“Only as a last resort...”
Review of Andrea's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watson Lake
Andrea's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Watson Lake
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Beds were horrible. Completely worn out to the point that they rolled flat in some places and you could hear and feel the old springs inside doubling over. There were new mattresses in the other rooms but they were unavailable. We've stayed in many other places in Canada and Alaska in the summer, and this was the only place that didn't have any kind of darkening curtains. We had to tape a blanket to the wall over the window in order to sleep. On a positive note, the girl that checked us in did everything she could to make this a decent stay for us, and she was very pleasant and professional, but there was only so much she could do. She brought us fans since there is no air conditioning and lamps since the room was so dark. We thought about leaving the windows open, but since the screens were only being held in place with packaging tape, we preferred to keep the windows closed. We spoke to the staff in the morning about a possible partial refund for paying so much for such a room and were directed to a sign that says we had ten minutes to take it or leave it. In all the places we've stayed up north, this is the first time we've ever seen a sign like this. Mmm, makes you wonder what prompted them to post such a sign. We thought maybe they'd at least offer us a complimentary breakfast in their own restaurant for having paid for such a room which would have been no skin off their nose, but of course that was out of the question. This is one place we will definitely try to avoid in the future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Martin D
Andrew S, General Manager at Andrea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Some people would do the best they can to get a huge discount and spend a little when they are travelling and make a lot of excuses just to get what they want. This guests are example. And since we are experiencing so much alike during summer, the management put a sign at the front desk that says, they can check the room before they rent it and they have 10 minutes to refund if they feel uncomfortable for any reason. During the whole night they've stayed, they keep on complaining on so many things after another and yes the front desk was very patient to help them to feel better and comfortable. She already given them a discount and she even wrote a note for the next shift that these guest are no longer allowed for a discount because they already availed it. If you look at his review, it is confusing when he said he needed a blanket to cover the window (which has already have blinds) and then said there were no lamps and it was too dark. They've asked for a packaging tape to get the blanket hang by the window. There is no place in town that does have an air conditioning unit in the rooms so does everybody has an electric fan.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our room at Andrea's Hotel had been recently renovated. It was fresh clean and comfortable. Front desk personnel were courteous and professional. Restaurant had good food at reasonable prices. Maybe this hotel has improved due to bad reviews, but we have no regrets staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Andrew S, Manager at Andrea's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for giving us a positive review on this site. We do our best to make a difference and continuously making an effort to do well. Unlucky we are that most of our satisfied guests do not mind putting their positive reviews on this site. In general, it is always easy to spread bad things than the good ones. The management appreciate your kindness and effort for this review. May the good Lord keep you safe in your travels.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Short and sweet.
> Impersonal greeting from receptionist. She seemed too busy to give a care.
> The rate was the highest I paid during my two week vacation and I stayed in a couple of really nice places. Andreas hotel is not nearly as nice.
> Under renovations so the hotel is disassembled and shabby looking. Discount? No.
> Bare wooden board in corridors as they are renovating. Discount? No.
> Room electrical wiring really cant be up to code... creative to say the least.
> Rooms are painted fresh but bathroom sink was badly cracked and faucets rattled and were ancient. Go figure.
> A sign on a refrigerator in the lobby says 'Fresh Sandwiches'. Umm, They aren't fresh if they've been sitting there for hours dummies.
> Receptionist told me I had to write down my credit card number on paper so they could keep record of it. The paper was sitting in a pigeon hole in the wall for anyone to grab. Not cool.
> Some creepy old guy was hanging around looking very shifty. As a 35 year old male that can handle himself it wouldn't be a problem but he was very off and hovered around me. I wouldn't like him doing that to my girlfriend.
Hotels like this put me off towns. Its sad because I bet there's a nice side to Watson Lake.

Room Tip: Pick one in another hotel. There. Simple really!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank realcorkboy
Reviewed 20 May 2014

FYI: I am VERY forgiving about hotels. I arrived and the place was undergoing renovations. All floors were ripped out, Restaurant and bar were closed for renovations. I was met by a rather blunt lady that stated the rate of $130 which I felt was a little steep but I was too tired to argue. I should have taken the hint from the empty car park. She told me that I had to fill out a 'no partying or pets' form and to write my credit card number on it. I told her that my Bank wouldn't be too happy about a hand written record being held by them but she didn't care. I grabbed my key and proceeded to the room. The room was bizarre. New floors but no curtains. New paint and crown molding but cracked sink and ancient dripping faucets. Mismatched oddly shaped furniture and the worlds loudest mini fridge. Wiring for a ceiling fixture that looks plain unsafe and mattresses that feel like they were $100. This place is $60 at best but $130 is damn cheeky.

Room Tip: choose one in another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank realguigsy
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed there in April 2014. Tried Andrea's as we hadn't liked one of the other hotels in town. Very disappointing experience. First room was very noisy due to some drunken FN's downstairs, second room had almost tropical temperatures in it, so bad that it made me sick. Mechanic said it was due to the "climate change". Third room on the other side of the corridor was finally okay, which was just as well as it was almost midnight by then. The staff was nice but I would never stay at Andrea's again (the restaurant was fine though). Will drive right through Watson Lake next time and stop elsewehere. Dreadful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Werner010
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We were northbound in June and the 24 hour sunlight confused us. Having driven longer than we should Watson Lake was our resting point.We chose Andreas. Never again would we stay there. Hot, dirty, inadequate ventilation. No A/C and miserable small fan. I know it was a warm time in the Yukon but should have driven on to White Horse.

Room Tip: 2nd floor did not help with any air flow
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob R
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I recently spent eight days with the folks at andera's hotel and the Dragons Den hotel . i look forward to going back the effort by staff was great and the home style cooking was top shelf , they even make their own bread . My only regret is that I waited till the last day to try their pizza ,Home made sauce and dough makes the differance . See you all next year.
Scooter

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Been to Andrea's Hotel? Share your experiences!