“I would have to be desparate to stay here again.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watson Lake
Northern Beaver Post Cottages
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Watson Lake
Anchorage, Alaska
“I would have to be desparate to stay here again.”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed in cabin with two full sized beds. Highest priced place in over 4,000 miles of travel including Alaska, Canada, and continental US. Facilities were marginal at best. Water only luke warm. Lot's of "No No" signs everywhere. Billing included an additional charge for water usage in the cabin. This information is not provided in the brochure.
Restaurant was expensive and of poor quality. Asked for a glass of water to go with my $30.00 steak. They provide bottled water only for $1.95 each. Steak was maginal with freezer burned fat and came on a cold plate. The baked potatoe was not a full potatoe but 1/4 of an old baked potatoe that was then fried. Shared half order meals were an additional $5.00. Sampling of a family members food was called stealing by the cook. WiFi is not free and is $5.00 an hour. All in all I don't mind paying premium prices for premium service but was disappointed with what was provided here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank MCR87

Business
Chetwynd
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We were on a trip up to the Yukon and it was evening as we reached Watson Lake. As we traveled with 2 elderly ladies not used to long hours of driving did we stop in WL and looked for accommodations.
We did not find something suitable for our large family in WL itself but one of the receptionists recommended Northern Beaver Post (Nugget City) to us and also called to make sure they have room. We drove out there and took a look at the cabins and since it was already evening decided to stay there.
My mistake, I should have asked for the cost first! 2 cabins for one night over 600.- dollars. Now I know why they abandoned Gold mining, because the Gold is not in the hills it’s in the pocket of the tourists.
The cabins where OK, nothing special, right along the Highway, they seem to be clean. The meals are good and nice size portions but here again fairly expensive.
Everything in the store and the restaurant is way overpriced, but what do you do if you have a van full of hungry people in the middle of nowhere.
On top of spending about 1000.- for beds and meals for one night my daughter left her camera behind in the room (we know it was in the room) but when realizing that 2 hours later and calling to ask them to put it aside it was already gone and nowhere to be found anymore.
So unless you are very rich and don’t mind someone else getting rich because of you don’t stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank Swinada
British Columbia
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I was traveling along the Alaska Hwy late at night. There did not seem to be anything open along the whole highway it was around 12am and I was getting worried that I wouldn't have a place to stay. All of a sudden I came across this beautiful business situated 15 minutes west of Watson Lake.

Turns out the owners, Scott and Linda Goodwin, were still up and they had rooms available. I hadn't eaten anything since lunch so they even gave me my options of dinner and served me at 12 am!

I got a front cabin and loved it's cozy feel. It was a bit small, but clean, beautifully built and worth the price. I woke the next morning to a hearty breakfast in the restaurant and went on my way.

This is an amazing spot to stop for the night. They offer food in the restaurant, different types of accommodations (wither traveling alone or with someone), a beautiful gift shop, an RV Park, mechanic shop and a gas station. I would recommend this business to anyone!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Amber G
New Brunswick
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I stayed here in late September. The cabin was very nice, especially the bathroom. My only small complaint would be that the propane heater was rather noisy when it turned off/on. When I went to bed I just turned the thermostat way down. I'm guessing this would be a non-issue in summer.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Good2go1964
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 12 July 2008

I don't know what place these other reviewers stayed at, except the one about all the mosquitoes, because this is one of the worst places we ever stayed. Scott and Linda, the owners, were cold and snobbish. I don't think our van met their high standards. The electricity was out in our cabin and they said they'd look into it but didn't and then were nowhere to be found. Luckily we had a couple of emergency candles with us, otherwise we'd be battling mosquitoes in the dark.

the cabin didn't seem to have been cleaned in ages. I don't appreciate other people's hair in the sink, sorry about that! :(

The bed was uncomfortable and we had the squeamish feeling the sheets weren't clean. the droning of mosquitoes kept us awake all night. Water barely trickled out of the tap. All things considered, we got out of there as fast as possible. We would have been more comfortable sleeping in our van. At least we know it's clean.

I recommend that everyone run a mile from this place!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything, ESPECIALLY the owners!!!
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank Northernboy78
Edmonton, AB Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2007

I'd advise you to get up early in Fort Nelson and drive all the way to Whitehorse. There's nothing to see here. Our cabin was like a construction shed. There were screens on the windows, but we were inundated with hungry mosquitos. We killed what seemed like a hundred before we went to bed. At 3 a.m. we were awakened by the humming of hundreds more, in our room! We threw our stuff in the car and left.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank Call_us_Canucks
Seward, Alaska
Reviewed 9 July 2006

Scott and Linda ( the owners) and Donna, are such wonderful and friendly people. We lost our kitty and Donna took time off from her work to help look for her (thankfully, after her 2 1/2 hour jaunt into the Yukon she figured she was better off with us, and she came back!) We stayed two nights at the cabins, which are better than most 4 star hotels in the USA, very very clean, super maintained. I would love to go back on vacation, instead of just driving through. Strongly recommend for anyone driving this way. Much better than anything in Watson Lake and Scott, Linda and Donna will top anyone in Watson Lake, that is a promise!

This is not a fake review, I have the receipts to show that we stayed there, which was May 29th and May 30th, 2006. On our move from the USA to Alaska.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Kevin W

Been to Northern Beaver Post Cottages? Share your experiences!