“A favourite”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My only complaint was that they kicked us out of the hot tub at 9 pm while the sun was still shining.
Everything else is really awesome here, we go here about 4 times a year and anytime is a good time.
This hotel would win some extra guest appreciation points if they would accommodate better pool/hot tub hours, after a long day of activities it is a must to relax in this tub with that view!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank leiffer
There are newer reviews for Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Beautiful place to relax and enjoy the wonderful things Ucluelet has to offer. We especially enjoyed the hiking trails right outside of the hotel. A stroll by the ocean works up an appetite so you can enjoy the excellent food.

2  Thank Lyndy20
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip.
I stayed in a room with a kitchenette and it was quiet, clean, spacious and had a great view.
Loved the big shower in the bathroom.
Overall it was just an excellent hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DS8948
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked for 3 nights and very much enjoyed my time. The island is an amazing place and this place is the perfect accommodation to call home for a while for anyone visiting it.

I had room 210 overlooking the pool and which came with a good view of the ocean front.
The room was modernly furnished though had an oddly placed fireplace as it was stuck in the corner facing an adjacent wall but did not concern me as I didn't have need of it but aesthetically was a bit odd. The tv was also above the fireplace and was in the same predicament but was on a swivel system so it could face the bed but I had no need or time for TV in a place like this.

The kitchenette was perfectly sized with all the appropriate accommodations. The washroom was terrifically sized with a soaker tub and a rainfall shower with modern finishing.

The bed was perfect, excellently placed by the view of the oceanfront with screen and shade system that let in the fresh air and settled the room to a perfect temperature.(there is no air conditioning in the room but there was a fan available in the closet) I had some of the most comfortable sleeps I had in a while with the sounds of the waves right outside of the window and some local wildlife at night.

The restaurant and lounge are definitely worth checking out. I frequented both throughout my stay and was happy with both the service and quality of the food. But best go explore some of the other local establishments while you're there.

I would definitely visit again though would opt for a larger room(Maybe a trail room as they looked nicely situated), there was a few minor nit picks but the location and the views were really the main selling points of this stay for myself and I very much enjoyed my visit.

- My only real complaint/concern is that the room cleaning may not be done a rigorously as I would've expected as there was bits of plastic wrapper found on the floor of the washroom and what appeared to be soap bits. And unrelated to my stay I overheard another guest had found that the previous guest to their room had forgotten their passport in the washroom which made me ponder how the staff had overlooked that if it had been cleaned properly? Aside from this the cleaning as to what I could tell was good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

this place rules in every way, if you haven't stayed here before, then you should, service is impeccable, the setting is out of this world, the amenities are all about you feeling comfy and pampered and the food is divine, what are you waiting for? Goooooo! :)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here recently for 3 nights. We arrived with high expectations based on previous Tripadvisor reviews and the hotel website. Initial impressions when driving in were very good, however things started to go wrong on check in. We were greeted by a new starter on the front desk who was a little unsure of what he was doing. Not really his fault, but the 2 other members of staff were busy selling whale watching tours instead of supervising. We were given room 212 and again first impressions were favourable, stylish and clean, great bathroom and fantastic ocean views. There is no aircon in the rooms and no fan but there is a gas fire.
However as another review noted, this room gets very hot. So we left the windows open (no screens on windows only on the balcony door) and were bitten badly by the mosquito's. (No mention of the mosquitoes by the hotel and no hotel info in the room). On the 2nd night we left the windows closed to avoid being bitten further but room temperature hit the high 20s overnight. The other problem with our room (and I assume all of the others in the hotel) was that the blinds at the windows are nowhere near blackout style so you are woken by daylight pouring in at 5am.
By now we felt we had made a big mistake in our choice of hotel so we complained, feeling that if they could not move us to another room we would just leave a day early. Scott the Guest Services Manager, listened to our problems and kindly arranged to move us to a larger suite. This was a great improvement as the room did not heat up as much and also had a fan available. I was left with the impression that the hotel management knew of the problems of the overheating in some of the rooms and of the poor blinds (apparently due to be fixed shortly).
On the plus side the location is superb, the staff are very friendly, housekeeping do a great job and the facilities all seem very good. We only ate in the bar one night and the food was OK.
On this occasion the hotel did not live up to expectations and came close to ruining our trip to Ucluelet.

Room Tip: Select as big a room as you can afford and make sure a fan is available.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at Black Rock while participating in the Edge-to-Edge Marathon. Beautiful setting with great access to the start/finish of the race and downtown Ucluelet. Easy access to the Pacific Rim walking paths.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
The Francis Boutique Inn
The Francis Boutique Inn
#1 of 11 in Ucluelet
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!