“Definitely returning here!”

Reef Point Cottages
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Reef Point Cottages for a Valentine's Day retreat, and we stayed from February 15-17, 2013. On the way there, I had no idea where we were going, and as we drove into the parking stall by the main house, I thought they were the cutest little cabins ever. Later, this first impression was definitely fulfilled, inside and out.

Neither of us knew exactly what amenities were available, and we were surprised to find a jetted tub, and a full kitchen including a refrigerator, stove/oven, and dishwasher. It was very spacious for the two of us, and it was definitely nice to have the kitchen compared to the typical kitchenette.

However, the cabin was not perfect. As soon as I had seen this jetted tub I was very excited to try it out, which I did after dinner that evening. I ran the water, and discovered it to be a murky yellow-brown colour which really turned me off, and then I found out that the jets did not actually work. The first time the toilet was used, I also noticed that they was grime around the toilet bowl, showing it had probably not had a thorough cleaning for some time. We bypassed this as just being a busy hotel setting.

Following this, that first evening we were there, we were kept up by noisy neighbours in the cabin next door. While there is space between each of the suites, it was still close enough for them to be loud enough to disturb us into the night. It did not happen the second night however, and we drifted to sleep to the sounds of sea lions in the nearby ocean. It was nice to know that we were still able to be so close to nature.

The third thing that we had a problem with was although it was evident housekeeping came through our room, the only difference was the replaced toilet paper in the bathroom. Our bed was unmade, and the bathroom had little to no changes in cleanliness at all.

The off-season price was right, and the amount of space, the quaintness of the cottage, and the great location has made us decide that we would be likely to return here, regardless of our issues. The problems we had are easily solved by notifying the front desk, which we decided not to due to our relatively short stay. I would visit Reef Point again, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley E

Reviewed 12 February 2013

We were lucky enough to stay at the Reef Point Cottages in September of last year. When we first drove up, we were a little concerned - they aren't much to look at from the road. But once we got inside we changed our mind. The cottages are small but we were fine, as a group of six. Sitting out on the patio looking out over the ocean and the forested area was fantastic. waking up and having a hot tub watching the mist over the ocean and listening to the wild life was amazing.
There were a few minuses - to which I attribute the fact that the property was relatively new. The kitchen's could use a bit more in terms of mixing bowls (for salads etc) and dishes/utensils and glassware. That was really all I can complain about. We are planning another trip to the island this summer and will plan on staying there for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

My husband and I along with our small dog have stayed at Reef Point cottages in studio units for the past 2 yrs. Studio units w/forest view are very nice. Have no complaint at all, staff was friendly and helpful. Cottage was clean and comfortable which is what we were looking for.Nice addition last yr. was coffee and muffins at the office in the AM. Plan on going back the end of April this yr. Really looking forward to it

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Cabin C7. This is a low budget accommodation. The softtub is worn-out and cool to the touch. The bed is hard and the sheets worn through. Two of the blinds are missing the handle to open and close them. The spiral staircase to the second bedroom was in the middle of the room. Long beach offers much better accommodation for this price.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Sherri M
Reviewed 31 December 2012

My son bought us a 3 day getaway for Christmas so I chose Ucluelet because we live on the east side of Vancouver Island. I searched for a pet friendly accomodation so we could take our dog Brandy. I am so happy I chose Reef Point, it was perfect for us! We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage waterfront, all the 1 bedrooms were full. We had such an amazing time, quiet, privacy, hot tub, super comfy bed and full kitchen! I cooked our christmas turkey on Christmas eve and we will go back in the summer! We walked the Pacific Coast Trail, bundled up in rain gear and it was beautiful! Had breakfast one morning at the Black Rock hotel with amazing views of the ocean. Nothing dissapointed us and cannot wait to go back!!!!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

We recently stayed at Reef Point Cottages in a two bedroom (cottage F) waterfront with a hot tub. This little cottage was wonderful. It was immaculately clean and the gas fireplace was already on when we arrived so when we walked in it was warm and inviting.
The bedrooms are on the second floor and we slept in the room with the king bed, the other bedroom overlooked the water and had a queen bed.
We brought food with us for dinner the first night and BBQ'd on the front deck while a couple of baby racoons watched. We spent most of our weekend on the back deck in the hot tub though. The back decks are not as private as we had hoped for, it has a partial wall on one side but nothing on the other. I'm assuming so as not to impede the view, which by the way was amazing.
Cassandra at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, we had a slightly rowdy group next to us the first night and she dealt with them right away. We didn't have a problem after that.
I highly recommend Reef Point, this is my second time staying here and am definitely looking forward to our next visit.

2  Thank jwarren11
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We had a last-minute opportunity for an overnight getaway Nanaimo to Ucluelet (our first time to the West Coast in nearly 2 years on the island!). Whereas I normally would do a lot more research before booking, in this case I simply didn't have time. I knew we preferred a cabin or cottage-style lodging, if possible, and that a hot tub would be ideal. We also needed a place willing to accept a one-night stay. So in fairness, Reef Point delivered on those basic "wants." Cassandra, the young woman who handled the telephone booking and later checked us in, was friendly, efficient and helpful.

Once we entered the cottage (#16, Studio C type), we were surprised to find it stone-cold. With an outside temperature close to freezing, it seems the heat might have been turned on at some point between our 9:30 a.m. booking and 6:00 p.m. arrival! As it was, the baseboard heaters were not efficient and the cabin did not actually feel warm until the early hours of the morning, even with the thermostat cranked to maximum. The tile floors in kitchen and bathroom were icy, even when wearing socks--we ended up putting towels down on the floor to make it bearable.

The mattress had a large hollow in the center, which did not make for a restful night. The bed also was quite creaky, as noted by at least one other review. For aesthetics (OK, maybe I'm being picky, but details matter!), it would have been nice to have some kind of a bed skirt or even a sheet on the box spring rather than have it completely exposed. We weren't expecting luxurious appointments at this price, but the interior furnishings were definitely done on the cheap--crooked outlet covers, dings in the drywall, inconsistent paint job, kitchen cabinet doors that did open/close properly. And the roof design was such that you had to walk through a mini-waterfall when entering & leaving the cottage; I'm not an architect or a builder, but I know there are things you can do with roof pitch to steer the water away, which might have been a good idea in this rainforest climate...

We were happy with the hot tub in spite of the water being super-chlorinated.

On the morning of our departure, a staff member had unhelpfully left the Reef Point van parked smack in the middle of the drive--we were barely able to sneak past with our compact car. One last annoyance on our way out. I did voice our complaints to the young woman on duty in the office (I did not get her name), but the response "I'm sorry you guys feel that way" didn't seem terribly genuine, and there was no offer to try to make up for it in any way.

We paid $129 + tax for the night. Middle-of-the-road price for the area in this season, as far as I could tell, but I think we might have been just as happy at one of the budget motels in town, or a bed and breakfast where at least we would have had a muffin and juice. ;-) Overall, we just didn't feel it was a good value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
The Francis Boutique Inn
#10 of 11 in Ucluelet
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
#5 of 11 in Ucluelet

Been to Reef Point Cottages? Share your experiences!