“3 day getaway with our sweet dog”

Reef Point Cottages
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My son bought us a 3 day getaway for Christmas so I chose Ucluelet because we live on the east side of Vancouver Island. I searched for a pet friendly accomodation so we could take our dog Brandy. I am so happy I chose Reef Point, it was perfect for us! We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage waterfront, all the 1 bedrooms were full. We had such an amazing time, quiet, privacy, hot tub, super comfy bed and full kitchen! I cooked our christmas turkey on Christmas eve and we will go back in the summer! We walked the Pacific Coast Trail, bundled up in rain gear and it was beautiful! Had breakfast one morning at the Black Rock hotel with amazing views of the ocean. Nothing dissapointed us and cannot wait to go back!!!!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We recently stayed at Reef Point Cottages in a two bedroom (cottage F) waterfront with a hot tub. This little cottage was wonderful. It was immaculately clean and the gas fireplace was already on when we arrived so when we walked in it was warm and inviting.
The bedrooms are on the second floor and we slept in the room with the king bed, the other bedroom overlooked the water and had a queen bed.
We brought food with us for dinner the first night and BBQ'd on the front deck while a couple of baby racoons watched. We spent most of our weekend on the back deck in the hot tub though. The back decks are not as private as we had hoped for, it has a partial wall on one side but nothing on the other. I'm assuming so as not to impede the view, which by the way was amazing.
Cassandra at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, we had a slightly rowdy group next to us the first night and she dealt with them right away. We didn't have a problem after that.
I highly recommend Reef Point, this is my second time staying here and am definitely looking forward to our next visit.

2  Thank jwarren11
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We had a last-minute opportunity for an overnight getaway Nanaimo to Ucluelet (our first time to the West Coast in nearly 2 years on the island!). Whereas I normally would do a lot more research before booking, in this case I simply didn't have time. I knew we preferred a cabin or cottage-style lodging, if possible, and that a hot tub would be ideal. We also needed a place willing to accept a one-night stay. So in fairness, Reef Point delivered on those basic "wants." Cassandra, the young woman who handled the telephone booking and later checked us in, was friendly, efficient and helpful.

Once we entered the cottage (#16, Studio C type), we were surprised to find it stone-cold. With an outside temperature close to freezing, it seems the heat might have been turned on at some point between our 9:30 a.m. booking and 6:00 p.m. arrival! As it was, the baseboard heaters were not efficient and the cabin did not actually feel warm until the early hours of the morning, even with the thermostat cranked to maximum. The tile floors in kitchen and bathroom were icy, even when wearing socks--we ended up putting towels down on the floor to make it bearable.

The mattress had a large hollow in the center, which did not make for a restful night. The bed also was quite creaky, as noted by at least one other review. For aesthetics (OK, maybe I'm being picky, but details matter!), it would have been nice to have some kind of a bed skirt or even a sheet on the box spring rather than have it completely exposed. We weren't expecting luxurious appointments at this price, but the interior furnishings were definitely done on the cheap--crooked outlet covers, dings in the drywall, inconsistent paint job, kitchen cabinet doors that did open/close properly. And the roof design was such that you had to walk through a mini-waterfall when entering & leaving the cottage; I'm not an architect or a builder, but I know there are things you can do with roof pitch to steer the water away, which might have been a good idea in this rainforest climate...

We were happy with the hot tub in spite of the water being super-chlorinated.

On the morning of our departure, a staff member had unhelpfully left the Reef Point van parked smack in the middle of the drive--we were barely able to sneak past with our compact car. One last annoyance on our way out. I did voice our complaints to the young woman on duty in the office (I did not get her name), but the response "I'm sorry you guys feel that way" didn't seem terribly genuine, and there was no offer to try to make up for it in any way.

We paid $129 + tax for the night. Middle-of-the-road price for the area in this season, as far as I could tell, but I think we might have been just as happy at one of the budget motels in town, or a bed and breakfast where at least we would have had a muffin and juice. ;-) Overall, we just didn't feel it was a good value.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Went with my girlfriend (bringing our dog was a nice plus) this past spring, and we were both highly impressed. The staff was very friendly and helpful without being 'in-your-face' intrusive, accommodations were clean, comfortable, and as advertised. It's not a luxury resort, but it's friendly, well-maintained, and can be gotten for a great price for the location. Looking forward to going back in the future!

Room Tip: By swimming pool, I mean 'hot tub' - again, not fancy, but manages to balance being outdoors...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Great cottage with all self catering amenities, all you need for a holiday, close to the famous lite house. Their TV even has a channel showing live from it! Great attraction, can see what is the weather outside without leaving the cottage! Much cheaper that Tofino and within a drive to all the beaches, rain forest and only 35 min drive from Tofino itself.
The only issue I had was paying by cash at the reception on the day of arrival and told on the checkout that I did not pay???? Make sure to ask for a a receipt to avoid misunderstandings like this.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We planned a girls get away and wanted a cabin, not a hotel room, and we came across Reef Point Cottages online.
We booked a 2 bedroom cottage with a forest view. We ended up having to change our dates and we were able to do so with no charge and no hassle, which was appreciated.
We arrived and we were checked in quickly, found our cabin and unloaded.
So cute!!! We were like kids checking out everything!!
Our cabin was 3 levels ~ one queen sized bedroom downstairs with doors leading out the patio with the hot tub, one king sized bedroom upstairs in the loft (with a staircase not a ladder!) along with a pull out sofa bed, main floor has a comfortable living room with the TV and a pull out sofa bed, doors leading out the to patio with the BBQ and a good sized kitchen with everything you need to cook a great meal.
The cabin was clean, comfortable and well stocked.
This a great location, very quite area and still close to the water, beaches and restaurants.
There are many other cabins to choose from, depending on your wants and needs, some even have fireplaces!
We will be back to Reef Point Cottages in the future.

Room Tip: All the cabins are similarly equipped and super cute, it just depends on your personal preference!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Reefpoint cottages are very cute and well maintained. Staff are very friendly and gave us great restaurant recommendations. We had everything that we needed, full kitchen with microwave for popcorn and a coffee maker that incl coffee. The only negative thing was there is only 1 grocery store (coop) in Ucluelet and it is very expensive because it can be I guess. The staff in the coop's deli could use a course in customer service too, particularly the blonde lady. We were purchasing sandwiches and I asked for mustard and she literally threw 3 packs over the counter at me. Take groceries from home if you plan on cooking - we made chili! Other than that it is a very tranquil place to visit. Jiggers for Halibut is a must.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
#10 of 11 in Ucluelet
Whale's Tail Guest Suites
Whale's Tail Guest Suites
#8 of 11 in Ucluelet

Been to Reef Point Cottages? Share your experiences!