“Beautiful hotel with excellent service and great food.”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Beautiful hotel with excellent service and great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

My husband and two young daughters (4 and 2) recently stayed at the Black Rock Resort. The photos on the website didn't do the hotel justice. The location is stunning and the rooms are gorgeous. We stayed in a corner room (I think 213) which was a one bedroom with unbelievable views. The kitchen was fully stocked and the bathroom was gorgeous (although it was a bit dark...could use some brighter lighting). The restaurant was fantastic, we ate bkfst, lunch and dinner. The menu was diverse, reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. The gym was fine. The area seems to be developing quickly so I have no doubt this will be a hot spot for years to come.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2010
Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We are so pleased that your family enjoyed their time at Black Rock.

We hope that your daughters had fun and want to come back to do more beach exploration. Apparently one of their little Barbies liked it so much she chose to stay, we have since sent her home to you first class so I hope she found her way to your door.

Please do come again, we definitely want to be your home away from home.

Best Regards,

Adele Larkin, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

I recently spent a week at Black Rock resort and thought it would just be a standard hotel that fit the needs of needing a place to sleep while I explored Ucluelet and Tofino. The resort exceeded my expectations. I have travelled the world and stayed at mostly 5 star resorts and I can say without a doubt this was in the top 10 hotels I have stayed in. The staff was friendly and helpful and the decor of the lobby was used to enhance the stunning view out of the lobby to the ocean. We got our room upgraded for a nominal fee and were very happy with the upgraded room. As others have said the room had a fireplace, large wall mounted flat screen TV, private balcony overlooking the inlet, large soaker tub and separate shower, and kitchenette. The view was extraordinary from the room and the decor was subtle and lovely and did not compete with the view. Housekeeping was also exceptional with the room being tidied and cleaned promptly and many extras were provided for our kitchen and the dishes left cleaned each day.

1 Thank medusa83
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Thank you for the incredible review. I am thrilled that your overall impression places us in your personal top 10. This consideration is a priveledge.

It will be our abosolute pleasure to have you return in the future. Thank you again for all of your kind comments. I will pass them onto our team.

Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

The larger than life lobby with it's expansive ocean view took my breath away. The staff made us feel welcome. The room was just great: ocean view, luxury furniture, gas fireplace, master bedroom with a view and the ensuite - wow! If anything, it was too big but I loved the soaker tub while being able to look out to the ocean. The restaurant's location took full advantage of the view and the food was excellent. I also enjoyed a massage at the spa while my husband golfed. I'd return here any time. Wonderful experience if you want to feel pampered.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank livinglife2thefull
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2009
Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed them onto our extremely appreciative culinary and service team in our restaurant "Fetch".

I am so pleased to hear that your experience at Black Rock left you feeling refreshed and pampered, I am even more pleased to hear that you are considering a visit in the future.

Thank you for your business and for chosing us for your wild west coast experience, we are so glad that you did.

Adele Larkin
Revelation1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

Take your time driving the scenic mountain pass between Nanaimo and Ucluelet, the road winds and curves so it’s wise to drive carefully. When you arrive at the resorts front doors you’ll notice the horseshoe style architecture creates a calm atmosphere. Walking through the front entrance the ocean greets you through the front windows. You’ll see how they creatively built the hotel around a surge channel it’s brilliant.

The restaurant was a delightful experience. The servers gave us extra appetizers, and one of the chefs came to see us, describing the menu in detail. The food was brilliantly presented and tasted to suit.
My wife and I loved our room, with its magnificent view and the more than adequate amenities. Heated floors in the bathroom was a nice touch!
The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful, as were those who staffed the housekeeping.
The trails along the ocean were magnificent, and I took the opportunity to jog the few km’s of groomed gravel trails a few times.
A trip out to the lighthouse park is a must and if you happen to catch a sunset there you’re in for a sensory delight of color. Bring a camera!
We had a great time and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering.

2 Thank Revelation1
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2009
Thank you so much for your glowing review. I couldn't agree more the drive up from Port Alberni is spectacular from the river canyons to Kennedy Lake and the mountains off in the distance, I never grow tired of it.

Thank you for your kind comments about our team, I will pass them on.

Please come back to see us soon, it will be our absolute pleasure to serve you again.

Best Regards,

Adele Larkin
richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel is an amazing place to stay. There is tons of detail in the design and is unique trendy and has a great lay out. The view from both the lobby and the rooms is beyond what photos could capture. The hotel is built on top of a rock the over looks one of the inlets of the Ocean.
The rooms are spared nothing and have heated tile floor in the bathroom with amazing soaker tubs. Are well designed with modern furniture, gas fireplace and a king sized bed. Each morning I watched the sunrise from my bed while sipping coffee… What an amazing way to start my day.
The hotel staff are eager to meet the needs of there guests are helpful, friendly. The food is amazing the menu has a great selection you can see the chief has put a lot of thought into the design of the menu, display of the food as well as the staff hired to serve.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

1 Thank thumperRichmond
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2009
Fantastic Photos!

Thank you so much for your great review, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to my team. I am so pleased to hear you had a great and memorable time at Black Rock. We do hope you can return soon. There will be a lot happening throughout Whalefest March 6 - 14, we hope you can make it.

Take care and again Thank you.

port moody
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2009

My husband, fur child Koda and I had an amazing family honeymoon at the Black Rock this September. The hotel is AMAZING and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We spent 7 nights in paradise and we didnt have to get on a plane.

The hotel even allows dogs which was amazing as our dog is our baby and we could not leave home without her.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone looking for a romantic get away

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review and for celebrating your marriage with us. We look forward to being part of your celebrations in the years to come. Your fur child is always welcome at Black Rock and we hope that our improving pet friendly program will mean that Koda feels just as pampered as Mom and Dad after spending time with us.

Take care and thank you for your stay and your review.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

We chose Black Rock based on a friend's review and because it was dog friendly. We didn't know exactly what to expect but...WOW!! Stunning decor and breathtaking ocean views everywhere you turned.

We took advantage of the spa and restaurant and found both to be just the ticket for a relaxing weekend getaway. We walked our dog all around the grounds and the staff made sure to stop to provide ear rubs and recommend good areas for walking.

Our room (I believe it was a studio cabin) was lovely and I spent a lot of time in the deep soaker tub with a glass of wine. Our weekend ended too soon and we can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2009
Thank you for your fantastic comments. I am so happy your experience was memorable, relaxing and enjoyable.

Please do come again, with your dog of course! We are expanding our Dog Friendly Program here at Black Rock, we want our furry friends to feel a little pampered as well.

All the best to you during the this holiday season and we hope to see you again in the new year.

Regards,

Adele Larkin, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
#5 of 11 in Ucluelet

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!