“Having A Whale Of A Time At Bostrom's”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ucluelet
Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay
Ranked #2 of 30 Ucluelet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

No visit to Vancouver Island is ever complete without a trip to the West Coast. As we were in Tofino last time, we plumped for Ucluelet and Bostrom's for our 2013 visit.
From our original correspondence with Judy, we just knew that this place was going to be something special, and boy, were we not wrong! You arrive up a short drive , and the front garden is immaculate. Judy greets you with a huge West Coast smile, and you feel like friends already. You go round the back of the house, and its there; that incredible view you have looked at and wanted for so long now. You are 10000km away from home, but you don't want to be anywhere else except here taking in the breathtaking view. Perfection!
We had the Pacific Trail room. Lavishly furnished, tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean, this was just a wonderful room to chill out in. Large doors lead out onto the deck and that view. The rest of the large house is just as good. How many B and B's boast a full size snooker table in the lounge? A huge television is there for those not so nice nights. A well stocked kitchen area offers round the clock drinks, and an seemingly inexhaustible supply of yummy baked goods. Outside is the hot-tub and a new sauna, both looking so inviting. Could things get any better? Well, yes they could. Skip along the short garden path down to the lower ocean side deck and relax with the Pacific Ocean as your neighbour.. A few more steps and into the ocean for a swim, explore the rocky beach or just look and stare.
We sit and relax; a cry from above from Judy. A whale is swimming past, and we just stand and watch its progress, and in that moment, you just know that Bostrom's is so very special.
Judy's breakfasts are the stuff of legends. Healthy smoothies and juices, local fruit, bacon and eggs stunningly prepared, imaginative muffins and lashings of tea and coffee. Judy executes all these effortlessly, yet still has time to sit down for a story, or to answer travel questions etc. The hospitality that we had throughout from Judy and Gary, was just quite outstanding, and certainly leaves all others trailing in their wake.
Ucluelet is getting to be a "must visit" place on the West Coast. It boasts some superb attractions, such as Norwoods and Archipelago Cruises, but our highlight was our too brief a stay with Judy at Bostrom's, and we can't wait to return. It really is that good!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Though it means a lot to us that you have given us a glowing report for all the world to see, it is even more important that all the work and renovations we have been doing year by year have been appreciated and have made your holiday just a little bit sweeter. We look forward to seeing you come up over the horizon again someday soon.

There are newer reviews for Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was so excited to see Bostrom's and hoped that it would live up to the spectacular reviews and pictures. I'm happy to report that it did and more. Judy and Gary (and Baxter) are fantastic hosts.

So much to say... the view is breathtaking, Judy's breakfast's and homemade cookies are yummy, Judy's stories are entertaining and her knowledge of the area is outstanding. There is a special attention to detail throughout the entire B&B. As others have mentioned, there are so many places to explore throughout the area but we often chose to come back to the B&B and enjoy the many amenities. One of our favorite things to do was to get fish and chops from Jiggers and bring it back to enjoy the view from the deck. Judy even brought us some fresh cookies from the oven - good timing for us.

We stayed in the Trail Room, which does not have a direct ocean view from the room. However, who needs to see the view from the room when the deck is so spectacular. We also liked the Trail Room because it's off to the side of the house and offers a greater amount of privacy.

Thank you so much Judy for a fantastic, relaxing visit. It's a long way from D.C. but we hope to make it back some day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

I will continue to work towards living up to this and all the wonderful reviews. I have, hands down, the best guests ever! Thank-you for your review!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Not sure how much more I can add to the glowing reviews Judy and Gary already has, but this was the most perfect place we could have found for our trip. Not only is Little Beach absolutely breathtaking, with Judy's delicious gourmet breakfasts and hilarious stories, and Gary's infinite span of knowledge, there were often days we just wanted to stay at Bostrom's despite all the things to do and see on Vancouver island. When we did come back however, it was such a comfort to see the gorgeous view right behind our room and to jump into the hot tub or sauna.

One of our favourite experiences was, of course, being on the lower deck (where you can walk down stairs and lily pad stones to jump into the water) after a short secret garden walk of sorts, and seeing a bear casually flipping over stones for little crabbies and fish on the rocks.

In short, I wish I could take Bostrom's and Judy and Gary, and of course Baxter (a talking Shitzu!) wherever I go travel.

D

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Oh Donna! Thank-you for your review. It was so good to meet you all! Baxter said to say, "Mama". I'll try to get him to say Donna by the next time your come back!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just a quick note to say how very much we enjoyed our stay with Judy and Gary Bostrom in Uculet, B.C. We had the "Trail Suite" and it was so quiet and cozy (also, there were fresh baked cookies put in the room every day-what a treat!).There was nothing they had missed when putting this unit together. They offered a beautiful sauna, a hot tub, and in the common room, a wonderful Snooker table. Judy made sure we had lots to eat at breakfast, smoothies, fresh fruit, and a variety of breakfast items along with lots of hot coffee! We are certainly looking forward to going back soon.
Bob and Linda Pearson, Victoria, B.C.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We look forward to your return too folks! Hug from my house to yours!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We actually stayed in July 2012 but I'm running very late with my reviews!

If you look at my last review from 2012, you'll see that I said we'd be back and back we went!

