“Beautiful views, large room, very friendly staff ”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in a one bedroom suite. We were on the top floor of the main building and had a beautiful ocean view from our room. The kitchen was pretty good sized and reasonably equipped to make simple meals. The bathroom was gorgeous, huge tub, rain shower head (although ours was a little temperamental) and heated floors. Checkin staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was just ok, and there isn't too much else walking distance away. The spa was really nice, great staff, beautiful setting and great local island products. I would stay here again, but would plan to eat elsewhere, or make my own food.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We went in February and had a great trip, our first one away from our baby. It was a great choice – nice soaker tub, great hot tubs, excellent rooms. In fact, the photos on the site are probably the most accurate representation of a hotel room I've ever seen. We walked in and it was exactly as expected.

Some tips:
- BC Ferries offers a travel package that includes your ferry price, which is not insignificant. Look into it if you're thinking of going.
- Try to get an ocean facing room. That's the whole point, and our view was spectacular even in a small studio room.
- If you want to relax with a nice drink bring something of your own (see below)
- If you have a soaker tub at home you may not think the bathroom is as great as we did, but it was still pretty awesome to watch the Olympics while sitting in a bathtub.

There's lots of reviews on here that tell you what's nice about the place so I'm going to focus on the few things we weren't so happy with. That may seem strange, but I don't want to re-write what you've already read, and these are the things that stuck in our minds and can give you some balance. Rest assured, there was lots we liked about the place.

So what caused it to come up short of excellent? Three things:

1. The service in the eating establishments came up sorely lacking. We went once each to the lounge and restaurant, and both times needed to track down our server to get our drinks after waiting over 20 minutes. In neither instance was the place busy, it was simply someone dropping the ball. Enjoying a drink during your vacation, either while waiting for dinner or simply relaxing, is for us a part of chilling out and having a good time. The fact that we didn't get that on either of our nights left a bad taste in our mouth. On top of that the pasta I got for dinner was lukewarm at best, so that could have been better.

2. The second issue was that on our last day there was no hot water. Having a shower before the long drive back to the ferry would have been nice, and that's something the hotel should have been able to provide.

3. The guest workout space/hot tub area shares a locker with the spa, and as a result there's nowhere for guests to put their stuff when they get changed for the hot tub (the lockers are for spa guests). If I'm going out to the hot tub I want to know that my stuff is safe, and I don't want to have to walk through the hotel lobby in a bathrobe in order to make that happen.

Overall it was a really nice place. We enjoyed ourselves, but if we go back we'll likely stick to having a glass of wine on the patio! Hope that helps.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room. It's worth it.
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently booked a 3 night stay for my Husband and Myself. The room was beautifully appointed with a magnificent view. The Bathroom was lovely with a separate tub from a very large walk in shower. The window of the bathroom opened so that you could look through the living room to the ocean. It was also great having a mini kitchen so that you could bring your own food to heat and refirdgerate.

The only downside of the room was the beds and pillows were overly firm and I would have a stiff neck every morning. Perhaps options of pillows could be offered ie medium to firm,

The gym was great and I used it everyday. Exactly what I needed to get in a good workout everyday, Elliptical, bikes, treadmill, weights etc.

The Restaurant has a spectacular view and the food was wonderful. The downside...The service was very poor from our server. We were not asked once if we would like another beverage. We were not asked how our miles were. We had to ask for a dessert menu. I specifically wanted to eat in the restaurant as it was my husbands 50th so I was hoping with the setting and the ambiance it would have been a superb evening. Not so much, the lack of attention from our server actually took away from the overall good feeling of our experience.
We were not even told thank you or even had a closing comment from the server as we departed.

Even though the restaurant service was substandard, this is solely due to the server and not in anyway reflective of the quality of the food..

Overall, we had a wonderful time and it was great beachcombing and hiking etc. We would return

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great place and would definitely stay again!

As we were two couples, we got a two-bedroom suite with guaranteed ocean view with full kitchen. We stayed three nights.

Each bedroom had a king bed and full bathroom and they shared a common living room & full kitchen area. Both bedrooms and the living room had fantastic views right out onto the ocean.

Rooms were great, nice beds, showers, and spa bathtubs in each of the two bathrooms.
Kitchen area was good with everything you need to cook for yourself; one night we bought four live crabs and boiled them up and had them with melted butter, yum! (On request the staff provided us with a large deep pot for crab boiling).

Our suite was also very quiet and relaxing. The only thing I could hear was the sound of the surf.

Both the lounge and the restaurant were good with good cocktails and excellent food. Both places also had excellent views of the ocean.

They have two outdoor hot tubs and pool which were very nice. Didn’t use the pool we were there in winter but used the hot tubs several times. They were piping hot and just what was needed to soak out the winter chills.

Couple of negatives:

We went out early the first morning and left the sign on the door to make up our suite. When we came back at the end of the day this had not been done. The second day I called them and asked them to take out the garbage because we had cooked up a bunch of crab and you don’t that hanging around for long! When we got back later in the day they had taken out the garbage but that was it, again they had not cleaned up the suite. The third day we ran out of coffee so I got some more from the front desk rather than bothering to ask them to come to the suite.

Why would they have a door hanger sign if they’re not going to clean the suite when we ask/hang out the sign? I was a little annoyed by this. I realize that some places operate more as a “vacation rental” and clean ups only happen every few days, however if this is the case this should be clearly communicated to the guests so they know the level of service to expect. I was under the expectation that they would take out the garbage, make the beds, and replenish the coffee every day.

Other than that I had a great time, the hosts at the front desk were friendly and welcoming. They told us about times that whales had been sighted and provided us with maps and directions to places we wanted to go visit.

All in all a good place to stay. Take a look at my photo taken from the front balcony of my room! Great views of the ocean!

Room Tip: Get a guaranteed ocean view room. That's why you're here, to see the surf crashing on the r...
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for Jan.27 and 28, while we were visiting ucluelet area for winter waving watching and wild pacific trail. Both my wife and I think that this is the best hotel we ever stayed in throughout the world. We are especially thankful to the warm hearted girl at the reception (sorry I forgot your name again, is that julian?) when I broke our SLR camera and was desparate to find a camera repair shop since we need to take a lot of picutures the next day. Instead of just giving us the numbers, she actually picked up the phone and called several stores close by. Her help gave us a lot of warmth during that rainy night and became a memorable experience during our trip to Canada. Another girl at the reception later on provided us with tape and scissors to temporarily fix our camera.

The room was very modern and clean, and it even has a firewplace in it. At first I thought the fire place was just decorative, but when I pushed down a button on the wall, it magically lit up! The view is impeccable and the next morning we woke up, although it was not a sunny day, my wife and I were both astonished by the beautiful morning view of the pacific ocean.

Thanks

The float lounge is excellent and the food there was delicious and price was about right. My wife liked their food so much that she actually sent me downstairs for take-out two dinners in a row!.

Thanks Black Rock staff, we are already planning our stay this summer!

1  Thank Samuel C
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here in early January with my wife and our dogs. Advertised as pet friendly and they were very helpful in that regard. There were MANY "little things" that contributed to a less than stellar time. There were NO garbage cans in any public area to dispose of dog waste. We reserved a "cabin" and on arrival found that it was one room in a 4-plex. Disappointed. The staff never did clean our room (stayed 2 nights) pool closed early and the restaurant menu was small and half the items unavailable. What they served was very good, but extremely limited selection and high price. Patio door did not lock, but once closed had to be body checked to get it open again. Quite disappointing especially considering the bill was $800.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank averagejoe538
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Great retreat all year round! In winter it is a quiet relaxing place to unwind!

We stayed 3 nights here as part of our honeymoon! The staff were very welcoming to us - and looked after us well :)

The view was amazing! The shower was incredible and the bath very relaxing! Probably the most lovely bathroom we saw on our honeymoon! Very clean and looked after hotel! We had a room with dishwasher, grill, stove top...etc. which made it very convenient to make our own breakfasts or meals.

The lounge in the evening is a great place for cheaper food than the big fancy restaurant. Lovely chilled atmosphere. Nice selection of drinks :)

I can't wait to come back again! Hopefully next time we will stay for longer! :)

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sarah_the_tourist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!