“I felt absolutely pampered!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria
“I felt absolutely pampered!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

The larger than life lobby with it's expansive ocean view took my breath away. The staff made us feel welcome. The room was just great: ocean view, luxury furniture, gas fireplace, master bedroom with a view and the ensuite - wow! If anything, it was too big but I loved the soaker tub while being able to look out to the ocean. The restaurant's location took full advantage of the view and the food was excellent. I also enjoyed a massage at the spa while my husband golfed. I'd return here any time. Wonderful experience if you want to feel pampered.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank livinglife2thefull
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2009
Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed them onto our extremely appreciative culinary and service team in our restaurant "Fetch".

I am so pleased to hear that your experience at Black Rock left you feeling refreshed and pampered, I am even more pleased to hear that you are considering a visit in the future.

Thank you for your business and for chosing us for your wild west coast experience, we are so glad that you did.

Adele Larkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
Revelation1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

Take your time driving the scenic mountain pass between Nanaimo and Ucluelet, the road winds and curves so it’s wise to drive carefully. When you arrive at the resorts front doors you’ll notice the horseshoe style architecture creates a calm atmosphere. Walking through the front entrance the ocean greets you through the front windows. You’ll see how they creatively built the hotel around a surge channel it’s brilliant.

The restaurant was a delightful experience. The servers gave us extra appetizers, and one of the chefs came to see us, describing the menu in detail. The food was brilliantly presented and tasted to suit.
My wife and I loved our room, with its magnificent view and the more than adequate amenities. Heated floors in the bathroom was a nice touch!
The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful, as were those who staffed the housekeeping.
The trails along the ocean were magnificent, and I took the opportunity to jog the few km’s of groomed gravel trails a few times.
A trip out to the lighthouse park is a must and if you happen to catch a sunset there you’re in for a sensory delight of color. Bring a camera!
We had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Revelation1
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2009
Thank you so much for your glowing review. I couldn't agree more the drive up from Port Alberni is spectacular from the river canyons to Kennedy Lake and the mountains off in the distance, I never grow tired of it.

Thank you for your kind comments about our team, I will pass them on.

Please come back to see us soon, it will be our absolute pleasure to serve you again.

Best Regards,

Adele Larkin
richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel is an amazing place to stay. There is tons of detail in the design and is unique trendy and has a great lay out. The view from both the lobby and the rooms is beyond what photos could capture. The hotel is built on top of a rock the over looks one of the inlets of the Ocean.
The rooms are spared nothing and have heated tile floor in the bathroom with amazing soaker tubs. Are well designed with modern furniture, gas fireplace and a king sized bed. Each morning I watched the sunrise from my bed while sipping coffee… What an amazing way to start my day.
The hotel staff are eager to meet the needs of there guests are helpful, friendly. The food is amazing the menu has a great selection you can see the chief has put a lot of thought into the design of the menu, display of the food as well as the staff hired to serve.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thumperRichmond
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2009
Fantastic Photos!

Thank you so much for your great review, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team. I am so pleased to hear you had a great and memorable time at Black Rock. We do hope you can return soon. There will be a lot happening throughout Whalefest March 6 - 14, we hope you can make it.

Take care and again Thank you.

port moody
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

My husband, fur child Koda and I had an amazing family honeymoon at the Black Rock this September. The hotel is AMAZING and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We spent 7 nights in paradise and we didnt have to get on a plane.

The hotel even allows dogs which was amazing as our dog is our baby and we could not leave home without her.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone looking for a romantic get away

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your fantastic review and for celebrating your marriage with us. We look forward to being part of your celebrations in the years to come. Your fur child is always welcome at Black Rock and we hope that our improving pet friendly program will mean that Koda feels just as pampered as Mom and Dad after spending time with us.

Take care and thank you for your stay and your review.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

We chose Black Rock based on a friend's review and because it was dog friendly. We didn't know exactly what to expect but...WOW!! Stunning decor and breathtaking ocean views everywhere you turned.

We took advantage of the spa and restaurant and found both to be just the ticket for a relaxing weekend getaway. We walked our dog all around the grounds and the staff made sure to stop to provide ear rubs and recommend good areas for walking.

Our room (I believe it was a studio cabin) was lovely and I spent a lot of time in the deep soaker tub with a glass of wine. Our weekend ended too soon and we can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2009
Thank you for your fantastic comments. I am so happy your experience was memorable, relaxing and enjoyable.

Please do come again, with your dog of course! We are expanding our Dog Friendly Program here at Black Rock, we want our furry friends to feel a little pampered as well.

All the best to you during the this holiday season and we hope to see you again in the new year.

Regards,

Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

The location is spectacular which makes it all the more disappointing that the architect did not take full advantage. Although it sits right on the water, there is no easy access to the waterfront or the Wild Pacific Trail, which is interrupted by this new development. The rooms are a good size and ours had a good view of the ocean, but the decor is stark - the "Black Rock' theme is taken to extremes, with lots of black panels and grey carpets and furniture, all in a hard-edged style with few curves, and lots of empty space in the lobby and mezzanine. We had expected "cosy West Coast' atmosphere not an attempted 'grand hotel'.
The room was over heated, even after a visit from housekeeping to make sure all switches were turned off. (I later realized that the frig was running continuously causing warm air to flow into the room). The cutting edge heating & ventilation devices have controls which are too complicated for incidental use.
On the other hand, the staff were great without exception - warm, friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 24 November 2009
Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding our team of dedicated hospitality professionals.

The rugged coast line surrounding our hotel is only accessible from the safety of either Big Beach or Little Beach. During the high seas of the winter while enjoying Storm Watching season with big swells and larger waves we recommend viewing from one of the higher vantage points or from the comfort of the hotel patios and restaurants.

We will consider adding some additional signage to show all of the Wild Pacific Trail access points available from the hotel, it is true, the trail does flow through the property allowing hikers to stop for a quick break and some great photo opportunities.

In the designing of the interior of the resort a lot of Black Rock and slate were used, the idea was to bring outside in, this was further achieved by keeping the decor and color scheme to calming natural colors allowing the exterior beauty to fill the space through the large windows.

The overall architecture of the building was designed to allow for all 133 suites to experience a fantastic view of either open ocean vistas or rain forest framed sunset views. In other words there are no suites overlooking the exterior front entrance or parking lot, they all look out at the natural beauty and splendor of the Ucluelet coast line.

I do hope that you are able to return to our wonderful town and our beautiful property in the summer months when the beach access and day light hours help to create the experience you are looking for.

All the best to you in your future travels.

Best Regards,

Adele Larkin, General Manger
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

When my husband and I drove up to this hotel we were awe struck by the beauty of the hotel and surrounding ocean. The location is one of a kind in North America with a surge channel going right through the centre of the resort! My husband couldn't get over the awe factor of the just the front room and he hadn't even seen the view from our suite yet.

The front desk people were helpful, curtious and Ukee friendly. They were able to answer all of our questions. The staff even offered to give us a small tour of the resort. Any time we had a question throughout our stay a quick phone call to the front desk brought us immediate service.

The view from the suite was worth the trip alone. Massive windows in the contemporary living room and bedroom overlooked the rocky bay of crashing waves. Our suite was outfitted with a full kitchen, 2 flat screen TVs, gorgeous art, and a state of the art bathroom. The rainforest shower with river rock floor was like a spa in itself. The bathroom floor even had in floor heating!

The Fetch restaurant completed our experience with 5 star food cooked by one of Canada finest ranked chefs. It was hard to say which meal was our favourite because I would order everything we tasted again. All of the food was freshly prepared with inspiring flavours. The servers were friendly and quick to serve us.

In the past my husband and I have travelled exclusively to our favourite Tofino resort. We have decided that the Black Rock Oceanfront Resort is our new favourite and we will be returning here many times in the future. I will be sending all of my friends here for a one of a kind West Coast experience!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Middle Beach Lodge
Middle Beach Lodge
#6 of 16 in Tofino
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!