2012 was the year of our twentieth wedding anniversary and we decided to splash out on a three week driving holiday from Calgary to Vancouver via Vancouver Island. This gave us the perfect excuse to book three nights at Bostroms. We even re-arranged other stays to fit in with the free dates that Bostroms had, LOL.

I cannot write much more than I did in my first review except to add a pinch of everyone elses review and mix it in with mine! Last time we stayed in the Wild Room and this time the Pacific Room (next time the suite??) and they are equally as lovely.

It's not like home from home as here one is treated like royalty and weighted on hand and foot - who gets that at home?? Judy and Gary are so warm and gracious and nothing is too much trouble.

I don't wish to repeat myself from my previous review but I will add that we were very touched by the bubbly, ice and glasses left for us on our first evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary. So very kind and thoughful, thank you very much :)

From us a clear cut 10/10 - and yes, we will be back!! Ha!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank-you for your wonderful review! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

Okay, so I haven’t been to every bed and breakfast in the world; but if you have been to Bostrom’s, you know why I would be calling it the best. One simply cannot imagine how Bostrom’s could be improved. Judy and Gary go above and beyond the call of duty and provide such a relaxing, nourishing, and enjoyable atmosphere that it would be a crime if Bostrom’s was not held in hight esteem amongst the best in the world. What follows is a few comments on some aspects of Bostrom.

The B&B/Environment: We (me and my parents) stayed in the suite and we were provided everything! Plates, glasses, spoons, forks, binoculars, flashlights, etc etc etc. I slept on the sofa bed (which I found quite comfy) and there was a sky light immediately above me, through which I could see the branches of a tree and glimpses of the sky above. Sleeping there with the sights and sounds of the ocean was a mystical experience. Talking about sights and sounds, immediately outside the suite is a patio/outlook/out-door-sitting-eating-area, and the view from there takes your breath away. I don’t simply mean “wow that is beautiful” take your breath away, but “sweet lord all mighty we have left earth and are in heaven now” take your breath away. I wont ruin it with details. I personally find this place to be truly sublime.

The B&B also has a main room where there is a pool table and other assorted goodies. Which makes for a fun time exploring and playing games. This is also where the breakfast table is, which brings me to the food!

Food: Oh the food, oh the food. I won’t give you a menu as I am sure each individual’s needs and tastes are different, but the food here is delicious. I require food with lots of flavor and Bostrom delivers! My mouth is watering with just the thought of that egg benedict and the sausages and - oops - I forgot I said wouldn’t give the menu! Regardless, there is no debate: the food here is awesome.

Also, for anyone visiting during the season when fresh spot prawns are available. Do yourself a favor, don’t go out to some expensive restaurant, buy some spot prawns and find a grill to fry them up with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne, and you’ll be having a really delicious meal!

The Hosts: Pacific Rim National Park and its surrounding areas have a certain magic and majesty to them. From the gigantic trees to the primeval beaches, this place has a certain quality that even most superlatives would fail to express. For those of us who live near cities, this place balances between nature and humanity by rejecting the dichotomy. The whole place is a living breathing and organism, and humanity - with all its technology and sophistication - is a fundamental and natural part of it. This area of the world truly is special and every dollar spend protecting it is worthwhile. I mention all of this because for me: Judy, Gary, and their adorable dog Baxster, capture and enhance so much of what I adore about this place. From Gary’s deep and insightful wisdom, to Judy’s peerless kindness, and even to Baxster’s ridiculous levels of cuteness, you find at Bostrom’s so much to talk about and learn from. I deeply cherished every conversation with Judy and Gary (Baster too, of course) and truly learned so much. These are exemplar examples of, not only B&B hosts, but human beings as well.

Conclusion: There is so much more I would like to say about Bostrom’s but I think, in the end, everyone needs to have their own adventure here (and more than a review of Bostrom’s, I simply want to urge individuals to visit). Suffice to say, if you are visiting Ucluelet and Tofino, and you deeply cherish having experiences that soften your heart and open your mind, it would be a mistake, a crime, and perhaps even a sin, not to spend some quality time at Bostrom’s.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Wow! You really know how to make a girl blush!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our stay with Judy and Gary, was wonderful from start to finish, just a shame we only stayed two nights. The cost was a little more than we would normally pay for b&b in England but as soon as we walked through the door we could see why. Judy has paid so much attention to detail with decorating the guest rooms and thought of every little thing that makes you feel completely at home. The three bedrooms all have stunning views of the inlet and islands. Breakfasts were completely different to anything we have had for breakfast before, but delicious. Every morning Judy came and sat with us after we had finished breakfast and chatted for over an hour. She recommended local restaurants and we ended up eating at the float house restaurant both evenings as we enjoyed it so much. The common room has an espresso machine and cookies for guests to enjoy, full size pool table, dart board and tv as there are no tvs in the bedrooms. There is a jacuzzi and sauna for guests to enjoy, there are special robes in each bedroom for guests to wear in the sauna. Thankyou Judy and Gary for making our stay a memorable one. Sue and Paul

Room Tip: All rooms are great as they all have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Judy B, Owner at Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

I'm so glad you found us Sue and Paul! Perhaps someday you will become a neighbour here in BC. Until then, we look forward to your next visit!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
West Coast Motel on the Harbour
Reef Point Oceanfront B&B
Reef Point Oceanfront B&B
#3 of 30 in Ucluelet

Been to Bostrom's B&B On Little Beach Bay? Share your experiences!