“Quiet, relaxing and comfy”

Moon and Sixpence B&B
Ranked #11 of 30 Ucluelet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were in Ucluelet for just one night and stayed with Alice in her lovely home.
She is a South African delight! She is kind and generous and soft spoken and is a great
host for this town. She loves this town and knows all the best eats and tours and walks and beaches. She will win you over to come again and see more.
The room is simple yet comfortable and she has the place decorated with her own
artwork. She is good by the way!
The breakfast was simple but well made and yummy.
The only drawback is that she has cats and my husband and I really do not care for them. She is very good about not having them in the guests rooms but if people have allergies at all, this could pose a problem. Don't get me wrong, the cats did not bother us, we just don't care for them.
We would stay here again and we plan to this summer.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great. She also has a suite for families with a kitchen. No television in r...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lori14181725

Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at this very clean, quiet as well as comfortable B&B and definitely enjoyed our stay. The host Alice is very friendly, provides excellent hints about places in the area to visit and is very supportive. Her freshly prepared breakfast is simply delicious and bounteous. This is a highly recommended B&B.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The signs made finding Moon and Sixpence easy to find as it is before the actual town of Ucluelet. Alice welcomed us and offered us a more private suite around the back of the house as we were staying for three nights. After looking at all the options we chose the suite which is more like a small apartment. She made us feel very welcome. The accomodations were clean and comfortable. All three mornings Alice prepared something different for breakfast but all of it was delicious. We were the only guests staying there at the time so we had Alice all to ourselves and we enjoyed her breakfasts and conversation. We learned alot about life in Ucluelet and she made us feel like friends. The town is charming. We loved hiking the trails and beaches. Knowing we had a clean and comfortable place to stay after a long day on the trails made the trip memorable. Thank you Alice for a wonderful stay. Hope we get back to see you soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ofallongirl
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The rooms are lovely and well furnished and the service is inviting and consistent. One of the best B & B properties of many I've stayed with. Despite the fact they were having temporary problems with the heater the proprietor "Alice" still managed to make it an enjoyable stay. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast was excellent, and our party of four left quite happy about the experience that included deer dancing across the lawn during our meal.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2012

STAY HERE you wont be disappointed! I stayed with Alice for two nights tho I wish I could have stayed longer. All I wanted was a place to RELAX after a day of wandering on the local trails and beaches and I found that and more. From the moment I arrived, Alice made me feel like a friend who had come to stay. She was happy to tell me about the area and her favourite places which I visited and loved. The house is an AMAZING design located on a quiet side street, the bed was really comfortable, the living space for guests very social, the hot tub just what I needed and she made the BEST BREAKFASTS of my 3 wk trip back to Van Island. You will need your own transport if you want to eat out in the evenings as there is nothing locally. I didn't have wheels so just made sure I ate before I returned home.

I arrived on the Broken Ferry from Port Alberni - I recommend this too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Very good signposting makes it easy to find the Moon and Sixpence. A warm welcome made me quickly forget the many hours spent on the road to reach Ucluelet.

A very quiet house in a side street. The bedroom was spotless, the bed hypercomfortable. The adjoining bathroom was huge, had all the amenities one could wish for, down to the minutest details and above all was perfectly clean. The cosy first-floor sitting-room designed for guests is equipped with guest fridges, coffee-maker, etc... Some reading matter is provided too. A great place to relax in and perhaps with a view when there is no fog.

The cooked breakfast served by Alice was absolutely delicious and that large round dining-room table is great to share with other guests. It makes it easier to engage conversation and exchange travel experiences. None of the impersonal atmosphere typical of some hotel breakfast rooms.

That Alice cares for her guests becomes obvious the moment she guides you through her well-kept house on arrival. Experience definitely speaks here. You feel that she has time for you and enjoys it. I was amazed at how long she sat down with me in the middle of the afternoon, as if she had all the time in the world to comment the Ucluelet map, give me practical tips on the area as well as all the details I needed on sightseeing. I wish the weather down there had had the same good disposition with me!

Which brings me to another point. Having booked for four nights months in advance I felt like a sitting duck in Ucluelet with the weather showing no improvement for still another week over most of Vancouver Island while the Rockies still enjoyed sun and almost summerly temperatures. I'd had my share of that lousy weather in most of the preceding week already. So, as nature photography was the major reason i chose this destination and time was running out, there was no point sitting it out. Alice showed great fairness and full understanding when I told her I would like to move on earlier then planned, although she was from sure she could get other guests to book the room at such short notice. So I was very grateful that my decision would not lead to ill feelings.

Suffice to say that for this last reason as well as for all the nice attentions and creature comforts I enjoyed during my all-too-short stay, the Moon and Sixpence is a place I would be eager to return to whenever the opportunity may arise.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 September 2011

EXCELLENT !!! Alice made us so welcome and her home is beautiful, very clean and comfortable. We were given good advise on where to go and what to do on our arrival and as we were only there for 3 days this was so helpful and everything suggested was ideal. Bedrooms are lovely; very comfy beds with a relaxing sitting room so we could have an evening drink and a chat. BEST omelettes ever for breakfast so light and filled differently each morning and gorgeous scones and other home bakes. Would recommend the Moon & Sixpence to anyone visiting Vancouver Island

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple