Brown's Manor Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Picton
See available hotels
Merrill Inn(Picton)
Travelers Inn(Belleville)
View Hotel
All reviewscolonial roomambassador roomthird floorb bfront porchhomemade preservesprince edward countywrap around porchjohnson streetproviding informationhelpful hostsgreat charactermade from scratchfrench press coffeemodern bathcurb appealperiod furniture
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a great trip to the county, and our accommodations at Brown's Manor were beyond our expectations. Diane and Ross were great hosts, their breakfasts fabulous, and their century home impeccable. Our room was spacious, and we felt very comfortable. A very inviting home with inviting hosts.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl N
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Ross and Diane are superb hosts and work hard at creating an unparalleled experience for their guests. My husband and I just got home from a weekend at Brown’s Manor and we can’t wait to return.

While many of the things I mention may be insignificant to others, I’m a detail-oriented person and I found that our stay at Brown’s Manor exceeded my rather high expectations. These small and considerate touches show to anyone, detailed or not, how much thought and care Ross and Diane Lindsay put into their B&B.

THE HOUSE
First, I know other reviewers have commented on their beautiful, perfectly-maintained home from the 1900s. I’m personally not “into” antiques. However, their tasteful, carefully thought-out colour schemes, draperies, wallpapers, furnishings and décor throughout could possibly change my mind about this. We’ve stayed in century homes before and they were definitely old houses. But Brown’s Manor has been refurbished lovingly, kept up meticulously, and cleaned religiously! Seriously, I’ve never been to a cleaner B&B before (they ask guests to remove their shoes when indoors -- you could eat off the floors they’re so spotless)!

Brown’s Manor is conveniently located down the block and around the corner from the Main Street in Picton, where all the shops, restos, theatre, etc. are located. We parked our car at Brown’s and never moved it once over the weekend. You can also walk to the water from the Manor – it’s just down the block.

OUR ROOM
We stayed in the Colonial Room on the second floor, with a very lovely, spacious ensuite. The furniture, the wallpapers, the artwork all showed off the Lindsays’ impeccable taste. There was almost more drawer space in this room than what I have at home, plus ample closet space with flocked hangers and two soft, plush bathrobes tucked inside. What a great surprise! There was also an oversized full-length mirror on the closet door, plus a dresser mirror. These I often find lacking in B&Bs.

My husband and I were set on sleeping in a king bed and that immediately limited our B&B choices. What we weren’t expecting were the high-quality linens (Who irons pillowcases these days?! How luxurious!), choice of pillow styles and the most comfortable mattress we’ve ever slept on. Unfortunately, Diane told us the manufacturer stopped making that model or we’d be purchasing one for our home.

The ensuite included a modern, one-piece shower stall with its own light and a gorgeous, wide-ledge pedestal sink, perfect for perching his-and-hers toiletries on either side (plus there was a glass shelving unit next to the sink for other toiletries). Again, it was clear that the proprietors carefully thought out every convenience: thick, amply-sized towels; a hook for hanging your toiletries bag; a pull-out magnifying hand-mirror and a hair dryer mounted on either side of the sink.

There was also a TV in the room (we didn’t use it) and a bottle of water with water glasses, wine glasses and corkscrew on the dresser. For your convenience, there’s a full-size shared refrigerator on the third floor, and the self-serve tea/coffee area in the dining room is available 24/7 if you want a hot beverage.

THE FOOD
Our breakfasts were consistent with the efforts made throughout the B&B. Each day we were first treated to fresh-made fruit salad, Greek yogurt and homemade granola. On the first day, this was followed by slices of back bacon roast, scrambled eggs and potatoes with toast. Do you think they served us store-bought jam? Of course not -- we got Diane’s homemade blueberry/Grand Marnier preserves! The next day our main consisted of waffle wedges, maple syrup and piped rosettes of whipped cream, sided with sausage. Your meal is served at 9 a.m. and while we were the only guests that weekend, normally everyone is seated for 9 so that guests can eat at the same time. It’s the considerate way to feed everyone without keeping folks waiting for latecomers.

