“Beautiful spot, breathtaking view, exceptional value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Doll House Bed & Breakfast at Sandbanks
Ranked #30 of 42 Picton B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“Beautiful spot, breathtaking view, exceptional value”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I hesitate to write this review, because my partner and I would like to keep this place a secret, but we had a really nice time at this b&b and thought it only fair to tell about it.

Firstly, Donna is an experienced hostess who made us feel very welcome - she made arrangements for us to arrive at an hour outside of the normal arrival time, and as well made us a delicious homemade breakfast for our early start. She provided us with travel details to her place, knew a lot about the area, assisted us with getting to the park (sandbanks are gorgeous!) and as well we could use her private beach ( big plus!).
Definitely above what I was expecting, especially because it was a very busy time for business.

Initially I was perplexed as to why she charges so little for her rooms, but they are everything the website claims - a good size, clean, easy access to the beach, and all 3 options had private entrances, so I didn't mind about there being no bathroom attached to the room - it was nice to get out and see the other guests and their children. It was generally a friendly atmosphere and we felt we got a very good price, considering the location. We stayed in the 'beach front' room, and next year I hope to stay in the 'gnome cottage'. I'm totally sold on b and b's now!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ChloeLIster

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My partner and I have stayed at the Doll House twice, in the "Gnome Cottage". That is a cute little cottage on the grounds of the Doll House. It is just big enough for a bed and a couch. The washroom is inside the house. Donna is a very hospitable host. She makes a wonderful breakfast with good coffee. The house itself is located on the lake, and very close to the Sandbanks provincial park. There are a couple of restaurants nearby and many more in Picton, which is a short drive away.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Giselle74
Ottawa
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We were 2 adults and our 7 yr old son in the group. Firstly, to stay in a B&B is a mind set. I've always stayed in private rooms, so this was a first for me. The location was great, right on West Lake, and we stayed in the double room known as the 'beachfront' room. It has it's own deck and chairs and was 20 feet from a private beach. When you look across the lake you can see the Sandbanks!

Unfortunately the room lacked the privacy I would like. You enter either through a small doll/miniature shop the lady runs OR through a lockable door at the lakefront of the home. Now that might seem OK to you, but the store entry had French doors with glass panes and curtains to be drawn from the store side only! I would have liked the curtains to be on my side of the door to prevent snooping people from looking into the room. No locks on those doors either, so a bit nervous leaving valuables behind. A bit unsettling for us. Thankfully for us, bad bad for her, there were no customers to worry about.

The room was a decent size with 2 double beds, a table with 2 chairs and a small sofa. [Note to tall people, beds are short and have foot boards, so a bit of a tight sleep for 2 people] Another drawback is that the washroom facilities were at the other end of the house and the shower was located in her bedroom. Not very private or sensible to this city slicker!

She made a wonderful breakfast for us and she was a pleasant lady. Too bad that the room wasn't in a better position within the house. She has other, smaller rooms to let, which might be better for you. Please inquire with her.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of privacy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank CdnBlossom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Picton Harbour Inn
#3 of 12 in Wellington
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton

Been to Doll House Bed & Breakfast at Sandbanks? Share your experiences!