“A lovely time, again”

Sleepy Hallowell Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Sleepy Hallowell Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 43 Picton B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A lovely time, again”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I've stayed at Hallowell twice and will so again, maybe this year. The place is just lovely, quaint in a country way and very cozy. Breakfast was perfect, huge and filling. My only complaint was that I left a par of runners there and didn't realize it until I was back home.
Maybe they're still there ! I wouldn't be surprised.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank F1FAN001

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this B&B the weekend after Labour day and we thought it was nice from the pictures and the price was reasonable. The owner offered us a discount on the rooms since we were planning on staying 2 nights. When we got there, both my fiance and I thought that the customer service was a little lacking from the owner, we had to ask her for everything e.g. how to turn the heat on, what time breakfast would be served, where to get glasses, what there was to do in the area, we even had to introduce ourselves since she hadn't done so when we arrived!
She was, however, nice enough to lend us her park permit because we were going to Sandbanks (which is a only a short distance away which was good).
We stayed in the Guest room. The room was alright, though we thought the covers were kind of dusty. However, the rest of the house is really neat and tidy. The t.v. was missing a remote control because some previous patrons had stolen it....so trying to change channels on the t.v. was cumbersome.
The bathroom was down the hall a bit from the room and was really cute, but the taps were weird since there was a separate faucet for hot water and one for cold.
Now, regarding sleep quality, I had a really bad night's sleep at this place. I had left one of the room windows open since it had gotten really stuffy at night. At around 4am there was a really bad smell (smokey smell) that came in through the windows... that made me really sick. Also, the house is a corner lot so the traffic driving by was really loud.
The breakfast was not bad. There was eggs, sausage, toast, fruit, OJ and potatoes. The potatoes were good.
We ended up leaving a day earlier than planned because we both didn't sleep well there and then ended up paying the full rate - which was OK since it was the weekend. All-in-all our stay at the Sleepy Hallowell B&B was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank misschanel28
OwnerPicton, Owner at Sleepy Hallowell Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
We at Sleepy Hallowell Bed and Breakfast feel it is truly unfortunate that a guest did not enjoy their stay at our establishment. We recognize that everyone's tastes are different. Our experience in operating our family-run business since 2000 has given us insight into what some of those tastes are and what many people look for in a bed and breakfast. We also welcome suggestions, especially those that are made on site and at the time so that we can address them as they arise to help in making our guests stay an enjoyable one. Ultimately, we make reasonable efforts to make our guests feel comfortable and happy.

It was surprising, and even shocking, to find this negative review. There were no concerns communicated to us by these guests. And the other guests that were staying during this particular weekend did not hold it against our establishment that these guests came in very late, and were rather loud and disruptive. Although we are accepting of all people, regardless of race, age, gender, etc., we think that "party-goers" and hangovers may be better serviced at a hotel rather than at our quaint bed and breakfast.

We wish to provide clarification:

1. It is policy for us to introduce ourselves when first meeting guests so that we can cross reference their names in our reservation book and escort them to the appropriate room. In addition, we give guests a choice of given times in which they can choose from to enjoy their home-cooked breakfast in the morning. You had asked a couple of times if we could serve breakfast at noon, or shortly thereafter. As mentioned then, we do not mind serving a late breakfast, but not in the afternoon. We regret that you were upset that I would not serve your fiance breakfast at lunch time. We did provide the use of our microwave for her to heat up her meal once she finally got up.

2. Our cancellation policy is less stringent than most and clearly stated on our site. And despite our policy, we did not charge you for the second night, even though we could have since you gave us no notice when cancelling at the last minute. It was more than fair of us to charge you the regular rate as it was still peak season, and a discount was only being applied if you stayed multiple nights. I regret that you were upset that I had you at least pay the regular rate for the one night stay.

3. We prepare the bedrooms with fresh linens laundered after each guest.

4. There are glasses in each of the bedrooms, and additional ones located on the sideboard in the dining room, where guests have easy access to. These are in plain sight beside the Tassimo machine, and often beside the bake goods for guests to snack on during the day if they so wish. In addition, we have a binder on a table at the bottom of the stairs that contain advertisments and brochures of area attractions. This, too, is in plain view. We will share any information with guests if they ask and indicate their areas of interest. The County has a lot to offer, and I daresay I would hate to show bias or neglect by having to pick and choose where guests should go based on my own personal interests.

5. We regret that you have a very sensitive olfactory system, and did not like the smell of camp fires coming in from outside.

6. It may have been better to turn the heat off in the room, rather than to have opened a window and keep the heat on. That was most likely why you found the room stuffy. The heater is efficient and warms up quickly. The temperature outside did not warrant the heat to be on in the first place, which is why we never thought to tell you that the dial on the heater rotates clockwise and counter-clockwise to turn it on or off. We regret that you had trouble figuring it out.

Although our place may not have been what you were looking for, Sleepy Hallowell Bed and Breakfast certainly has a wonderful staff, clean rooms, and offers quality service.

Best regards, and I hope you and your fiance are happily married.
Owner
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I wanted to write this review because having read the two previous posts, we really debated booking. I'm so glad we did... our hostess Sherlyn was incredibly warm and welcoming despite the fact that she had hurt her foot, and it was her birthday!

She even gave me a parting gift... something that's never happened to me in my life. These guys made a huge lasting impression on me, and I will always treasure my trip to Prince Edward County because of it.

There were beautiful toiletries and linens in the room. Breakfast was hearty and pretty good. A special plate was made for our baby at no extra charge. They do have pets but they were kept away at all times.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 16 September 2009

While staying at the Sleepy Hallowell this summer with my girlfriend, I asked her to marry me! The setting and beauty of Prince Edward County and the accommodations we were given, brought everything together for us. The Bed and Breakfast is located in an old century home that has been completely updated to better serve the guests. This year, the home was undergoing a few large projects that did not interrupt our stay in the least. The host maintains a meticuos home that is clean and well laid out. My fiance and I had the luxury of a large king sized bed with private washroom, esentially an upstairs to ourselves. After turning in, we were taken by the quaint surroundings and the quietness a small town provides, it was absolutely gorgeous. Our sleep was deep and we slept in past breakfast. To the credit of the host, she had kept our morning breakfast ready. It was supperb. Later in the day we took advantage of the swimming pool to cool down and of coarse toured the many wineries in the area. Our stay could noy have been any better. Our memorable stay will be with us for years as we celebrate our engagement. I encourage others to stay as well.

• Stayed July 2009