THE PROPERTY
Sadly, we visited Brown’s Manor at a time of year when snow was still lingering, so we weren’t able to witness the gardening skills of Ross. We will definitely be back to check out his green thumb, as we’ve heard that wedding parties have even requested to have their photos taken in the yard. I’m sure it’s a lovely place to sip coffee, a glass of wine, or watch the fireflies dance over the flowers.

There is a cozy sitting area downstairs for guest use, furnished with comfy armchairs, a loveseat and the most colourful Tiffany-style lamp. We read, listened to music and did computer work one evening here. Other thoughtful touches for guests: umbrellas for borrowing, and when you bring your bikes, you can lock them up in the garage. Ross, being an avid cyclist, is more than happy to help you plan a route.

YOUR HOSTS
In fact, Ross and Diane would be more than happy to help you out in any way. They are knowledgeable about the history of the area, all the local shops and sightseeing, and will even make your dinner reservations for you. They know everyone in town and made our resos at Portabella, then confirmed by placing a sticky note on our door. I’m sure that had something to do with us having the best seat in the house, a cozy nook for two by the front window. Ross and Diane work diligently and go the second mile to ensure you have a stellar, memorable visit to their home, as well as to Prince Edward County.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helga_Little_Horn
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a great stay with Diane and Ross. They made us feel very comfortable and just like home. Our chats were very pleasant. They were very flexible in their services and availability of the house. The room was beautiful and they have done a great job renovating throughout the house. We highly recommend the Brown's Manor to anyone considering a stay in Picton or vicinity.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I wanted to have a special birthday and decided to celebrate in Picton. It was my second stay at Brown’s Manor and the perfect choice. Diane and Ross are incredible hosts. The house is beautiful and when you step inside, it warms the soul. They welcomed us into their home and from the moment we stepped into Brown’s Manor, I knew it would be another memorable stay. The room was spacious with a large ensuite, both were spotless. Diane looked after our dinner reservations and Ross mapped out a route which gave us a good look at the diversity of the area. From farms, quaint shops, restaurants and wineries, it was all encompassing. Breakfast featured local products, a great reflection on the passion that they have for the area and its’ agriculture. We highly recommend Brown’s Manor. It truly is a five star experience. It is within walking distance of downtown Picton, a charming town with lots of character.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My boyfriend booked Brown's Manor B&B for our three-night getaway to celebrate my birthday. He knew I always wanted to experience a B&B vacation in a traditional place so although he didn't reveal where exactly we were going, it wasn't a complete surprise when he pulled into the driveway of this beautifully restored mansion. What surprised me was how wonderful the hosts Diane and Ross are! They made us feel at home right away and throughout the three days we spent there. The house was immaculate and beautifully decorated with nice period furniture. They arranged for us to stay on the top floor so that we occupied the whole floor with total privacy. The huge king-size bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was spacious. Sitting at the window seat in our 3rd. floor bedroom hideaway we enjoyed a wonderful view of huge trees in the yard. The breakfasts each morning was delicious and huge. We never had to go for lunch except the afternoon tea and snacks at Miss Lily’s Cafe just around the corner. We enjoyed our dinner at Marrill Inn very much on the first night. It was small but had a very nice ambiance and the food was the best I could remember. Unfortunately we didn’t enjoy a dinner at Blumen Garden Bistro as the food and the service were both surprisingly bad. Not simply "not up to standard, but "Bad"! Although our hosts Diane and Ross graciously pre-arranged to cover the cost of our dessert, our dining experience had already sadly reached the point of being unsalvageable. This was my first trip to Picton. Although the weather was cold, our hosts and their beautiful house made this trip much enjoyed by us, and this wonderful experience made me look forward to more trips like this in the summer time.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor which has a big bedroom and bathroom with jacuzzi and very private.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple