean through the trees, but since the resort is actually on a bay, there is no ocean swell to listen to. The bathroom is large, with a big soaker tub and a huge rain shower. Both the tub and the shower also have hand-held showers, which helped when we bathed our son. There were not enough racks to hang the towels.

Although the feel of the place is modern luxury, upon closer inspection, it seems the finishes had been put in place hastily. So the frosted glass partition separating the bathroom from the sleeping area had been hung crookedly, tiling in the kitchen had been cut incorrectly so that there was a gap in the wall around an electrical outlet plate, and when one walked in the front door, the first thing one saw was the electrical panel. In sum, the overall feel was somewhat marred by what appeared to be slap-dash workmanship. This is unfortunate, as it gives the feeling of a lesser-quality place.

Note that studio suites do not have in-suite laundry facilities. I had actually called the resort the day before to inquire about this, so I knew not to expect a washer/dryer. However, the young lady to whom I spoke did check my reservation to confirm that the room was a studio, and then told me not to worry, since the resort has a laundry service. She explained that I could have the laundry picked up, and it would be delivered back to me later. I was in dire need of clean clothes for my young son, so as soon as we had unpacked in our room, I called and asked for the laundry service. It was then that I was told we could not use it, since the laundry is picked up at 10:00 am and delivered back at the end of the day. OK, so I do understand that this makes sense, but it's another instance of expectations being set, and then not met. (The staff member who told me about the laundry service did have to check my reservation, as stated, to answer my question, and probably should have noticed I was only there for one night.) I ended up using the laundromat in town.

Food:

We had breakfast at Fetch restaurant the morning of our anniversary. The service was slow and the food was OK, but certainly not anything to write home about.

Overall:

In sum, Black Rock seems to try really hard to be a 5-star resort, and the staff are enthusiastic and friendly, but the overall impression it leaves is that it is a wannabe which has not quite nailed 5-star status yet. I realize that it may not be fair to compare it to truly established 5-star places (such as the Wickaninnish, where we have also stayed), but for the prices we paid for the room and the food, we would have expected a bit more polish.

Don't get me wrong, the place is quite nice, but as stated at the beginning of this review, we had very high expectations, and it seems that this place did not quite measure up.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Black Rock August 25-28 in building 24 in a one bedroom suite. Room wasnt as clean as you would expect for $445 per night. On the second day the maid didn't show up until 5pm when I was already back in the room and the next day they came through but left a couple of towels on the floor. My last morning I woke up to a bunch of bugs crawling around my bathtub and on the towels that were hung on it. There was also ant traps in my room.
The food in the restaurant was great, the wait staff was top notch and you can't beat the location but I was disappointed with the cleanliness for the room rate. Probably try somewhere else next time.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear JeffM,

Thank you so much for your reveiw. I was surprised by your comments. I am sure it goes without saying in reading the other reviews that we pride ourselves on providing clean, well appointed and comfortable suites for our guests. I can not explain the flies in your suite, this is not something we have experienced before. I do hope that you informed us immediately of this situation so we would be able to rectify the problem immediately. All of our suites are inspected prior to arrival, I am not sure how something like this could be missed.

Thank you for chosing us for your stay and please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you experienced.

Regards,

Adele Larkin, General Manager
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We booked this place originally for a wedding and of course only thought of the price. We thought it was expensive. But by the time we got to the room I said " you can't blame them for the price, its totally worth it"

Beautiful rooms with full tubs that look through these windows to the tv in the living room's. Full walk in stone shower. Heated tiles in the bathrooms.

Our suite had a great little kitchen that you could definitely cook some breki or lunch in.

The bed was ridiculous I could have slept forever except for the fact that I had to set my alarm so I got up and used the tub !!

We didn't have much of a view from our room but looking out a green tree's was just fine with me. Felt like I was in the forrest. Very west coast.

The food here was really great. We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning sitting by the glass looking out at the sea and rocks. Pretty sweet setting.

Also I thought the staff was really professional too. So polite.

Anyway's I would come back for sure.

Cheers.

Room Tip: There is a dancing hall type spot for weddings. Make sure you don't book on top of this part of...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four days this summer. It is an excellent resort. We had an oceanfront room with king bed and mini-kitchen. The room was awesome - so stylish with great quality fixtures and quality. It was a designer apartment!.

We had dinner every night in the Fetch restaurant - great food and excellent attention. There was anew set menu each night. Good wine list with an awesome selection of Rieslings. After a day of hiking on the nearby trails or kayaking, we enjoyed the spa each night. Wonderful way to round out the day.

Highly recommend and we will definitely go again.

Room Tip: My only suggestion is that if you are looking for quiet during the day, request a room away from the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Everything about the Resort, the rooms, the surroundings are beautiful, however I would not recommend Fetch. First stay not impressed with the food, service, quality or selection; second time same thing. Find one of the local "hole in the wall" establishments instead.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!